[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypercard 2.0

mm@blake.acs.washington.edu (Eric Gorr) (05/22/89)

I was just wondering if anyone was aware of when Hypercard 2.0 was
supposed to be released.  Thanx..

mm@blake.acs.washington.edu (Eric Gorr) (07/13/89)

I was just wondering if anyone was aware when Hypercard 2.0 is going
to be released?

21765LD@MSU.BITNET (09/11/89)

Does anyone out there know what we can expect from Hypercard 2.0?

I have heard rumors about everything from color support to extended
debugging.

What's the scoop?  Anyone out there from Apple who knows the truth?

With anticipation,

Leora Druckman                21765LD@IBM.CL.MSU.EDU

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (09/12/89)

In article <11321765LD@MSU> 21765LD@MSU.BITNET writes:
>Does anyone out there know what we can expect from Hypercard 2.0?

   Accept it as an educated guess (ie, another name for hearsay,
   innuendo & gossip):

 * multiple windows onscreen ( of the same, static, size)
       has to do with the highly efficient compression used
       by HC and backward compatibility

 * ability to define own palettes from within HC (ie not an XCMD)

 * several of the XCMD/ XCFNs -like functions built right in
       so these XCMDs won't be needed anymore

 * multi-headline buttons ( presently of single line type)

 * sprite (object) animation

 * command recall via msg box (history)

 * modeless script-environment, ie not in a modal box

 * extended, more flexible printing routines

 * enuf?

   --
You just survived another load of gross exaggerations from
   Ian Feldman, the ASCII hacker

gjditchfield@watmsg.waterloo.edu (Glen Ditchfield) (11/21/89)

In article <14046@boulder.Colorado.EDU> johnsonr@spot.colorado.edu (Richard Johnson) writes:
>...  Is this on the list of things to fix for HyperCard 2.0?

HyperCard 2.0 is a myth, a mirage.  It isn't even vaporware; its been
more than a year since anyone from Apple even hinted that HyperCard's bugs
might someday be fixed, let alone that a major upgrade might happen.
   Why should Apple bother creating HyperCard 2.0?  They give HyperCard
away;  a new release wouldn't sell that many more Macs.   And it _would_
take bread from the mouths of HyperCard's commercial competitors.  Apple
doesn't want to do that.  Remember how often MacPaint upgrades came out?
   If you want fixes, buy a commercial hypertext program, and pester its
authors.

    Glen Ditchfield  gjditchfield@violet.uwaterloo.ca  Office: DC 2517
Dept. of Computer Science, U of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 3G1

rieman@boulder.Colorado.EDU (John Rieman) (11/21/89)

In article <31728@watmath.waterloo.edu> gjditchfield@watmsg.waterloo.edu (Glen Ditchfield) writes:
>HyperCard 2.0 is a myth, a mirage.
>   Why should Apple bother creating HyperCard 2.0?  They give HyperCard
>away;  a new release wouldn't sell that many more Macs.

Apple gives away the system and finder too, but they keep revising it.
And supplying a more powerful Hypercard -- say, one supporting color
or multiple windows -- could certainly help Apple's hardware sales by
encouraging the purchase of better monitors, more memory, and faster
CPUs.

(Hello?  Hello?  Is anyone at Apple listening?)

-john

>(Hello?  Hello?  Is anyone at Apple listening?)

*Yawn* *Stretch* Um, what? Huh? Sorry, I was taking a nap.

Without confirming or denying anything, let me attempt to muddy the waters
thusly: I find it amusing that a company would get villified if they
pre-announce (i.e. vaporware) a product before it's ready to ship. And can
get villified just as strongly for keeping quiet until the egg is ready to
hatch. Given that, it's a no-win situation. If this mythical hypercard 2.0
exists, and I'm not saying anything about whether it does or not, and if
Apple were to announce in July, 1990 that it won't ship until September,
2001, (are those dates unrealistic enough to stay out of MacLeek? Hope
so...), then everyone would jump down Apple's throats for pre-announcing
things that don't exist.

On the other hand, since Apple hasn't said anything, we're getting people
jumping down our throats for *not* pre-announcing things that don't exist.
Seems like a silly concept to me.

Me, personally, I'd rather a company keep their mouth shut until they know
what's going into it and when it's going to ship. The alternative (the
"Fullwrite will ship next week, really, honest, for sure this time!" or the
"Lotus 1-2-3 is going to be the best thing since sliced bread!" syndromes)
generate a lot of heat and negative vibes all around.

Disclaimer: since I work with Unix and not hypercard, I don't know what I'm
talking about. Which should be obvious....

