[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Bug in clickText in HC 2.0

np@doc.ic.ac.uk (Nigel Perry) (12/03/90)

The clickText (and related functions) in HC 2.0 seem to report the
WRONG answer if you click to far to the right of a character.
I discovered this when working with a font with wide (VERY) characters,
clickText kept returning the space AFTER the clicked character.
Thinking my font made be screwy (I wrote it) I tried the following
in Palantino 12: "a w m i", sure enough if you click in the right
half of the "w" or "m" clickText returns a space!!! System config:
Mac+ 2.5Mb, 6.0.7, MF, HC2.0, Suitcase, various inits. Is this a real
bug, is there a workaround? Thanks in advance.

---
Nigel Perry                                  Department of Computing
                                             Imperial College
Janet: np@uk.ac.ic.doc                       London
ARPA:  np%uk.ac.ic.doc@ucl-cs                SW7
Uucp:  np@icdoc.UUCP, ukc!icdoc!np           England

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (12/12/90)

In article <2603@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> np@doc.ic.ac.uk (Nigel Perry) writes:

>The clickText (and related functions) in HC 2.0 seem to report the
>WRONG answer if you click to far to the right of a character.
>I discovered this when working with a font with wide (VERY) characters,
>clickText kept returning the space AFTER the clicked character.
>Thinking my font made be screwy (I wrote it) I tried the following
>in Palantino 12: "a w m i", sure enough if you click in the right
>half of the "w" or "m" clickText returns a space!!! System config:
>Mac+ 2.5Mb, 6.0.7, MF, HC2.0, Suitcase, various inits. Is this a real
>bug, is there a workaround? Thanks in advance.

This is a feature of TextEdit.  Specifically, HyperCard calls the TextEdit
routine TEGetOffset to find out which character you clicked, and when you
click on the right half of a character, it returns the next character.

We're still looking for a good workaround.

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Team
Apple Computer, Inc.

Disclaimer:  I'm not a spokeshuman for Apple.