[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] 3rd party xcmds

David_Greg_Herlihy@cup.portal.com (01/14/91)

I'd like to know where I can order Dialoguer Professional from Result
Software or suggestions about other xcmd's to create dialog boxes in
hypercard. Also, is there a palette making stack out there?

Thanks.

ralph@world.std.com (Ralph Lombreglia) (01/14/91)

In article <37993@cup.portal.com> David_Greg_Herlihy@cup.portal.com writes:
>I'd like to know where I can order Dialoguer Professional from Result
>Software or suggestions about other xcmd's to create dialog boxes in
>hypercard. Also, is there a palette making stack out there?
>
>Thanks.

As Kevin Calhoun recently pointed out to me, his own ModalDialog
external (part of the well-known Dartmouth xcmd stack) allows you to
call any modal dialog for which you have resources.  The DLOG and DITL
resources themselves can easily be designed with ResEdit, and this
would all be free.  Apple's own "Power Tools" stack contains a good
Palette maker; the stack was shipped to users' groups authorized to
distribute HC 2.0.  If you don't have access to such a group, you can
buy it from Claris in their $49 package.  I believe the Boston
Computer Society will supply HC 2.0 on disk for about $20, but it may
not be 2.0v2; and I should add that there's been a lot of confusion
(and some ill-feeling, I think) about this user-group distribution of
HC 2; my current understanding is that if a particular group has paid
for a license from Apple, it's OK for them to distribute it, at least
for a limited period of time (like a few months).  Hope I'm not
propagating any falsehoods.

Ralph Lombreglia
Internet: ralph@world.std.com   MCI Mail: rlombreglia   Bix: rlombreglia

jk3t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan King) (01/15/91)

David_Greg_Herlihy@cup.portal.com writes:
> I'd like to know where I can order Dialoguer Professional from Result
> Software or suggestions about other xcmd's to create dialog boxes in
> hypercard.

No clue about Dialoguer Professional.  (Except that software with the
word "Professional" in it the title ususally costs more than you would
expect...)  I'm pretty sure that the Dartmouth XCMD stack has
something like this.

> Also, is there a palette making stack out there?

PaletteMaker is a palette-making tool (surprise) that comes with the
PowerTools stack of the 5-disk distribution of Hypercard 2.0.  It works
pretty well (and accidentally provides as much documentation of the
palette resource as I've seen anywhere, yet).  Where can you get the
5-disk distribution of HyperCard 2.0?  From many users' groups
including BMUG, or directly from Claris (their 800 number was recently
posted here).

jking

jstern@garnet.berkeley.edu (01/18/91)

Just wanted to comment that Dialoger, though it costs money,
allows you to create dialogs and palettes that you can't with
either Dartmouth or PaletteMaker. (As just one example, we've
got a palette that neds to ahve variable text in a couple of
places. Can't do that with PaletteMaker; can with Dialoger)
My point is just that if you can't do what you want with the
free stuff, Dialoger is definitely worth looking into.

(The only problem is that they're not yet selling a version
compatible with HC 2.0!)

Judy Stern