[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] 2.0 development

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (12/01/90)

>In article <1990Nov29.193346.12451@ccad.uiowa.edu> emcguire@ccad.uiowa.edu
>(Ed McGuire) writes:
[A brief criticism of the HC 2.0 distribution policy -- I won't repeat it.]

I had an interesting e-mail exchange with the author of the
article that spawned this thread.  Something about it got my
dander up.  Something important to me was being attacked, in
a sense, and I spent more time fighting back than I might if
my wallet had been stolen.  I am not sure why, exactly.
Although I have edited out all quotes of private correspondence,
I point out up front that the some of the discussion below
refers to the fact that I offered to make exact copies of the
5 HC 2.0 distribution disks that I obtained through the
MIT Mac user's group.

I apologize in advance if this offends anyone's sense of propriety
and acknowledge that my offer was inappropriate.  The gist of my
original mail message was that one should try the package before
criticizing it in an open forum.  Just hit 'n' if you are not
interested in reading a testimony to the HyperCard spirit;
this message is too long for this forum.  I apologize again.
[Sigh:  Disclaimer coming.  I don't speak for anyone but myself.]

We join this one-sided conversation in mid-stream.  Picture me
on my soapbox ... insert IMHO where appropriate .....

What *is* illegal is for me to announce to the world
that you can get your HC 2.0 upgrades from Bill.  The copy I got
was distributed by Apple, and amounts to the last issue of
HyperCard software that has the Apple copyright. ....  Apple
chooses to overlook postings that say "please help -- my copy
of Multifinder 6.1b9 is trashed -- please e-mail".  Now they have
specifically told people not to do that with HyperCard, because
somebody in Apple Legal thinks they need to know where the copies
go.  They are investing real money in HyperCard development, and
probably will charge money for subsequent upgrades at some time
in the future.  They are in business to make money.

In the process, they have done things that were far-sighted and
elegant.  I recall the first time I saw HyperCard ....

I had access to beta versions of HyperCard during the pre-1.0-release
stage and still use a photocopy of HyperTalk working draft version 4
as a reference when scripting.  A guy who was beta-testing gave me a
copy; two heads are better than one.  My comments got passed along
to Atkinson et al under his bug report and comments forms, I guess.
That's the way HC 2.0 was developed as well.  Many in the c.s.m.h
readership were beta-testing; there were certainly no general
proscriptions against copying HC 2.0bx during the period of time
in which the team was relying on the net communities for feedback.

Sorry if that offends your puritanical image of "legal distribution
channels" but thats the way the software industry works, by and large.
You have my permission to quote this verbatim to whomever you wish,
and you are welcome to include .....

Bill Johnston; 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

..... in your posting.  You'll rekindle the usual flamewar over the
gray areas of software distribution and intellectual property, but
nobody will dispute the basic points I've made.  (Well, maybe not.)

If it is of any interest to you, I happen to have gone out and
purchased a copy of HC 1.0 on the very day it was officially
released, or at least when the shipment hit Delaware.  I was
convinced from the beta version of the application that HC was the
most significant contribution to personal computing that had
ever been made, and I wanted the shrink-wrapped official version
as a souvenir.  Someday, I'd like to have Bill Atkinson autograph
it for me.  (And the HyperCard 2 team as well.)

So I already paid my $49, and I look a bit quizzically at the
whiners (I'm not referring to you) who keep complaining about
HC 2.0 policies.

The legal gobbledeygook surrounding the HyperCard 2 distribution
has nothing to do with Claris wanting to fool people into spending
money unnecessarily.  Prior postings by Apple people did
mention the user group distribution policy.

Does Bush have to start every press conference by quoting the
Constititution and every subsequent amendment ...

The HC press releases were posted in response to queries about
the contents of the Claris packages.  This has been an ongoing
hassle since Apple decided to move HyperCard to commercial
status.  A long battle was concluded with the decision to release
HyperCard 2.0 to users groups as an Apple copyrighted program,
followed by a shift to Claris and commercial status.  This
was a very complicated undertaking from a legal standpoint, an
engineering standpoint, and from a marketing standpoint.

Nobody pulled a fast one here to make a fast buck.  Even after
exhaustive beta testing there were still disagreements about
what HyperCard should do -- how complicated it should be for
new users -- how best to promote serious stackware development
by commercial developers.  How to do sound, what systems and
CPU's to support, how to manage multiple user access to
shared stacks, etc., etc. ??

