[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HC 2.0 and Mac IIsi

thorn@godot.RadOnc.UNC.EDU (Jesse Thorn) (12/19/90)

I'm new to this group so forgive me if this has already been kicked
down the beach.

About 4 weeks ago I bought a Mac II si. There was an abbreviated
version of Hypercard with the system. There were Home, Address, and
Appointment stacks. That's all. I couldn't set my user level above
Typing, so I couldn't create any stacks.

Included with the release was a postcard that promised a more complete
version of HC 2.0. I mailed it in and am still waiting.

Has anyone else had this experience? How do I get the real HC 2.0?

Thanks
Jesse Thorn
thorn@godot.radonc.unc.edu

howie@intermec.UUCP (Howard Kaplan x6596) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec18.215715.13101@godot.RadOnc.UNC.EDU> thorn@godot.radonc.unc.edu () writes:
>I'm new to this group so forgive me if this has already been kicked
>down the beach.
>
>About 4 weeks ago I bought a Mac II si. There was an abbreviated
>version of Hypercard with the system. There were Home, Address, and
>Appointment stacks. That's all. I couldn't set my user level above
>Typing, so I couldn't create any stacks.
>
>Included with the release was a postcard that promised a more complete
>version of HC 2.0. I mailed it in and am still waiting.
>
>Has anyone else had this experience? How do I get the real HC 2.0?
>
>Thanks
>Jesse Thorn
>thorn@godot.radonc.unc.edu

This is the second message of this nature.  Hypercard 2.0 delivered with your
system software does not include any level above typing.  To get the complete
package you must buy it for $48 from Claris.

I received mine a few weeks ago and to tell you the truth I wouldn't bother.
The new version seems to be EXTREMELY slow.  Especially on the address and
appointment stack included with the package.  The old 1.2.x stacks of the
same type seem to run almost as fast under 2.0 (after conversion).  Also some
of my stacks that I have have not converted satisfactorily, but most have.

I recommend staying with 1.2.x unless you really need the better printing of
2.0.  One real nice new feature is the built in debugger!

Howard Kaplan

dak@abbott.Berkeley.EDU (Dave Kearney) (01/01/91)

> >I'm new to this group so forgive me if this has already been kicked
> >down the beach.
> >
> >About 4 weeks ago I bought a Mac II si. There was an abbreviated
> >version of Hypercard with the system.
>
> This is the second message of this nature.  Hypercard 2.0 delivered with your
> system software does not include any level above typing.  To get the complete
> package you must buy it for $48 from Claris.
>
> Howard Kaplan

Hmmmmmmm... I don't think this is correct... I believe the hypercard 2.0
application binary is EXACTLY THE SAME for all three packaged versions
of Hypoercard... (bundled, upgrade, and developers)   As I understand
it, the difference lies in the "home" and support stacks and
applications.  In the bundled version, one can explicitly move to level
5 scripting by either typing "set the userlevel to 5", by typing the
word "magic", or finally by removing the opaque button that covers the
other levels in the home stack.

Also, $48 is too expensive.  I purchasec all 5 disks from BMUG for $15.
And I'm not even a member (yet)!  Somebody posted instructions on the
net not too long ago on how to purchase it through BMUG (much thanx to
whoever that was.) I also don't know if BMUG still has that deal.  But
it worked for me.

I've been heavily using HC 2.0 now for about a month... I think its
GREAT!...  I have about 20 stacks that I use daily for gathering
information and most of them had a number of script hacks and XCMDs to
get around limitations in HC 1.2.5.  HC 2.0 went a long way to clean
these hacks up.

I don't notice any speed up or slow down in the work that I do... But
the added features are worth the investment.

Although I am concerned about the future product direction of HC through
Claris, I think the developers at Apple did an outstanding job.

David A. Kearney                           MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
mips.com    950 DeGuigne Dr.    Sunnyvale, CA  94086   +1 408 524-7025
= I'm not a fatalist... But even if I was, what could I do about it? =

volaski@acsu.buffalo.edu (Maurice Volaski) (01/01/91)

In article <1431@intermec.UUCP> howie@corona (Howard Kaplan x6596) writes:
>In article <1990Dec18.215715.13101@godot.RadOnc.UNC.EDU> thorn@godot.radonc.unc.edu () writes:
>>About 4 weeks ago I bought a Mac II si. There was an abbreviated
>>version of Hypercard with the system. There were Home, Address, and
>>Appointment stacks. That's all. I couldn't set my user level above
>>Typing, so I couldn't create any stacks.
>
>This is the second message of this nature.  Hypercard 2.0 delivered with your
>system software does not include any level above typing.  To get the complete
>package you must buy it for $48 from Claris.

The Hypercard 2.0 that came with my IIsi has all the user levels. I just
typed "set userLevel to 5" and the tool and object menus appeared. In addition,
I discovered that Apple has hidden the userlevels above typing with do nothing
buttons on the card in the home stack with the userLevel controls.

Maurice Volaski