[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Word wrap changes in HC 2.0

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (11/01/90)

It seems that word wrap in text fields has been changed in version
2.0.  In pre-2.0 text fields, text would wrap at a hyphen ("-")
character.  This doesn't seem to happen with HC 2.0, at least not by
default.

Was this done on purpose and -- more to the point -- is there any way
to restore the old behavior?

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (11/02/90)

In article <2763@esquire.dpw.com> baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten)
writes:
>It seems that word wrap in text fields has been changed in version
>2.0.  In pre-2.0 text fields, text would wrap at a hyphen ("-")
>character.  This doesn't seem to happen with HC 2.0, at least not by
>default.
>
>Was this done on purpose and -- more to the point -- is there any way
>to restore the old behavior?

Word wrap in HyperCard 1.x is really very odd.  You might be familiar
with the way it leaves parentheses and quotation marks hanging at the
end of lines.  The good news is that all of that weird stuff is fixed in
HyperCard 2.0 -- we now use the standard word wrapping mechanism built
into TextEdit, which not only eliminates those old bugs but also gives
us the highest degree of compatibility across international versions of
the system software.  The bad news is that the word wrap mechanism used in
HyperCard 1.x has some advantages over TextEdits's, wrapping at hyphens
being one example, and those advantages are now lost.

HyperCard 2.0 still uses the old word wrapping mechanism for unconverted
1.x stacks.  After you convert them, we use the standard word wrapping
mechanism.

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Engineer
Apple Computer, Inc.

bayes@hpislx.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (11/06/90)

> Word wrap in HyperCard 1.x is really very odd.  You might be familiar
> with the way it leaves parentheses and quotation marks hanging at the
> end of lines.  The good news is that all of that weird stuff is fixed in
> HyperCard 2.0 -- we now use the standard word wrapping mechanism built
> into TextEdit, which not only eliminates those old bugs but also gives
> us the highest degree of compatibility across international versions of
> the system software.  The bad news is that the word wrap mechanism used in

This is great!  I have an informational stack of some 300KB, and
inserting RETURN characters to get quotes to "stick" to their words was
getting old fast, esp when I wanted to resize a field.  Hyphen wrap is
nice, but I gladly give it up in favor of this.  Improper grouping of
punctuation seriously affects readability; hyphen wrap affects
aesthetics only (usually).

> HyperCard 1.x has some advantages over TextEdits's, wrapping at hyphens
> being one example, and those advantages are now lost.

> HyperCard 2.0 still uses the old word wrapping mechanism for unconverted
> 1.x stacks.  After you convert them, we use the standard word wrapping
> mechanism.
>
> Kevin Calhoun
> HyperCard Engineer
> Apple Computer, Inc.

Now if I could only get 2.0. The dealer insists I have to pay for it. Is
anyone out there able to (at least quasi-legally) send me a copy, or make
it available to FTP?

Scott Bayes
"I have my own Lion Tamer's Hat."