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>    Editor,OtherRealms    <+>   Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com   <+>   CI$: 73317,635   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

All it takes is one thorn to make you forget the dozens of roses on the bush.

kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu (Stephen Kurtzman) (11/21/89)

In article <36655@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>Me, personally, I'd rather a company keep their mouth shut until they know
>what's going into it and when it's going to ship. The alternative (the
>"Fullwrite will ship next week, really, honest, for sure this time!" or the
>"Lotus 1-2-3 is going to be the best thing since sliced bread!" syndromes)
>generate a lot of heat and negative vibes all around.

Practically speaking, this is not possible. A company must make some
declaration of support for a product's future if they intend to have
customers come upgrade time. They can avoid announcing shipping dates,
new features, etc. but the company must say something affirmative or
people will move to products from vendors that are more responsive.

BTW, I'm not saying anything pro or con about the way Apple has
handled HyperCard 2.0.
-----
Stephen Kurtzman             | "where desire writhed there stands a stone"
kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu      | "the change was sudden and complete"
                             |                              -- Maggie Roche

rieman@boulder.Colorado.EDU (John Rieman) (11/21/89)

Chuq Von Rospach writes...

>[if we preannounced too early,] then everyone would jump down Apple's
>throats for pre-announcing things that don't exist.
>
>On the other hand, since Apple hasn't said anything, we're getting people
>jumping down our throats for *not* pre-announcing things that don't exist.

I think the HyperCard situation is a little unusual.  Because of Hypercard's
history, the question is not so much what new features are in the works and
when they'll be available -- it's whether there are *any* significant new
features in the works.

Sounds like we'll have to wait and see.  (Or, if we're in a hurry,
wait and C.)

-john

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (11/22/89)

I think all of us in the developer community applaud Apple's
pre-release of information on System 7.0; it helps us plot our own
future courses more easily.  The same should be true of HyperCard 2.0,
but unfortunately, it is still being treeated with the old philosophy
that Apple keeps sending us little brown pieces of paper claiming to
have repudiated.  I am writing a stack that needs more than HyperCard
1.2.2 can give, and it would be nice to know if I could expect these
things to appear in HyperCard 2.0, or if I should be spending a great
deal of time researching alternative hypersoftware and writing XCMDs to
try to solve my problems.  Apple's reticence on HyperCard 2.0 features
is causing real damage to this project.

This message does represent the views of Eclectic Software.

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (11/22/89)

In article <9034@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>... I am writing a stack that needs more than HyperCard
>1.2.2 can give, and it would be nice to know if I could expect these
>things to appear in HyperCard 2.0, or if I should be spending a great
>deal of time researching alternative hypersoftware and writing XCMDs to
>try to solve my problems.  Apple's reticence on HyperCard 2.0 features
>is causing real damage to this project.

Here, the hush-hush about HyperCard 2.0 is helping my project in the
short run, but spelling its death in the long run.  As long as there
are no upgrades planned (read: announced) for HyperCard, I judge it at
face value, and therefore I find SuperCard *much* better suited for
the stuff I have to do (color, full screen).  However, SuperCard
doesn't appear to be all-kosher with the Apple guidelines, so it will
(quite assuredly) break with System 7...

I really do wish that HyperCard 2.0 had been announced like System 7
was.  In that case, I could have been able to plan for the new
features available to me and program accordingly.

     << Brian >>

--
| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (11/23/89)

In article <36655@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> Me, personally, I'd rather a company keep their mouth shut until they know
> what's going into it and when it's going to ship. The alternative (the
> "Fullwrite will ship next week, really, honest, for sure this time!" or the
> "Lotus 1-2-3 is going to be the best thing since sliced bread!" syndromes)
> generate a lot of heat and negative vibes all around.

I share Chuq's amusement at the no-win pressure from people, but there are
some serious (and not-so-serious) issues here:

 - People like to be "in the know".

   Stuff that Apple people are working on is usually very nifty stuff.
   People outside Apple like to find out about it so that they can impress
   other people with the nifty stuff they've found out about.  MacLeak is
   a prime example.  I am pretty confident in claiming that one of the
   reasons they are as popular as they are is that they usually get pretty
   accurate leaks.  Everyone who reads the last page first, raise your
   hand :-).  How many project leaders would have a heart attack if they
   saw a MacWeek mug appear on an engineer's desk :-)?

   My sympathy lies with Apple on this one, for one important reason:

 - Products are not stable until they ship.

   Getting advance information only helps you plan if it is accurate.  Things
   come up at the last minute.  That is they way of engineering.  Even with
   all of the disclaimers plastered all over it, Apple went way out on a
   limb with the System 7.0 preview.  I think it was an excellent move, but
   I still look at the nice big black binder as more of an "artist's rendition"
   than a draft IM volume.

   If Apple does anything other that vague direction statements, people will
   start planning on future products, and if anything happens (which it will)
   to change or delay those products, they will blame Apple.  No information
   is often better than wrong information.

