[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Page size when printing

pryor@ils.nwu.edu (Louise Pryor) (01/12/91)

As well as hypercard, I have one of those personal organiser things - a
loose leaf binder to hold diary, addresses, etc.  I'd like to print out my
addresses from hypercard so that I can put them into the organiser, so
that I don't have to maintain 2 separate lists.  I have blank paper that
fits the organiser - 6.5 * 3.75 ins - but there seems to be no way to tell
the software about it. (I have an imagewriter).

Does anyone have any bright ideas about how I could do this?  Any way I
could print to a file from HC and then print the file? Where in the
documentation would this sort of thing be talked about? - I haven't really
been able to track anything down even about the Page Setup menu item.  All
suggestions welcome.

I alos have a gripe about the address stack in HC 2.0 - it is much less
flexible than the one in 1.2.x.  Most of my addresses are non US ones, and
many of them don't fit into 3 lines, don't have an all-figure ZIP code,
etc.  The stack in 1.2.x just had one big field for the address - you
could put what you liked in it. The 2.0 stack divides everything up into
separate fields to aid sorting, marking etc.  Jolly nice for those who
don't know a single person outside the US, hell for the rest of us.

Louise

mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) (01/14/91)

In article <593@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> pryor@ils.nwu.edu (Louise Pryor)
writes:
>As well as hypercard, I have one of those personal organiser things - a
>loose leaf binder to hold diary, addresses, etc.  I'd like to print out my
>addresses from hypercard so that I can put them into the organiser, so
>that I don't have to maintain 2 separate lists.  I have blank paper that
>fits the organiser - 6.5 * 3.75 ins - but there seems to be no way to tell
>the software about it. (I have an imagewriter).
>
>Does anyone have any bright ideas about how I could do this?  Any way I
>could print to a file from HC and then print the file? Where in the
>documentation would this sort of thing be talked about? - I haven't really
>been able to track anything down even about the Page Setup menu item.  All
>suggestions welcome.
>

>Louise

 I have two hacks for spiffy printing from HyperCard, but they probably reflect
the fact that I generally look for the most complex way to solve any problem.
The first is the SendPS XCMD which I wrote about last week (keep those requests
coming and I may get around to posting it, folks). While of little use to you
if you don't have a LaserWriter, it would be relatively easy (heh-heh) to put
together a PostScript dict to print a DayTimer sheet with the data filled in
from the stack. Anyone wanting to do this, either for shareware or commercial
distribution, let me know.
 The second approach I have used is RTF. Word has the capability of saving
files with all formattin information as ASCII; some information has been in
Info-Mac and there are several stacks such as RTF Tutorial on sumex-aim on
this. Basically, you create the template document in Word, us "Save as", format
export (RTF), then open that document as a text file, carve up the RTF into
separate fields in HyperCard, and reassemble the RTF file with your data. Now,
you simply open the newly created document with Word, interpret the RTF, and
voila. I use this for printing reports, using the Word column feature. This
permits me to preview my report, get it the way I want it, then print it or
email it.
 Note that neither of these approaches are "turnkey", and probably someone far
more clever than I will point you to some utility that will do exactly what you
want without any muss-or-fuss, but where's the fun in that?

Jeff E Mandel MD MS
Asst Professor of Anesthesiology
Tulane University School of Medicine
New Orleans, LA

Disclaimer: "Anyone who would let an anesthesiologist tell them how to put
together their DayTimer should be equally willing to let a yuppie give them an
anesthetic"

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (01/15/91)

In article <593@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> pryor@ils.nwu.edu (Louise Pryor) writes:
|As well as hypercard, I have one of those personal organiser things - a
|loose leaf binder to hold diary, addresses, etc.  I'd like to print out my
|addresses from hypercard so that I can put them into the organiser, so
|that I don't have to maintain 2 separate lists.  I have blank paper that
|fits the organiser - 6.5 * 3.75 ins - but there seems to be no way to tell
|the software about it. (I have an imagewriter).
|
|Does anyone have any bright ideas about how I could do this?

Well, since you also note that you are less than pleased with the HC 2.0
Addresses stack, why not create a new addresses stack with a card size of
6.5 * 3.75 inches [to match your organizer]?

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

pryor@ils.nwu.edu (Louise Pryor) (01/15/91)

In article <3051@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson)
writes:
> Well, since you also note that you are less than pleased with the HC 2.0
> Addresses stack, why not create a new addresses stack with a card size of
> 6.5 * 3.75 inches [to match your organizer]?

Because that would only give me one address per page, instead of the 4
that can fit, and also that doesn't help me actually print out onto the
right size paper.  I actually have paper of the right size, with sprocket
holes one perofrated strips down the edge, the holes for the ring binder
ready punched etc. I'd like to be able to load that paper into the printer
and just print out the stuff directly  onto it without messing around too
much.  In other words, I don't want to print onto 8.5 x 11 and then cut it
up and punch holes.  As I understand it, even if I make a card of the
right size, it'll do an 11 inch page throw each time.  Or maybe I've got
it wrong.

Is there anywhere that actually lists the sizes of the papers
corresponding to the names? (international fanfold, US legal, etc - I've
worked out US letter and know A4, but some of the others are new to me.)

Louise

pryor@ils.nwu.edu (Louise Pryor) (01/16/91)

In article <5664@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E
Mandel MD MS) writes:

>  The second approach I have used is RTF. Word has the capability of
> saving files with all formattin information as ASCII; some information
> has been in Info-Mac and there are several stacks such as RTF Tutorial on
> sumex-aim on this.

This looks useful - however I couldn't find the stack you mention on
sumex-aim.  Do you know what it's called and where it is?

I'm posting this because I couldn't get mail through.

Louise