[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] A couple of questions

n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (01/10/91)

Hi all,
A couple of simple questions. Is there any way to "put" something into the
message box without it becoming visible? Is there any way to determine
which, if any, field contains the active text cursor?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Neale
Neale Hays
n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au   The University of Western Australia

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan10.034648.2751@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au>
n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:
>A couple of simple questions. Is there any way to "put" something into the
>message box without it becoming visible? Is there any way to determine
>which, if any, field contains the active text cursor?

1) Not that I know of. However, you can use "type" to enter text in the
message box. If the blindTyping property is set to true, this will not
result in the message box popping up; it will stay decorously hidden.

2) The function "the selectedField" returns the name or ID of the field
in which the current selection is located. (The blinking insertion point
is considered a selection of zero length.)
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

kofoid@bioscience.utah.edu (Eric Kofoid) (01/13/91)

Neale Hays asks:
>> Is there any way to "put" something into the
>> message box without it becoming visible?

This can be done by applying the 'type' command with the 'blindTyping'
property. By restoring the original selection and value of blindTyping,
the stack will be left unchanged with the exception of the msg contents.

Try it by creating a new button with the following script:

on mouseUp
  ask "Type a message"
  blindType it
end mouseUp

on blindType theText
  put the blindTyping into myTyping
  put the selectedChunk into mySelection
  set the blindTyping to true
  select empty
  type theText
  set the blindTyping to myTyping
  select mySelection
end blindType

dlugose@uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan10.034648.2751@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au> n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:
>Hi all,
>A couple of simple questions. Is there any way to "put" something into the
>message box without it becoming visible?

   Here's another simple solution which might be useful:

    put return &mytext into msg
    -- then later to retrieve mytext
    put line 2 of msg
    -- or put msg into mytext
    -- delete line 1 of mytext -- there may be >1 lines left

Dan Dlugose

--
Dan Dlugose
Internet: dlugose@uncecs.edu

francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (01/15/91)

In article <47995@apple.Apple.COM> bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) writes:

   Neale Hays:
   |Is there any way to "put" something into the
   |message box without it becoming visible?

   [...]

How about locking the screen, using put, hiding the box, then
unlocking the screen?

| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| University of Chicago		| Until you stalk and overrun,	     	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|  you can't devour anyone. -- Hobbes 	      |