[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] 1280x1280 cards and windows

bayes@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (01/19/91)

> No, I don't think 3000K is excessive for a card with more than 9 times the
> area as a card of standard size, 512x342.
>
> HyperCard buffers bitmaps in fully expanded form -- that's what makes going

But I have an SE, bit-per-pixel, yes?, and I still can't seem to do a
decent sized card in the standard 1000k partition.  I tried about an
800x1000 window (should be 1000*800/8=100kb give or take), and had to
kick the partition to 1800KB to get paint tools to work.

> from card to card so fast.  And that's why HyperCard needs a 750K partition
> for cards the size of the Classic's screen, 3000K for cards bigger than a
> two-page display.
>
> Kevin Calhoun
> HyperCard Team
> Apple Computer, Inc.

Scott Bayes

francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (01/21/91)

In article <48290@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

   In article <1170002@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM> bayes@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Scott Bayes)
   writes:
   >> HyperCard buffers bitmaps in fully expanded form -- that's what makes going
   >
   >But I have an SE, bit-per-pixel, yes?, and I still can't seem to do a
   >decent sized card in the standard 1000k partition.  I tried about an
   >800x1000 window (should be 1000*800/8=100kb give or take), and had to
   >kick the partition to 1800KB to get paint tools to work.

   There are several buffers.

   Kevin Calhoun
   HyperCard Team
   Apple Computer, Inc.

Anybody want to take bets on how huge an understatement this is? :-)

--
/=============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan J Torrie) (01/21/91)

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

>In article <1170002@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM> bayes@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Scott Bayes)
>writes:
>>> HyperCard buffers bitmaps in fully expanded form -- that's what makes going
>>
>>But I have an SE, bit-per-pixel, yes?, and I still can't seem to do a
>>decent sized card in the standard 1000k partition.  I tried about an
>>800x1000 window (should be 1000*800/8=100kb give or take), and had to
>>kick the partition to 1800KB to get paint tools to work.

>There are several buffers.

>Kevin Calhoun
>HyperCard Team
>Apple Computer, Inc.

  Would it be possible in the future (V3.0?), to only allocate as many
buffers as will fit in memory, and if this is less than the
recommended minimum, put up a dialog box with

  "Hypercard would like more memory.  It will run in the current
   configuration, but be prepared for slower card switching..."

  For me, having a slower Hypercard AND a word processor open, is
better than having JUST Hypercard.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Fame, fame, fame...  What's it good for?  Ab-so-lute-ly nothing