[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypercard to PC conversion programs

cjk@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Carl J Kuzmich) (12/14/90)

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am interested in obtaining the names of any programs that run on the PC that will allow me to convert a hypercard stack into a program or application that
will run on a PC or PC compatible computer.

I have stacks I developed in Hypercard, but my supervisor would like me to
find a way to convert them into a product that can also run on a PC.

Is there anything out there that can do this???????

Please answer me directly, if possible.....

Thanks

cjk@vms.cis.pitt.edu
cjk@unix.cis.pitt.edu

jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) (12/18/90)

In article <70231@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, cjk@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Carl J Kuzmich) writes:
> I am interested in obtaining the names of any programs that run on the PC that will allow me to convert a hypercard stack into a program or application that
> will run on a PC or PC compatible computer.
>
> I have stacks I developed in Hypercard, but my supervisor would like me to
> find a way to convert them into a product that can also run on a PC.
>
> Is there anything out there that can do this???????

You should try calling Heizer Software and ask about their program "ConvertIt!"
It allows you to convert HyperCard (HC) stacks to Toolbook (TB) books.  (Note:
Toolbook (by Asymetrix) runs in the MS-DOS world under Windows 3.0.)
Try calling them at 1-800-888-7667.

						Jim Collymore

ks3y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kenneth L. Simons) (12/19/90)

Someone suggested "ConvertIt!" (Heizer Software) to convert HyperCard
files on the Mac to ToolBook files on the IBM.  I have heard that this
works, but with difficulty.  You get a partly converted stack and do the
rest of the work yourself.  According to David Drucker of the Boston
Computer Society, it's a pain.

David suggested another method.  Spinnaker software (Cambridge, MA)
sells a product called "Plus" which is available for Mac & IBM.  It
costs about $300 a pop.  You have to use the Mac version to convert from
HyperCard to Plus.  Then you port it to the IBM and use the IBM version
to run it.  IBM users must have their own copies of Plus.  Apparently,
Spinnaker has plans to create a runtime module for IBM.  Developers
could buy the runtime module for about $500, then distribute as many
runnable copies of their stacks as they please.

Plus supposedly works very well for Mac to IBM conversion.  I doubt it
converts HyperCard 2.0 stacks (at least, so far).  It apparently won't
convert sounds (since IBM computers don't have the capabilities).  If
you use any XCMDs or XFCNs you have to recode them for the IBM.