[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Network and multiusers question...

stacyb@hp-vcd.HP.COM (stacyb) (11/08/90)

The HyperCard 2.0 handbook says that on a network, a stack is accessible by
two or more people at the same time, however, write capabilities are only
given to the first person.  I am having problems letting more than one person
open a stack.  Any clue as to how this can be remedied?

Stacy Bell
Hewlett-Packard, Vancouver division

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (11/09/90)

In article <1500003@hp-vcd.HP.COM> stacyb@hp-vcd.HP.COM (stacyb) writes:
>The HyperCard 2.0 handbook says that on a network, a stack is accessible by
>two or more people at the same time, however, write capabilities are only
>given to the first person.  I am having problems letting more than one person
>open a stack.  Any clue as to how this can be remedied?
>

>Stacy Bell
>Hewlett-Packard, Vancouver division

Perhaps you're referring to The Complete HyperCard 2.0 Handbook by Danny
Goodman.  I'm not sure.  In any case, this statement is not correct.
If anyone has write capability to a stack, HyperCard 2.0 does not allow
anyone else to open it.  If you lock the stack from the Finder, then
more than one person can open it at the same time -- and no one will have
write capability.

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Engineer
Apple Computer, Inc.

maller@applelink.apple.com (Steve Maller) (11/09/90)

In article <1500003@hp-vcd.HP.COM> stacyb@hp-vcd.HP.COM (stacyb) writes:
> The HyperCard 2.0 handbook says that on a network, a stack is
> accessible by two or more people at the same time, however,
> write capabilities are only given to the first person.

This is incorrect. If *anyone* has write access to a stack, all other
users are prohibited from accessing the file. The only way for multiple
users to have access is if the stack is locked, or in a folder that has no
write permissions.

Steve Maller                    Disclaimer: Please don't tell anyone
Software Commando                           you saw me here.
HyperCard Engineering Team
Apple Computer