[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Printing PostScript from Hypercard?

DBG@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (11/10/90)

Is there any way to cause some PostScript to be printed from Hypercard
on the Mac? I mean that in the way one can have PostScript in a special
style in MicroSoft Word, and it gets passed untranslated to the printer
where it is executed.
I remember in the early days there was a special font which one could
use in MacWrite which had that property. You would write a PostScript
program in that font, shrink the point size to 1 to make it disturb the
other text on the page as little as possible, and the program would
get passed to the printer and executed. I never understood how that
actually worked--anybody know? Is there a version which still works
with modern systems? I seem to recall there were some crashy bugs
which caused me to stop using it a long time ago.
I'd very much like to merge some PostScript code with normal printed
text from HyperCard if there is a way, substituting data from the
HyperCard into a PS string then manipulating it in PostScript.
-- David B. Gustavson, Computation Research Group, SLAC, POB 4349 MS 88,
    Stanford, CA 94309   tel (415)926-2863  fax (415)961-3530
-- What the world needs next is a Scalable Coherent Interface!
-- Any opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those
   of the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, the University, or the DOE.

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (11/13/90)

In <90313.190905DBG@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> DBG@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>I remember in the early days there was a special font which one could
>use in MacWrite which had that property. You would write a PostScript

  The font should be named "PostScript Escape". However, you could use
any font for this purpose: The name for the postscript escape font is
written in the 'STR ' resource id -8188 in the LaserWriter file. You could
change this to "Courier", "Times" or whatever you want. But keep in mind
that this will not work if you try to print with another print resource file.

 The easiest way is to take a copy of e.g. the Courier font, change the FONT
id number (>>128) and set the name to "PostScript Escape". To change the FONT
name in ResEdit you have to make some magically gestures with the optionkey
to view the FONT in size 0. Keep this stack in your font of your hat.

    /Olle