[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Changing field font in HC 2.0

alex@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Alex Hartov) (12/11/90)

Can anybody explain to me what's wrong?
In Hypercard 2.0, I am using fields with different fonts.  I set the font using
the field's info dialog box.  So far so good.  The problem is that evry time I
compact the stack, one of the fields always reverts to the palatino font.  I
want it to be in moscow (russian) font, but it won't stay.  What's is going on?

Thanks for any clues
Alex
alex@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

smelly@polari.UUCP (Tom Benedict) (12/11/90)

Your problem with fonts not sticking in stacks after compaction is not a
new one.  It happened a lot with the beta releases of HC2.0
First , make sure you have v 2.0 or v2.0v2 of HC
Second, hold the option key down whilie compacting, That will rebuild the
stacks font tables.
If that don't work, you've got a font confilict , possibly. Is the Moscow
font installed on your system or in the stack? Try renumbering Moscow
with ResEdit or any font harmony utility.
Good luck.
tom Benedict

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (12/11/90)

In article <26790@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>
alex@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Alex Hartov) writes:
>the field's info dialog box.  So far so good.  The problem is that evry time I
>compact the stack, one of the fields always reverts to the palatino font.  I

There is a known bug in HyperCard 2.0 where fonts that don't exist in the
system file can be "compacted out" of the stack. It is fixed in 2.0v2,
which Claris is now shipping.
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) (12/12/90)

In article <2870@polari.UUCP> smelly@polari.UUCP (Tom Benedict) writes:
> Your problem with fonts not sticking in stacks after compaction is not a
> new one.  It happened a lot with the beta releases of HC2.0
> First , make sure you have v 2.0 or v2.0v2 of HC
> Second, hold the option key down whilie compacting, That will rebuild the
> stacks font tables.

Actually, the key combination to hold down is cmd-option, and you need to
hold it down during the whole compaction. Some stacks got a corrupted font
table from a bug in 2.0, and doing the aforementioned will rebuild the
font table. You only need to do this once.

Martin Gannholm
HyperCard 2.0 Engineer
Apple Computer

Exclaimer!!!   I typed this myself = I speak for myself...
..or..I never said it...Nobody heard me say it...You can't prove anything!