Let's take a real live non-Apple example.  My company did a preview of our
next product at a recent trade show.  It was explicitly presented as "this
is a preview--you can't buy this, but you will be able to buy something like
it in a few months." We got lots of good response, and lots of requests to
beta test it :-).  The product as it stands has some resemblance to what we
showed in October, but it has some major differences, too.  Some things have
been dropped from the design spec, and others have been added.  If we pinned
our design spec to what we showed people, we'd be doing a disservice to our
customers and ourselves.  Apple is even more in this position, since their
market is a lot bigger than ours, and their products have a lot more mass
appeal.

Companies have already put out ads claiming their stuff is System 7.0
compatible.  This is *stupid*.  Until it's frozen and disks are shipped,
even Apple can't claim that.  If Apple publicized their design goals for
future versions of HyperCard, they would lose the flexibility they need to
solve the problems they face and make it the best possible product.

Well, enough soapboxing for now :-).

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation
amanda@intercon.com

> - Products are not stable until they ship.

>   Getting advance information only helps you plan if it is accurate.

Definitely, for a lot of reasons.

Suppose, for example, the Apple announces HyperCard 2.0 and the feature-list
includes things like multiple stacks, multiple windows, full-screen usage,
sticky buttons, color, stereo sound, a MIDI driver, a toaster-oven
interface and intelligent software for controlling your Mr. Coffee (TM).
When you announce something, people expect it to happen; they also expect it
to happen when you tell them it will (people in the computer industry should
know better by now, but that's another issue).

Now we find out that the folks who were building the Mr. Coffee interface
were a little optimistic about their schedules, and Apple has a choice. They
can either slip Hypercard 2.0 nine months waiting for the Mr. Coffee
software or they can cut it from the release. Now, they're going to get
yelled at either by the people who want it *now* or the people who *have* to
have the Mr. Coffee interface. Again everyone loses.

Then, of course, there is the "Osborne syndrome", in which you pre-announce
the neat new product and it's *so* good everyone stops buying the current
product so they'll be ready when it ships -- the result being revenues head
towards zero and the product never ships at all, since the companie dies.

There is this tap-dance-in-a-mine-field companies have to do between
disemminating information about things that need to be made public and
shooting themselves in the foot by saying the wrong things at the wrong time.

The bottom line is this: there's a difference between "want to know" and
"need to know" -- if you have a product that's going to depend on product
futures of some sort, then you should talk to Apple about a non-disclosure
and getting a futures briefing. They'll tell you what's going on if you can
convince them it's necessary and are willing to not blab it around. You can
usually get the information if you need it. But the place to get inforamtion
about unannounced stuff isn't USENET -- and if a product isn't announced,
thre's usually a good reason.

chuq (disclaimer: I've got no idea what's going on in the HyperCard world. I
do Unix. And it's doubtful they're doing a Mr. Coffee interface....)

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>    Editor,OtherRealms    <+>   Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com   <+>   CI$: 73317,635   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

All it takes is one thorn to make you forget the dozens of roses on the bush.

dnewman@ut-emx.UUCP (Dave Newman) (11/26/89)

I'd just like to see something like: "We're now working on HyperCard 2.0."
Or perhaps a note to the effect that "We plan to announce HyperCard 2.0 in
xxx weeks."  In otherwords, more of a statement of committment rather than
a definite announcement of specifications or features.

Apple may have made such a statement already, but when nothing further is
said, people get nervous.  In such a situation, updates like the following
might be nice:  "We're still working on HyperCard 2.0" or "We now anticipate
an announcement of HyperCard 2.0 in yyy weeks rather than xxx as previously
announced."

Amanda's points about potential changes to stated goals for features and
specifications are well-taken.  But surely we can expect something to calm
our nerves when nothing is said about a product that we are awaiting with
baited breath?

Ignorantly,

amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (11/27/89)

In article <21412@ut-emx.UUCP>, dnewman@ut-emx.UUCP (Dave Newman) writes:
> Amanda's points about potential changes to stated goals for features and
> specifications are well-taken.  But surely we can expect something to calm
> our nerves when nothing is said about a product that we are awaiting with
> baited breath?

I do sympathize; I'm real interested to see where HyperCard heads, especially
in the area of speed.  It's already great at updating the screen (my biggest
problem with SuperCard), but scripts are still not all that fast, even on
a Mac II.  In particular, I think that it would be a great improvement if
non-trivial user interface features could be implemented in HyperTalk and
still keep things responsive, even if the semantics of HyperTalk remained
just as they already are.

One thing to keep in mind is that Apple has a very good track record of
changing their products, especially when those products have been declared
"system software" :-).

