[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Picture

robertw@informix.com (Rob Weinberg) (12/17/90)

OK, I'm missing something.

I am using the "Picture" command as described in The Book to create
windoids in HC2.0. "Picture" does not seem to be described in the
HyperTalk Help stack that came with my 5-disk distribution.

I can create the several kinds of Picture windoids, but I am not able
to intercept the messages that are supposed to be sent when I click
on such a windoid, according to The Book.

What messages are sent by clicking a Picture windoid, and what
globals are set? Picture is too neat an external to pass by. . .

Thanks for any help!

--
* Rob Weinberg, graphics & publishing ***** Does a falling tree make a sound *
*  {uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      *****   if  1: no one hears it         *

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (12/24/90)

In article <1990Dec17.154532.8903@informix.com> robertw@informix.com
(Rob Weinberg) writes concerning the picture XCMD in HyperCard 2.0:

>OK, I'm missing something.

No, you're not :-). While HC 2.0: TB is of exemplary accuracy and completeness
on most issues (hi, Scot), its documentation of the picture XCMD is, um, wrong.
(I suspect that when TB went to press, the XCMD was still in flux.) There is
some documentation available in the Power Tools stack in the 5-disk HyperCard
distribution, and by combining this with the documentation in TB you can get
a fairly complete picture (no pun intended).

Basically, the syntax is

where
  <name> is the name of the PICT or MacPaint file or PICT resource.
  <source> is "file", "resource" or "clipboard". "File" is the default.
    box, no scroll bars, no zoom box), zoom (title bar, close box, scroll
    bars, zoom box), roundRect (black title bar with white lettering and
    close box), document (scroll bars but no zoom box), windoid (like
    plain but with a gray title bar), or windoidZoom (like zoom but ditto).
  <visible> is true or false and indicates the state of the window when
    first opened.
  <bitDepth> is a power of two between 0 and 32. If a bitDepth of 0 is
    used, the picture is drawn directly into the window.

The window accepts the following properties:

  the dithering of <picture name>: true or false
  the visible: true or false
  the loc (in terms of card window coordinates)
  the rect
  the globalLoc (in terms of screen coordinates)
  the globalRect
  the scroll
  the zoom: true or false
  the scale: an integer between -5 and 5, which is the power of two to which
     the window is scaled.

The following messages are sent to the current card:

  openWindow <picture name>
  closeWindow <picture name>
  mouseDownInPicture <picture name>,<clickLoc> (relative to the picture window)
  mouseUpInPicture <picture name>,<clickloc>
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

Dan.Wood@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Dan Wood) (01/08/91)

>"Picture" does not seem to be described in the
 >HyperTalk Help stack that came with my 5-disk distribution.

Look in the "Power Tools" stack. The documentation and a sample is in there.

-- Dan

--
Dan Wood - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!444!Dan.Wood

Rob.Weinberg@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Rob Weinberg) (01/08/91)

Yes indeed, even before the message got to you I had
a similar and equally helful reply from another party.
You are right. And, I just posted a little stack demoing
PICTURE to this BBS. It's called Magic Bus.

Thanks much.

Rob Weinberg

--
Rob Weinberg - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!444!Rob.Weinberg