[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HC 2.0 HELP NEEDED

david@bourbon.ee.tulane.edu (David Kaufmann) (01/29/91)

Two questions, which may (probably) have been answered before, so
email gratefully appreciated:

1) A copy of HC 2.0 was recently donated, sans doc. I tried installing
the HC 2.0 fonts, but keep getting a message fonts are missing. What
am I missing?

2) How do I reset the user level to 5 (scripting) without buying
anything? (I think this has been answered before)?

Thanks in advance.

David Kaufmann
INTERNET:	david@bourbon.ee.tulane.edu

robertw@informix.com (Robert Weinberg) (01/29/91)

In article <5903@rex.cs.tulane.edu> david@bourbon.ee.tulane.edu (David Kaufmann) writes:

>1) A copy of HC 2.0 was recently donated, sans doc. I tried installing
>the HC 2.0 fonts, but keep getting a message fonts are missing. What
>am I missing?

Be sure you installed the fonts in your active system, not another
system file somewhere other that in your System Folder. Be sure you
have installed the sizes specified in the "missing fonts" error
message. I don't know what fonts are included in the HC2.0 fonts -
the fonts specified in the error message are standard Mac system
fonts, anyway.

>2) How do I reset the user level to 5 (scripting) without buying
>anything? (I think this has been answered before)?

You can always type "set the userlevel to 5" in the message box. Or
go to the last card of the standard Home stack and type "magic" into
the message box.

--
* Rob Weinberg, graphics & publishing ***** Does a falling tree make a sound *
*  {uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      *****   if  1: no one hears it         *

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (01/30/91)

robertw@informix.com (Robert Weinberg) writes:
|david@bourbon.ee.tulane.edu (David Kaufmann) writes:
|>1) A copy of HC 2.0 was recently donated, sans doc. I tried installing
|>the HC 2.0 fonts, but keep getting a message fonts are missing. What
|>am I missing?
|
|Be sure you installed the fonts in your active system, not another
|system file somewhere other that in your System Folder. Be sure you
|have installed the sizes specified in the "missing fonts" error
|message. I don't know what fonts are included in the HC2.0 fonts -
|the fonts specified in the error message are standard Mac system
|fonts, anyway.

On startup, HC 2.0 checks for:

	Courier 	10, 12
	Geneva 		10, 14
	Helvetica	18, 24
	Palatino	10, 12, 14, 18, 24

It does this by the use of a handler called "checkForMissingFonts" which is
in the script of the home stack.

You can remove this check fairly easily.

Open the script of the home stack.  You will find the following right near
the top:

on startUp
  -- Requires handler: getHomeInfo,checkForMissingFonts
  -- gets and sets the user's preferences
  getHomeInfo
  -- audio Palette startup
  if there is a stack "Audio Help" then -- F
    start using stack "Audio Help" -- F
    send "startSound" to stack "Audio Help" -- F
  end if
  checkForMissingFonts -- inform user of missing fonts
  pass startUp -- so others can use it
end startUp

either delete or comment out the tenth line; "checkForMissingFonts...".

Hypercard will no longer perform this check.

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone