[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Goodman's HC2 book complete?

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (11/07/90)

Sorry, for bringing up the book topic again...

  Could someone tell me if Goodman's HC 2.0 book is complete with
respect to HyperTalk? I.e. does it contain descriptions of the whole
HT 2.0 vocabulary?

  I'm searching for a book which contains a HT reference and also some
descriptions about all new features in HC in general.

    /Olle

jk3t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan King) (11/07/90)

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:
> Sorry, for bringing up the book topic again...

Don't be.  It looks like lots more people are finally getting copies of 2.0 and
so the information is timely.

>   Could someone tell me if Goodman's HC 2.0 book is complete with
> respect to HyperTalk? I.e. does it contain descriptions of the whole
> HT 2.0 vocabulary?

I looked at the Goodman HC2.0 book in the bookstore, but then bought a
different book.  Here's why:  while Goodman's book seems to have
improved in the new edition, it still is not (nor does it really
pretend to be) a definitive HyperTalk reference.  It just doesn't tell
you everything you may need to know.

The book I *did* buy, however, boldly claims to be a definitive
HyperTalk reference, and since one of its co-authors was the guy who
designed HyperTalk, the claim is fairly convincing.  And this book is
much more complete than Goodman, and even much more complete than
Apple's own (now outdated) HyperCard Script Language Guide.  We're
talking 958 pages of information not only on HyperTalk 2.0, but also
on HyperTalk 1.2 and the differences between the two, including dozens
of obscure bugs in HyperTalk 1.2.  The only problems are a bunch of
typos in the text, and an index that really doesn't do justice to 900+
pages of content (way too short).

>   I'm searching for a book which contains a HT reference and also some
> descriptions about all new features in HC in general.

The book described above (and whose reference is below) is *the*
complete commercially available HT reference, and covers some of the
new features of HC as they affect scripting.  I don't know it that's
exactly what you want.

Here's the reference:

Dan Winkler and Scot Kamins.
HyperTalk 2.0:  The Book.
Bantam, 1990.  958 pp.
ISBN 0-553-34737-3
$29.95 in US, $37.95 in Canada, probably ridiculously expensive elsewhere

>     /Olle

jking

hawkwind@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Wes Lee Sanford) (11/08/90)

 Goodman's HyperCard 2.0 book is not a HyperTalk Book.  The best HyperTalk
book I've seen is put out by Addison-Wesley Publishing.  The book is called
HyperCard Scripting Language Guide: The HyperTalk Language.  You can get it
from APDA 1-800-282-2732.  The issue of ADAlog is the Spring issue.  I'm sure
that the version of this book for HyperCard 2.0 has been released.  This book
was recommended by Apple's finest HyperCard Guru's.  I have a copy of the book
for 1.2.5 and it is a really great book

Wes Sanford
Ball State University

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (11/08/90)

In article <12015@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> hawkwind@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Wes Lee Sanford) writes:
> Goodman's HyperCard 2.0 book is not a HyperTalk Book.  The best HyperTalk
>book I've seen is put out by Addison-Wesley Publishing.  The book is called
>HyperCard Scripting Language Guide: The HyperTalk Language.  You can get it
>from APDA 1-800-282-2732.  The issue of ADAlog is the Spring issue.  I'm sure
>that the version of this book for HyperCard 2.0 has been released.  This book
>was recommended by Apple's finest HyperCard Guru's.  I have a copy of the book
>for 1.2.5 and it is a really great book

The HyperCard Scripting Language Guide for version 2.0 of HyperCard is NOT
available through APDA.  We are still only selling the version that covers
up through HyperCard v.1.2.5.

We do have three books, published by Bantam Books, that cover HyperCard 2.0:
The Complete HyperCard 2.0 Handbook, Third Edition by Danny Goodman
(P/N: T0148LL/B, $29.95)
HyperTalk 2.0: The Book by Dan Winkler and Scot Kamins
(P/N: T0399LL/A, $29.95)
Cooking with HyperTalk 2.0 by Dan Winkler and Scott Knaster
(P/N: T0398LL/A, $39.95)

Rick Fleischman
Developer Programs/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail: rickf@apple.com
AppleLink: FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (11/08/90)

I would like to add my recommendation to the book by Dan Winkler
and Scott Kamins, that Jonathan King mentions. I'm less than a hundred
pages into it at the moment, and so far, it certainly does tell you more
than you ever imagined you might want to know about HyperTalk. For
instance, it goes into painstaking detail over what happens when
you put into a nonexistent char, word, item or line of a container,
which aspects of this behaviour are actual features and which ones
are considered bugs.

The section on "debug hintBits" and "debug quickDraw" was particularly
interesting.

Lawrence "We Do Windoids" D'Oliveiro      fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+13:00

jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov7.024109.21329@sics.se>, ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:

> Sorry, for bringing up the book topic again...
>
>   Could someone tell me if Goodman's HC 2.0 book is complete with
> respect to HyperTalk? I.e. does it contain descriptions of the whole
> HT 2.0 vocabulary?
>
>   I'm searching for a book which contains a HT reference and also some
> descriptions about all new features in HC in general.
>

>     /Olle

I would recommend "HyperTalk 2.0: The Book" by Dan Winkler (Creator of
HyperTalk), and Scot Kamins (Member of the HyperCard Documentation Team).
Its published by Bantam (computer) Books, and sells for $29.95 US, and
$37.95 Canada.  It seems VERY thourough (I mean, let's consider the source!).
And it contains numerous example scripts.  It is NOT for the beginner in
HyperCard.  It is very useful for the intermediate (which I am), and should
be adequate for the advanced hypertalk programmer.  I've spent a little time
reading it, and it has described not only new features/commands that I can't
wait to try, but it also describes the MANY changes to old features/commands
that will make you want to go out an re-write your old stacks!

It can be found at any good bookstore or computer store that sells computer
books.

						Jim Collymore