[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Help removing password protection

mike@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Mike Nowak) (11/20/90)

One of our users has password protected his only copy of a stack.  He tried
to use the DeProtect XCMD to remove the password but apparently it hasn't
helped.  Are there other means for removing the password protection?

Electronic mail to the address above would be greatly appreciated!!

Michael Nowak.

mike@pyrite.SOM.CWRU.Edu (Michael Kerner) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov19.161009.12166@terminator.cc.umich.edu> mike@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Mike Nowak) writes:
>One of our users has password protected his only copy of a stack.  He tried
>to use the DeProtect XCMD to remove the password but apparently it hasn't
>helped.  Are there other means for removing the password protection?
>
>Electronic mail to the address above would be greatly appreciated!!
>
>Michael Nowak.

Deprotect does remove passwords just fine.  You may have a different problem.
Some stacks will set the UserLevel and CantModify upon entry (I do this with
my front-end network stacks so they will be sharable by users).  I haven't
tried it in HC 2.0, but DEPROTECT DOES REMOVE PASSWORDS EFFECTIVELY ON ALL
PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF HC.  I could be mistaken - that does happen from time
to time, but I've deprotected a bunch of stacks this past week.  Try the
following in the message box when the stack is loaded:

Set the CantModify of this stack to false
Set the userLevel to 5

That should clear up access problems (to scripts and the like).  One other
note - you have to set the maximum user level to 5 BEFORE you do that (in
the protection box) - otherwise no go.

Mike.