[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Error Messages

marvel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Howard P. Marvel) (01/15/88)

Please help out a novice user.  I have had my Mac SE for less than a
week. (Thank you, Apple)  I insert the HyperCard startup disk in the
lower drive, turn the machine on, click the address stack icon, and
attempt to follow the instructions in the HyperCard manual.  When I
select the Sort button, I get the spinning ball, followed by a dialog
box that says ``Unexpected Error 387623.''  I click OK and am dumped
back to the home card.  Can anyone point me to the appropriate
documentation for such an error?  For that matter, what's the
difference between an unexpected error and an expected error?

I must say that the Hypercard documentation as well as the
documentation I received with the SE is rather sparse.  I bought the
Goodman book, but find it to be the computer equivalent of Sidney
Sheldon.  Trees died for this?  Perhaps I have been spoiled by
exposure to much better documentation in my other computer realms,
especially my experience in learning emacs and TeX/LaTeX.  Perhaps
there is a decent reference with a useful index that I have not seen
yet.  But so far, I've had a good bit of frustration with the Mac
world and with HyperCard.  Documentation pointers would be
appreciated.  Yes, I know about APDA and am attempting to join, but
they will not take an order for membership and the HyperTalk manual
over the phone, for reasons the phone contact did not see fit to
explain.

Thanks in advance for assistance.
Howard P. Marvel
Professor of Economics
Ohio State University
hmarvel@osuecn.uucp
marvel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
marvel@pyramid.math.ohio-state.edu

marvel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Howard P. Marvel) (06/17/88)

Could someone explain the following to me?  I am working on a short
and simple stack.  I want to delete a card.  After selecting delete
card from the edit menu, I get a dialog box that says unexpected error
54321 and a SORRY button.  Pressing the button exits hypercard.  I
have two questions and a comment.

1.  What is wrong and how do I fix it?
2.  Where are such bizarre and uninformative error messages
documented?

I tried hypercard some time ago, but gave up in response to similar
strange messages.  I would really like to write some instructional
stuff on the Mac, but the various packages I have tried are all buggy.
I really wonder about the Mac as the computer for the rest of us as it
makes me nostalgic for JCL. I thought nothing in the world could do
that, but at least you really follow Casey Stengel's advice and look
it up. Help.

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (06/22/88)

In article <15799@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> marvel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Howard P. Marvel) writes:

>Could someone explain the following to me?  I am working on a short
>and simple stack.  I want to delete a card.  After selecting delete
>card from the edit menu, I get a dialog box that says unexpected error
>54321 and a SORRY button.  Pressing the button exits hypercard.  I
>have two questions and a comment.
>
>1.  What is wrong and how do I fix it?
>2.  Where are such bizarre and uninformative error messages
>documented?

Your particular problem is that a deleted card is still listed in
HyperCard's internal card list.  How do I know this you ask?  Well, I
just searched the HyperCard sources.  Unfortunately, such BOMBs are not
documented.  They are supposed to never occur.

It sounds like your stack got trashed.  Which version of HyperCard are
you using?  Is it a big stack?  Lots of cards?  There were several major
problems with large stacks in the initial release 1.01 of HyperCard that
have been fixed in 1.1 and in 1.2.  You should be using HC 1.2.

Dan Allen
HyperCard Engineer

ron@oscvax.UUCP (Ron Janzen) (06/23/88)

In article <12601@apple.Apple.COM> dan@apple.apple.com.UUCP (Dan Allen) writes:
>In article <15799@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> marvel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Howard P. Marvel) writes:
>>
>>Could someone explain the following to me?  I am working on a short
>>and simple stack.  I want to delete a card.  After selecting delete
>>card from the edit menu, I get a dialog box that says unexpected error
>>54321 and a SORRY button.  Pressing the button exits hypercard.  I
>>have two questions and a comment.
>>
>>1.  What is wrong and how do I fix it?
>>2.  Where are such bizarre and uninformative error messages
>>documented?
>
>Your particular problem is that a deleted card is still listed in
>HyperCard's internal card list.  How do I know this you ask?  Well, I
>just searched the HyperCard sources.  Unfortunately, such BOMBs are not
>documented.  They are supposed to never occur.

I just got this particular error yesterday.  What I finally discovered
was that the card that I was trying to delete did some stuff on a
closeCard that didn't make sense if the card was being deleted.  I can't
remember exactly what it was anymore.  Anyways I managed to finally
delete the card by getting rid of the closecard handler first and then
deleting the card.  This didn't cause the 54321 error and the stack was
still OK.  Maybe Howard should check what is happening on a closecard
for that card and nullify it before trying to delete the card.  Just a
little suggestion before you give up the stack as being hopelessly
corrupted.
--
Ron Janzen
Ontario Science Centre, Toronto

steve@hpiacla.HP.COM (Steve Witten) (06/24/88)

I complained about this very problem some time ago.  The response was that
if you try to delete a card in a stack that has an openCard handler, this
bug will surface.

Steve Witten                    steve%hpiacla@hplabs.HP.COM
Industrial Applications Center  {ucbvax, hplabs}!hpda!hpdsla!hpiacla!steve
Hewlett-Packard Co.             steve@hpiacla

"...I feel in touch with the modern world!..."  --J. Richman

gwowen@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (George Owen) (01/09/91)

   ... does anyone know what "Unexpected Error 5455" means ?

    I have a stack that just got corrupted & gave me this error.

   Fortunately all the cards are accessable except 2. Unfortunately it
   crashes & bounces me out whenever it hits those cards when
   browsing/printing/searching.

   Ugh !

           - G-

*                 George Owen (gwowen@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca)               *
* University of Toronto  -  Computing Services  -  Toronto , Canada       *