[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard 2.0 Trivia

dmittman@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Mittman) (11/21/90)

May I suggest that we start a HyperCard Trivia subject thread
for the amusement of HyperCard 2.0 and 1.x users? I submit the
following, pleading ignorance if it has already been documented
in Goodman's book, or other sources.

Triviata #1: About HyperCard... (2.0)

When choosen without modifiers, the About HyperCard... menu item
displays the randomly chosen name of a member of the development
team. When choosen while holding the Command key, the About HyperCard...
item displays the name our hero, Kevin Calhoun. Not to be outdone, you
too can have *your* name in lights! Choose About HyperCard... while
depressing the Option key, and voila, the Chooser name appears!

<end Triviata #1>

Another, non-trivial, question deserving another subject line.
I have succeeded in creating a card 1280x1280 by boosting
HyperCard's memory partition to 4096K. I then put the partition
size back to 2MB, and reloaded the 1280x1280 stack. It displayed,
(or seemed to), but the "resize" button was dimmed in the Stack
Info dialog. Anyone care to explain this? What is the max card
size?

					- David Mittman
					 DMittman@Beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (11/21/90)

In article <10485@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> dmittman@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV
(David Mittman) writes:

>I have succeeded in creating a card 1280x1280 by boosting
>HyperCard's memory partition to 4096K. I then put the partition
>size back to 2MB, and reloaded the 1280x1280 stack. It displayed,
>(or seemed to), but the "resize" button was dimmed in the Stack
>Info dialog. Anyone care to explain this? What is the max card
>size?

The maximum card size is, in fact, 1280 by 1280 pixels.  However,
HyperCard 2.0 won't let you create a card that's larger than you
have memory available to view.  And if you try to view an existing
card that's too large to fit entirely in memory, we display it in a
"standard-sized" window, 512x342 pixels.  When we do this, there are
several restrictions on editing -- for example, you can't use the paint
tools and you can't resize the card.  You can scroll around to see the
entire card, and typing and browsing still work as usual.

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Team
Apple Computer, Inc.

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (11/21/90)

I don't know if this is mentioned anywhere else, but if you hold
the option key down while doing a "Copy Card", the PICT item in
the Clipboard will contain a full-size card image, rather than
a miniature one.

There's a button in the "Readymade Buttons" stack that illustrates this,
as well as showing you a pretty hairy technique for selecting a menu item
with a modifier key.

And what could this be useful for? Can you say "custom visual effects"...?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+13:00
To someone with a hammer and a screwdriver, every problem looks
like a nail with threads.

leonardr@svc.portal.com (11/27/90)

In article <2324.274ac85a@waikato.ac.nz> ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
>I don't know if this is mentioned anywhere else, but if you hold
>the option key down while doing a "Copy Card", the PICT item in
>the Clipboard will contain a full-size card image, rather than
>a miniature one.
>
>And what could this be useful for? Can you say "custom visual effects"...?

	Although it would be wonderful if you COULD implement custom effects,
but the problem is NOT getting the picture of the CURRENT card, but the
picture/image of the NEXT card to be shown.  I would LOVE to see the guys at
Apple give us an XCMD callback for this as I have some wonderful visual
effects (all of the HC & MM Director, and then some) that would be great in
HC, but can't use them.

(If it helps you move faster, Kevin, the guys at Silicon Beach/Aldus are ;-)

+ Leonard Rosenthol              | Internet: leonardr@sv.portal.com  +
+ Software Ventures              | GEnie:    MACgician               +
+ MicroPhone II Development Team | AOL:      MACgician1              +

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.031203.7652@svc.portal.com> leonardr@svc.portal.com
writes:
>(If it helps you move faster, Kevin, the guys at Silicon Beach/Aldus
>are ;-)

Well, I think the guy to talk to about this would be Bill Duvall, the
new director of HyperCard development at Claris.  Maybe we can convince
him to set up a mailing address to which we can all send requests and
suggestions.

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Team
Apple Computer, Inc.