[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Say it ain't so

clayton@thumper.bellcore.com (R. Clayton) (08/16/89)

If I want to translate the C string

   "And I said \"Is that so?\""

into a HyperCard string, do I really end up with

   "And I said " & quote & "Is that so?" & quote

or did I missing something in the HyperTalk manual?

R. Clayton
clayton@thumper.bellcore.com
{rutgers!}bellcore!thumper!clayton

jkc@apple.com (John Kevin Calhoun) (12/23/90)

I guess I opened up a can of worms.

In article <47429@apple.Apple.COM>, I write:

In article <8bPaaIO00UhW42DqNp@andrew.cmu.edu> ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Brian Patrick Arnold) writes:
>Do you honestly think Claris would take over HyperCard support and bring
>in the HyperCard team if Claris *didn't* have future plans for
>HyperCard?

Well, I'm not surprised that there's some confusion about all this.  But,
as you can tell from my signature, I'm not at Claris.  Here's what's
actually happening:

Although Claris is now in charge of the marketing and distribution of
HyperCard, the development team that produced HyperCard 2.0 is still at
Apple and still working on HyperCard.  We'll continue until the next
release is complete, at about the time System 7.0 ships.  This is the
best way, we think, to make sure that we'll have a version of HyperCard
that's compatible with System 7.0 ready at the right time.  (Please note
that I didn't say that HyperCard 2.0 won't work with System 7.0.)

After that, we'll turn HyperCard over to Bill Duvall, the new director
of HyperCard development at Claris.  I'm sure that he and his new team,
which he is in the process of assembling, will do great things.

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Team
Apple Computer, Inc.