[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Printing Text

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (12/24/90)

In article <1990Dec22.193052.3836@csc.anu.edu.au> inm501@csc.anu.edu.au writes:
>	I am posting this on behalf of a friend.  When you print from
>Hypercard, you are printing one page at a time.  She is involved in the
>development of a language software.  She wished the student can print
>off the content (text) from various cards on the same piece of paper,
>preferably from HC itself.  Is there a way?  The higher the level of
>automation the better, because the users are kids.

I can think of a couple of things that might solve her problem:

  HyperCard's Print Report feature lets you print text from all the cards
  in the stack, in column or label format. (This has been substantially
  improved in HyperCard 2.0; a script can now specify which cards to
  print data from.) Report-style printing is usually used to print short
  chunks of text; for instance, to print a list of names and addresses from
  an address stack.

  If she wants to print the cards themselves, but only certain ones, she
  can use "open printing" and "close printing" to group the desired cards
  in the same print job (so she can get more than one card per page):

   on mouseUp
     open printing
     print card 13
     print card "Gravy"
     print this card
     -- any card identifier can be used to specify cards to print
     close printing -- at this point, the job is sent as a group to
                    -- the printer
   end mouseUp

  If she wants to print certain long scrolling text fields, HyperCard 2.0
  has a command "print field". This is a menu item and can also be controlled
  from a handler:

    print field "My List"

If you could get some more specifics from her on exactly what she needs to
do, I could give better, more specific advice.
--
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a