[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] 2.0v2 update

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (01/22/91)

In article <48327@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@apple.com (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

> The following piece of good news is from Mike Holm, the Product Manager
> for HyperCard at Claris.
>
> If you have obtained HyperCard 2.0 through a licensed channel -- from a
> user group, a dealer, or a university -- and you need an update to
> HyperCard 2.0v2, then call Claris.  They will send you HyperCard 2.0v2
> at no charge.

I presume this means just the disks, and not the manuals you would get with
the $49 upgrade packages?  (Yeah, some of us read manuals...)

--
 - Rich Holmes                                  rich@suhep.bitnet
   Syracuse U. Physics Dept.                    rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu

vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) (01/23/91)

In article <48327@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@apple.com (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

)The following piece of good news is from Mike Holm, the Product Manager
)for HyperCard at Claris.

)If you have obtained HyperCard 2.0 through a licensed channel -- from a
)user group, a dealer, or a university -- and you need an update to
)HyperCard 2.0v2, then call Claris.  They will send you HyperCard 2.0v2
)at no charge.

)The telephone number for Claris Customer Support is (408) 727-8227.

)Kevin Calhoun

	Thanks Kevin, but Stacy Hewlette at Claris Customer Support
says, as of one minute ago, that this was incorrect.  Can we get a
clarification (ouch) here?

--
Later Y'all,  Vnend <- Lottery winner #316 Ignorance is the mother of adventure.
      Mail?  Send to:vnend@phoenix.princeton.edu or vnend@pucc.bitnet

ashwin@gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) (01/23/91)

In article <5579@idunno.Princeton.EDU> vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) writes:
>   In article <48327@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@apple.com (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:
>   )The following piece of good news is from Mike Holm, the Product Manager
>   )for HyperCard at Claris.
>
>   )If you have obtained HyperCard 2.0 through a licensed channel -- from a
>   )user group, a dealer, or a university -- and you need an update to
>   )HyperCard 2.0v2, then call Claris.  They will send you HyperCard 2.0v2
>   )at no charge.
>
>   	Thanks Kevin, but Stacy Hewlette at Claris Customer Support
>   says, as of one minute ago, that this was incorrect.  Can we get a
>   clarification (ouch) here?

I called them too.  Apparently, the information *is* correct, but they need
more time to work out the details of how this will all work.  Or something.
They asked me to call back tomorrow.

-- Ashwin (ashwin@cc.gatech.edu)

bayes@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (01/24/91)

I called Jan 23 about 10:50 PST, and Stacy graciously took my name and
address information and promised to send out a copy in a few weeks.
Claris is making an excellent gesture with this offer.

Scott Bayes

p.s. Ms. Hewlett is not related to Bill Hewlett, she'll have you know,
but wishes she was. We had a nice little chat.

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (01/24/91)

Mike Holm, the HyperCard Product Manager from Claris, says, and I quote...

"Here's the scoop on 2.0v2 availability from Claris:

"In general, 2.0v2 will only be available through Claris channels.  Claris will
NOT be releasing it through user groups.  Users who obtained HyperCard 2.0 from
a licensed user group, developer, or through Apple, can get v2 if they need it
by calling Claris support.  If they did not obtain 2.0 through a legitimate
source, they are NOT entitled to get 2.0v2 for free.

"The only case where a user could get 2.0v2 from a source other than Claris is
when the program is included with a licensed third party product.  Such
products sometimes include the HyperCard Program and a Home Stack under license
from Apple or Claris.

"Users who need 2.0v2 and have a legitimately obtained 2.0 (by one of the
sources listed above), will be sent the 2.0v2 program -- NOT a full 2.0 upgrade
kit.

"Hope this clears up any questions."

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Team
Apple Computer, Inc.

ashwin@gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) (01/25/91)

In article <48399@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:
>   Mike Holm, the HyperCard Product Manager from Claris, says, and I quote...
>
>   "Here's the scoop on 2.0v2 availability from Claris:
>
>   "In general, 2.0v2 will only be available through Claris channels.  Claris will
>   NOT be releasing it through user groups.  Users who obtained HyperCard 2.0 from
>   a licensed user group, developer, or through Apple, can get v2 if they need it
>   by calling Claris support.  If they did not obtain 2.0 through a legitimate
>   source, they are NOT entitled to get 2.0v2 for free.

Claris tells me today (1/24) that they "don't know where we [users] are
getting this information from [I quoted the above message to them]", but this
has not yet been decided.  They took my name and address and told me that if
they decide to send the free upgrades, I will receive a disk in the mail at
some point.

The problem seems to be that my 2.0 came with my IIsi when I bought the IIsi,
and so it is "an Apple product, not a Claris product", and so the above
information does not apply to me.  Or something.

I'm confused.  I thought this was a legitimate way of getting 2.0.  Am I
entitled to an upgrade, or am I not?

-- Ashwin (ashwin@cc.gatech.edu)

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (01/25/91)

I called Claris and was told to call back on Friday.  Supposedly
the policy on updates from 2.0 to 2.0v2 will be "finalized" by
tomorrow.

As a side note, if they didn't know where the information came
from, they certainly know now!  I sent them E-mail which contained
a copy of the original 2.0v2 upgrade post.

 -- Dave

--
David Zinkin (drz@po.cwru.edu) -- RGH Radiology and CWRU Psych./Chem.

"I'm sorry; if you were right, I would agree with you!"
               -- Robin Williams as Dr. Malcolm Sayer in "Awakenings"