[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Centering modal dialogs on card window vs. screen?

ralph@world.std.com (Ralph Lombreglia) (01/11/91)

I'll bet this has been asked before.  Is there any way to cause
HyperCard's modal dialogs to center themselves on the card window
rather than on the physical screen?  "Ask", "Answer", "Open",
"Save As", etc. center themselves on the screen, regardless of where on
the screen the card window is located.  However, such modal list boxes
as Dartmouth's XScrollBox and F. Rinaldi's ListSelect center
themselves on the card window, which seems preferable to me.
Actually, being able to decide seems preferable.  Thanks.

Ralph Lombreglia
Internet: ralph@world.std.com   MCI Mail: rlombreglia   Bix: rlombreglia

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan10.213638.29081@world.std.com> ralph@world.std.com
(Ralph Lombreglia) writes:

>I'll bet this has been asked before.  Is there any way to cause
>HyperCard's modal dialogs to center themselves on the card window
>rather than on the physical screen?  "Ask", "Answer", "Open",
>"Save As", etc. center themselves on the screen, regardless of where on
>the screen the card window is located.  However, such modal list boxes
>as Dartmouth's XScrollBox and F. Rinaldi's ListSelect center
>themselves on the card window, which seems preferable to me.
>Actually, being able to decide seems preferable.  Thanks.

You can use the "ask" and "answer" dialogs with the ModalDialog XFCN,
which is in the Dartmouth XCMDs stack.  ModalDialog lets you choose
whether you want the dialog centered on the screen, centered over the
card window, or placed at a specified location in global or local
coordinates.

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Team
Apple Computer, Inc.