HyperCard has become a serious program;  your original posting
said something to the effect that "I just want things to be
the same as before".  Well fine, then.  Keep using 1.2.5.
It is still an excellent application.

[The author asked if he should apologize for being a new
comp.sys.mac.hypercard subscriber.]

Most emphatically not.  Certainly not to me.  I appreciate your
'apology' but don't really think it was necessary.  I am just like
you -- a HyperCard hobbyist and would-be evangelist.

Sometimes it is appropriate to read for a while before posting a
critical article, though.  Particularly in one of the truly
net.politically-correct groups like c.s.m.hypercard in which
many of the members of the HyperCard development team have participated
in a very open and honest way, repeatedly and patiently answering
both advanced and new-user questions.

Jumping right in and proclaiming yourself 'disgusted' is just
a bit ugly in a situation like this.  On any other platform,
an application with the capabilities of HyperCard would cost
$500, be copy-protected, and a miserable failure because the
underlying ethic of HyperCard is based on user-customization
and code-sharing, which the [bad guys] hate.

If you call Claris, they will tell you how to get HyperCard, certainly.
Maybe *god forbid* a salesperson answers the phone and is permitted
under company policy to sell you a copy of the $49 upgrade (which
gives you the entry level documentation) -- without pointing out
that it is possible to obtain an undocumented, unsupported, and
potentially confusing set of stacks from BMUG.

Is this a crime?  That Claris prefers to distribute upgrades with
documentation so that people can use the product?

This article was not written for your benefit, entirely.  I prefer
to comment on USENET articles by e-mail, to avoid wasting bandwidth.

Should the mini-flamewar you've spawned continue, I will post an edited
version of this article, omitting personal references.  I give you
my permission to take the initiative and post yourself -- you may
use any of the ideas I have presented, provided that you attribute
it appropriately and include enough context to fairly represent
my position.

The reason that I suggest this is that, in my opinion, articles
such as yours do a dis-service to HyperCard in particular, and
the larger cause of free information exchange that is integral
to the HyperCard ethic.  I think that you must understand that on
some level, as you point out that you 'praise HC to any body who
will listen'.  My guess, and it's only a guess, is that you admire
many of the same aspects of HC that the rest of us do.

The flamers, and you've pointed out correctly that you are not
the only one, add fuel to the arguments of people at Apple that
HyperCard development expenses amount to casting pearls before
swine.  The HyperCard team fought valiantly to make their upgrade
as elegant as possible -- solicited and got feedback from users
regarding the distribution policy -- and successfully won the
right to distribute the HyperCard 2 binary to users groups under
the Apple copyright and the conditions I've mentioned above.

This issue means much more to me than a simple USENET flame-war.
Having followed HyperCard from its infancy, and knowing full well
that the IBMs and Microsofts of the world will never give us such
a product -- I fight for it any way I can.

Apple is a big company and is currently successful.  But it's continued
success, and ability to do great and elegant things like HyperCard
is hardly assured by the fact that I alone tout it.  The computer
giants and info-tyrants of the world DON'T LIKE HYPERCARD.

What's *wrong* with HyperCard?  The stackware can't be easily
copy-protected.  Users can take apart code and modify it to their
liking.  It's hard to protect trade secrets in a HyperCard stack --
anybody can view the code.   It's difficult to 'standardize' a
HyperCard stack.  The MIS department can't 'control' it.  Users
share insights and tips, and are so used to sharing what they
know that if somebody in Iowa wants to know how to get HyperCard
they're are liable to get an offer of assistance from someone
willing to bypass the 'official' users group distribution channels.

The dreadfulness and immorality of the HyperCard community is
such that Apple fails to stamp out these 'dangerous' trends.

HyperCard is worth $49.  It is worth $199.  It was *already* worth
that much before HC 2.0.  I bought my copy of HyperCard 1.0 because
I wanted to have a souvenir manual that someday I hope to have
autographed by the members of the development team.

I got my current copy of HC 2.0 by copying it from someone who
got his through an authorized users group.  Gosh, I am both a
criminal and a sap!  Somebody stop me before I order the Claris
upgrade anyway because it's probably worth the money!

Bill Johnston; 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949
johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu