[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HC2.0 - Zero Margin "Print Report", How?

spandl@i60s5.ira.uka.de (01/17/91)

Hi folks.

We want to print book labels for our institute's library.
The book catalog is a hypercard stack.  There is a text field which
holds the label text (amongst others...).

When we try to print the labels, we are facing the follwing problems:

1)	HC2.0 does not allow zero page margins.  The minimum setting
	seems to be ~1cm.  However, any label sheets we can get hold off
	start right at the edge of a page, i.e. zero margins!
	Therefor we can not enter a label's size as it really is, as we
	have to guess where the text might be placed on the sheet
	such that it then corresponds to the real labels.
	So, most of our efforts to print the labels have resulted in
	printouts where the text slowly drifts of the labels towards the
	end of a sheet.

	This seems ridiculous to me.  Is there any hope to persuade HC
	to allow zero margins?  (I know that the LaserPrinter can not
	print the whole page - we would center the text accordingly...)
	Most layout programs seem to such a feature, take e.g. RagTime.

2)	Entering an individuel label's size via the mouse is a bit
	jerky.  We were never able to get the correct size.
	Is there a way to enter the label dimensions via keyboard?

Any help, hints welcome.

Horst Spandl 		spandl@ira.uka.de

gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) (01/18/91)

In article <91.017.13:15:08@ira.uka.de> spandl@i60s5.ira.uka.de writes:
> HC2.0 does not allow zero page margins.  The minimum setting
>         seems to be ~1cm.  However, any label sheets we can get hold off
>         start right at the edge of a page, i.e. zero margins!

The workaround is to adjust the size of your "labels" on the minipage to
be smaller than they actually are, and adjust the spacing between the
labels so that the result ends up being smaller "labels" being printed in
the center of the actual labels.

> Entering an individuel label's size via the mouse is a bit jerky.

Holding down the command key while dragging the items on the mini page
gives you the highest possible resolution, as opposed to tracking the
mouse over the mini page.

Martin Gannholm
Apple Computer

Exclaimer!!!   I never said it...Nobody heard me say it...You can't prove
anything!