[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] On hiding HyC 2.0 under multifinder

chris@trumpet.cit.cornell.edu (12/05/90)

Under the old version of HyperCard while you were running in multifinder
on a 9" screen, when you went to another program, HyperCard hit itself so
you could actually see the other program.  HyperCard 2.0 doesn't appear
to do this which is a pain when you have a small screen.  Any suggestions
on this?
Chris Stuart
Workstation Technologies
215 CCC
Cornell University
Ithaca, New York  14853
chris@trumpet.cit.cornell.edu       (607) 255-8304

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.154718.9314@trumpet.cit.cornell.edu> chris@trumpet.cit.cornell.edu writes:
|Under the old version of HyperCard while you were running in multifinder
|on a 9" screen, when you went to another program, HyperCard hit itself so
|you could actually see the other program.  HyperCard 2.0 doesn't appear
|to do this which is a pain when you have a small screen.  Any suggestions
|on this?

Sure; put the following into your home stack script.

on suspend
   hide card window
end suspend

on resume
   show card window
end resume

Personally, I view this as a feature.  Now, if I don't want the card window to
be hidden on my SE/30 it doesn't have to be.

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.154718.9314@trumpet.cit.cornell.edu>
chris@trumpet.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Under the old version of HyperCard while you were running in multifinder
>on a 9" screen, when you went to another program, HyperCard hit itself so
>you could actually see the other program.  HyperCard 2.0 doesn't appear
>to do this which is a pain when you have a small screen.  Any suggestions
>on this?

The basic idea you need is "the suspended", a new 2.0 global property.
Under 2.0, the suspended is set to true whenever HyperCard is in the
background. A basic handler would be

  on idle
    if the suspended is true then hide card window
    else show card window
  end idle

Of course, you may want to get fancier (take multiple windows into account,
refrain from hiding if the right edge of the window is far enough over to
expose the Finder's icon row, etc.). But this gives the general idea.
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

chris@trumpet.cit.cornell.edu (12/07/90)

Below is my original question and Chaz's response.  It does work if you are
"opening" a new application, but doesn't if you just choose an already
running application under multifinder.  Does anyone know what messages get
sent when you choose another application running under Multifinder.  Someone
else suggested using multifinder 6.1b9 with the "put aside..." option but
there should be some way of doing it without that.  Unless apple wasn't
thinking about 9" screens running multifinder.

>In article <1990Dec5.154718.9314@trumpet.cit.cornell.edu> chris@trumpet.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>|Under the old version of HyperCard while you were running in multifinder
>|on a 9" screen, when you went to another program, HyperCard hit itself so
>|you could actually see the other program.  HyperCard 2.0 doesn't appear
>|to do this which is a pain when you have a small screen.  Any suggestions
>|on this?

>Sure; put the following into your home stack script.

>on suspend
>   hide card window
>end suspend

>on resume
>   show card window
>end resume

>Personally, I view this as a feature.  Now, if I don't want the card window to
>be hidden on my SE/30 it doesn't have to be.

>chaz

>--
>Someone please release me from this trance.
>clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone
--

Barry.Chern@p4.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Barry Chern) (12/09/90)

chris writes in a message on 05 Dec 90...

chris writes in a message on 05 Dec 90...

C> Under the old version of HyperCard while you were running in
C> multifinder on a 9" screen, when you went to another program,
C> HyperCard hit itself so you could actually see the other program.
C> HyperCard 2.0 doesn't appear to do this which is a pain when
C> you have a small screen. Any suggestions on this

you can cause the open stack window to disappear with the following script:

on idle
  if the the suspended = the visible of card window then set  ~
     the visible of card window to not(the visible of card window)
  pass idle
end idle

("~" being used as the option-return character)

--
Barry Chern via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.4!Barry.Chern