[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] H2.0 Corruption

maller@applelink.apple.com (Steve Maller) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov15.043749.29015@agate.berkeley.edu>
thomas@garnet.berkeley.edu writes:
> Does anyone know what the error msg "Your stack may be corrupted"
> refers to?

It means that while Compacting a stack we found an inconsistency that
prevents the stack from successfully compacting. If your XCMDs are doing
something irresponsible in memory and something bogus gets written to the
disk, this could cause the problem you describe. Does the stack exhibit
any other odd behavior?

Steve Maller                    Disclaimer: Please don't tell anyone
Software Commando                           you saw me here.
HyperCard Engineering Team
Apple Computer
itate, and I'll get right in line for some
+> >L-Dopamine injections from a trained Neurologist.
+
+	[story deleted]
+
+	Six months later, her bone cancer was in full remission.

	As you know, remission isn't cured.  I know someone personally who
	was given less than 1 month to live after being diagnosed with
	malignant melanoma, with metastasis in the lymph nodes, and tumours
	in the liver and lungs.  That was over to 2 years ago.  Since that
	time, the person who had the cancer has had surgery, chemotherapy,
	and radiation therapy.  This persons quality of life is good, such
	that they can go rock climbing, hiking, and in general live a quality
	life.

	So much for your seeming assertion that only fold medicine can put
	cancer into remission.
+
+	Please feel free to look it up. The magazine is IN HEALTH, I think it
+was the August issue. And before your western intellectual bigotry
+denounces In HEALTH as a loonie, fringe magazine - I suggest you go out
+and pick up a copy to evaluate.

	Until you take a valid statistical samplying of how cancer victims
	treated with Western medicine compare to those treated with Eastern
	medicine in terms of remission, quality of life, etc., anecdotal
	stories aren't proof of anything one way or another.
+
+	How about some anecdotal evidence? When my mother was a child in China,
+a girl in the village had stomach cancer. She went to all the western
+doctors and none of them could treat it. She went to lots of traditional
+chinese doctors who couldn't help her either. Finally she went a famous
+chinese doctor and was told to try eating a soup made from a particular
+variety of field snail and bok choy (sounds pretty flaky, huh?). After a
+few weeks, her cancer had disappeared.

	You mean it went into remission, right?

+	A few decades back, hypnosis would have been classified as "mysticism".
+Yet it is currently (relatively) respectable. Meditation has been shown
+to have disctinct physiological effects also.

	"Hyponosis" does have limited use.  So does the use of mind altering
	drugs.  So may chinese herbal remedies.  However, (he asserts), ALL
	of these things are the result of bio-chemistry, not mysticism.  Surely
	you're not claiming that the snail-cure mentioned above is something
	mystical?

+	Fifty years ago, a man of average build who claimed to be able to break
+a stack of bricks with their bare hands would have been called a phony.

	I've broken boards; it's no big deal.  Bricks aren't that much harder
	to do, particularly if they are a) thoroughly dried in an oven, b)
	happen to have internal stresses or even cracks which contribute to
	breaking, c) they are cast of porous materials, or d) they have air-gaps
	between them and the next brick down.  I've seen someone break, as
	I recall, 8 stacked bricks.  The feat was impressive, but no one,
	including the guy who did it, claimed it was mystical, or even any
	awesome martial arts ability.  It's just focus, strength, and basic
	physics.

+	FYI, L-dopamine is ONLY a symptomatic treatment for Parkinson's. Dosage
+levels of L-dopamine have to be increased constantly, and eventually
+become prohibitively expensive and ineffective. It is not a cure,
+anymore than AZT is a cure for AIDS.

	As I recall, the claim was not that L-dopa would cure Parkinsson's
	Disease, but that one using it would have a much more guaranteed
	return to a decent quality of life than one not using it.

	Further, while you may bash Western medicine all you want, keep in
	mind that the results of Western medicine, positive or negative,
	are documentable.  The work of local herbologists in every small
	village in China are not, so the claim that Eastern mysticism is a
	valid substitute for Western medicine (if indeed you are claiming
	that) is, at best, unproven.
--
    Robert Allen, rja@sun.com		DISCLAIMER: I disclaim everything.

    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
     by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw