[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Is HC/HyperTalk suited to copy non-HC files

majors@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Majors) (12/07/90)

suited to copy files from an AppleShare server onto a client machine,
based on where a given application already exists on the client's
hard disk(which folder).  So a user would click once on a button, and the work
would be done.  I know, it sounds like something that one would expect
to see written in C, Pascal, etc., but can HyperTalk code do this?,
and if so, how easily?  In case it matters: each client has 4MB of RAM.

Thanks.

^ Robert Majors          \ University of Washington  Language Learning Center v
^ majors@u.washington.edu \ tel 206-543-0536  snail: DH-40, Seattle, WA 98195 v
^<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

dlugose@uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) (12/28/90)

In article <12477@milton.u.washington.edu> majors@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Majors) writes:
>suited to copy files from an AppleShare server onto a client machine,
>based on where a given application already exists on the client's
>hard disk(which folder).  So a user would click once on a button, and the work

   There are two stacks needed for what you want to do:
  1) Mount/Unmount  -- handles mounting Appleshare volumes
    -- but password is saved as text!  Could be semi-hidded with a
    -- bullet font where every char is the same bullet; but a HC
    -- scripter would know that he could read the password by either
    -- changing the field font, or "put field password"
  2) Support Tools eXternals, also from Apple, contains XCMDs to
    a. show list of volumes
    b. do HFS copy of files, folders
    c. list folder contents
    d. many others

Now if I can get QuickMail to work with Sys 7.0b1, it'll be easy to
mail stacks to people!

--
Dan Dlugose
Internet: dlugose@uncecs.edu

Dan.Dlugose@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Dan Dlugose) (12/28/90)

Majors) writes:
>suited to copy files from an AppleShare server onto a client machine,
>based on where a given application already exists on the client's
>hard disk(which folder).  So a user would click once on a button, and the work

   There are two stacks needed for what you want to do:
  1) Mount/Unmount  -- handles mounting Appleshare volumes
    -- but password is saved as text!  Could be semi-hidded with a
    -- bullet font where every char is the same bullet; but a HC
    -- scripter would know that he could read the password by either
    -- changing the field font, or "put field password"
  2) Support Tools eXternals, also from Apple, contains XCMDs to
    a. show list of volumes
    b. do HFS copy of files, folders
    c. list folder contents
    d. many others

Now if I can get QuickMail to work with Sys 7.0b1, it'll be easy to
mail stacks to people!

--
Dan Dlugose
Internet: dlugose@uncecs.edu
UNC Educational Computing Service
Box 12035, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2035

--
Dan Dlugose - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Dan.Dlugose