[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Error 50471 in System 7.0

dlugose@uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) (01/05/91)

   Since installing System 7.0b1 on my cx, I'm frequently getting a
error 50471 crash in HyperCard 2.0.  It happens at various times,
like changing stacks, even moving to other applications in multifinder.
I have 4 MB RAM; 1.6 MB allocated to HyperCard, but get this with
various amounts of memory.  It occurs with various stacks that I've
been using for some time, including working OK under HC 2.0 on
System 6.0.5.  No XCMDs involved.
   Anyone know what 50471 is?

Dan Dlugose
UNC Educational Computing Service

--
Dan Dlugose
Internet: dlugose@uncecs.edu

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.190226.11306@uncecs.edu> dlugose@uncecs.edu
(Dan Dlugose) writes:

>   Since installing System 7.0b1 on my cx, I'm frequently getting a
>error 50471 crash in HyperCard 2.0.
>
>   Anyone know what 50471 is?

This problem won't occur anymore under the next seeded version of
System 7.0, whenever it becomes available.

In the meantime, you can tweak the System to eliminate the problem.
Here's how.

1) Launch ResEdit.
2) Open the System File.
3) Select and open the WDEF resources.
3) Select WDEF ID 0.
4) Choose "Get Info" from the menu, or type command-I.
5) Make sure the checkbox labeled "Purgeable" is unchecked.
6) Close everything and save your changes.
7) Restart.

Naturally, there's no guarantee that this will do you any good and
no warranty that it won't do you any harm.

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Team
Apple Computer, Inc.

Disclaimer: I'm not authorized by Apple to dispense official advice.