[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypertalk Help Sought.

Henry.Halff@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Henry Halff) (01/22/91)

This brings up an interesting question. What is the fastest way to
refer to a card: by number, by name, or by id?

--

        Henry Halff, Henry.Halff@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org
      via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway

stadler@Apple.COM (Andy Stadler) (01/24/91)

In article <3152.279D6D12@blkcat.fidonet.org>
 Henry.Halff@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Henry Halff) writes:

>This brings up an interesting question. What is the fastest way to
>refer to a card: by number, by name, or by id?

The order of access, from fastest to slowest, is:

1.  id           direct lookup
2.  number       one step lookup
3.  name         search

A couple of notes, however.  First, although "by name" must search cards
for the right name, it uses the same acceleration mechanism as the "find"
command so it's still pretty fast.  And second, the time spent looking for
a card can be outweighed by the time spent changing cards, so if you are
going to do multiple operations on a remote card, it's always a good idea
to lock the screen, go to the card, do the work, return, and unlock.

Andy Stadler
HyperCardIIGS Team    (don't worry, it's the same for both)
Apple Computer, Inc.

jgsmith@bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) (01/25/91)

I just picked up a copy of the magazine A+ which discusses HC IIgs.  I
noticed that the pictures compared it with HC 1.2.5.  Also, there were no
Font or Style menus on the IIgs version.  Does/will HC IIG
(ack) does/will hyperCard IIgs allow multiple fonts in a field.  Is there a
simple list of how HC 2.0 wil be different from HC IIgs?

*
(really curious)