[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Can't Print Small Cards w/ Print Stack?

bobsoron@world.std.com (Bob Soron) (01/22/91)

Both in the first release of HyperCard 2.0 and in 2.0 v2, the Print
Stack... dialog will not let me select anything other than full-size
cards. Clicking on the popup menu shows only that option already
checked.

Vital statistics:
	System 6.0.5
	DeskWriter driver 2
		(this has also happened with the ImageWriter driver)
	No spooling inits

Looking at the list of bugs that was uploaded to CIS, I got the
impression this bug had been fixed; quoting from the list of bugs
fixed in the first v2 beta:

%  Print Stack and printing cards now works properly with
   non-PostScript printers (LaserWriter IISC, ImageWriter, etc...)

Was the bug fixed only for Apple printers, is the problem with the
DeskWriter driver, or am I missing something elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob Soron	bobsoron@world.std.com
"A penny's just a two-sided circle with a head and a tail" -- Butch Hancock

gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan21.222429.25144@world.std.com> bobsoron@world.std.com
(Bob Soron) writes:
> Both in the first release of HyperCard 2.0 and in 2.0 v2, the Print
> Stack... dialog will not let me select anything other than full-size
> cards. Clicking on the popup menu shows only that option already
> checked.

Your printer driver apparently only supports that resolution. The printing
code inquires of the driver which resolutions it supports and displays the
options accordingly. If your printer supports resolutions higher than 72
dpi, there may just be a bug in the driver that makes it not report the
proper information back.
  For you printer driver writers out there, make sure you support the
PrGeneral Set/GetResolution calls.

Bob continues:
> Looking at the list of bugs that was uploaded to CIS, I got the
> impression this bug had been fixed; quoting from the list of bugs
> fixed in the first v2 beta:
>
> %  Print Stack and printing cards now works properly with
>    non-PostScript printers (LaserWriter IISC, ImageWriter, etc...)

The bug was a crash/hang/blank page bug that appeared on most
non-PostScript printers that were tested. First page printed fine, but
when it went to print the second....kaboom!

Martin Gannholm
Apple Computer

Exclaimer!!!   I never said it...Nobody heard me say it...You can't prove
anything!

ralph@world.std.com (Ralph Lombreglia) (01/24/91)

In article <11808@goofy.Apple.COM> gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) writes:
>In article <1991Jan21.222429.25144@world.std.com> bobsoron@world.std.com
>(Bob Soron) writes:
>> Both in the first release of HyperCard 2.0 and in 2.0 v2, the Print
>> Stack... dialog will not let me select anything other than full-size
>> cards. Clicking on the popup menu shows only that option already
>> checked.
>
>Your printer driver apparently only supports that resolution. The printing
>code inquires of the driver which resolutions it supports and displays the
>options accordingly. If your printer supports resolutions higher than 72
>dpi, there may just be a bug in the driver that makes it not report the
>proper information back.
>  For you printer driver writers out there, make sure you support the
>PrGeneral Set/GetResolution calls.
>
>Bob continues:
>> Looking at the list of bugs that was uploaded to CIS, I got the
>> impression this bug had been fixed; quoting from the list of bugs
>> fixed in the first v2 beta:
>>
>> %  Print Stack and printing cards now works properly with
>>    non-PostScript printers (LaserWriter IISC, ImageWriter, etc...)
>
>The bug was a crash/hang/blank page bug that appeared on most
>non-PostScript printers that were tested. First page printed fine, but
>when it went to print the second....kaboom!
>

>Martin Gannholm
>Apple Computer!

Like Bob Soron, I use a DeskWriter with driver 2.0, and would very
much like to print cards in other than full size.  After seeing Martin
Gannholm's posting, I called Hewlett-Packard to alert them to it.
Their Mac printer support person has a comments sheet that says
HyperCard's reduced card-size printing options work only with
PostScript devices, and that therefore the DeskWriter cannot support
quarter-size cards, etc.  But that's not what I hear Martin Gannholm
saying.

There are a lot of DeskWriters out there, and we'd like full printer
support for HC 2, but HP isn't going to revise or patch their driver
if we can't convince them there's a problem.  The support person's
name is Vicki, and she said she'd welcome hearing from anyone at Apple
at (208) 323-2551.

Ralph Lombreglia
Internet: ralph@world.std.com   MCI Mail: rlombreglia   Bix: rlombreglia

rsfinn@athena.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan23.174019.27176@world.std.com> ralph@world.std.com (Ralph Lombreglia) writes:
>Like Bob Soron, I use a DeskWriter with driver 2.0, and would very
>much like to print cards in other than full size.  After seeing Martin
>Gannholm's posting, I called Hewlett-Packard to alert them to it.
>Their Mac printer support person has a comments sheet that says
>HyperCard's reduced card-size printing options work only with
>PostScript devices, and that therefore the DeskWriter cannot support
>quarter-size cards, etc.  But that's not what I hear Martin Gannholm
>saying.
>
>There are a lot of DeskWriters out there, and we'd like full printer
>support for HC 2, but HP isn't going to revise or patch their driver
>if we can't convince them there's a problem.  The support person's
>name is Vicki, and she said she'd welcome hearing from anyone at Apple
>at (208) 323-2551.

Speaking as someone who is now using version 2.1 of the DeskWriter
driver, this bug has still not been fixed.  (Version 2.1 is available
in the HP Forum on CompuServe, or on the BCS*Mac BBS for those located
in eastern Massachusetts.)

-- Russell S. Finn
rsfinn@athena.mit.edu