My guess (which is just that, this time) is that we won't see another version
of HyperCard before System 7.0 hits the streets, but that we will see one
either at that time or shortly thereafter.  HyperCard is the most obvious
thing to drop user-customizable support for IAC into, among other things.
It's already got a nice little script interpreter and user interface, and
giving HyperTalk the ability to send and receive messages to and from other
applications would give it a huge amount of new leverage.

stadler@Apple.COM (Andy Stadler) (11/27/89)

In article <21412@ut-emx.UUCP> dnewman@emx.UUCP (David Newman) writes:
>I'd just like to see something like: "We're now working on HyperCard 2.0."
>Or perhaps a note to the effect that "We plan to announce HyperCard 2.0 in
>xxx weeks."  In otherwords, more of a statement of committment rather than
>a definite announcement of specifications or features.
>
>Apple may have made such a statement already, but when nothing further is
>said, people get nervous.  In such a situation, updates like the following
>might be nice:  "We're still working on HyperCard 2.0" or "We now anticipate
>an announcement of HyperCard 2.0 in yyy weeks rather than xxx as previously
>announced."
>
> [..]
>
>Ignorantly,
>>>Dave

Well, now and again various Apple engineers have been on this board and have
stated specifically things which would or wouldn't be in HyperCard 2.0.

--Andy      stadler@apple.com

Disclaimer:  Should there happen to indeed be a project called HyperCard 2.0,
             I don't happen to work on it.  I'm working on something even
             cooler.

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (11/30/89)

In case you're wondering whether anyone from the HyperCard team is listening,
the answer is yes.  I've entered that Mr. Coffee thing as Feature Requests
number 86,934a (interface) and number 86,934b (driver)  :-)

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Team

rieman@boulder.Colorado.EDU (John Rieman) (11/30/89)

In article <36874@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

>In case you're wondering whether anyone from the HyperCard team is listening,
>the answer is yes.  I've entered that Mr. Coffee thing as Feature Requests
>number 86,934a (interface) and number 86,934b (driver)  :-)
>
>Kevin Calhoun
>HyperCard Team

Hey, we were wondering if there even *was* a HyperCard team!

Bummer about your taking on the Mr. Coffee challenge, though.  Guess I'll
have to shift my efforts to a Mr. Refrigerator XFCN.  (A tougher problem --
it doesn't just turn on an appliance, it returns something to eat.)

-john

John Rieman
CU Boulder

gasp@cs.bu.edu (Isaac Kohane) (02/09/90)

Thanks to those who sent me EMAIL regarding the HC 2.0 release date.
The most informed sources thought that the 2.0 release would occur
around the time of the release of System 7.0 to take advantage of some
of that system's features. Any other rumors or factoids?

			-Zak

jk3t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan King) (02/09/90)

gasp@cs.bu.edu (Isaac Kohane) writes:
> Thanks to those who sent me EMAIL regarding the HC 2.0 release date.
> The most informed sources thought that the 2.0 release would occur
> around the time of the release of System 7.0 to take advantage of some
> of that system's features. Any other rumors or factoids?

Well, if Hypercard 2.0's release date is now being tied to that of
System 7.0, then that suggests we can have no clue as to when it will
really come out.  May? July? 1991?  Who knows?  The only sane thing to
do is to assume that the thing does not exist (event though it surely
does) and do what you can with the current version.

The amount of useful information contained in most rumors about
Hypercard 2.0 is probably negligible, and the amount of misinformation
probably substantial.  Personally, I'm still waiting for real data
structures, and the promised* Mr. Coffee interface.

jking

*well, at least we were told it was on the official feature request list...

roskill@cs.umass.edu (03/15/90)

Howdy,

I've been seeing a lot of talk about Hypercard 2.0 on the net, but
has anyone heard when it is going to be released?

Just tryin' to figure out my stupid mail system,

Damian

|----------------------------------------------------------------|
|"Party For Your Right To Fight"  |  "Welcome to the Terrordome!"|
| Damian Roskill                  |                              |
| Roskill@cs.umass.edu            |                              |
|----------------------------------------------------------------|

mwartak@pro-angmar.UUCP (Martin Wartak) (07/01/90)

From what I've heard, you can expect to see HyperCard 2.0 in mass quantities
at Apple Dealers sometime in early July.
Martin Wartak                |  InterNet: pro-angmar!mwartak@alphalpha.com
Twisted Pair Consulting      |  UUCP:     !uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!mwartak
AOL: MartinW                 |  FidoNet:  Martin Wartak at 1:101/121
CIS: 72357,313               |  USnail:   56 Fenno St. Cambridge, MA 02138

wolf@mel.cipl.uiowa (07/03/90)

In the press release for HC2.0, it stated that card sizes of up to 18 inches
would be possible.  Does this mean scrollable cards or simply, you can make the
card the size of your larger monitors?

WOLF@MEL.CIPL.UIOWA.EDU

cpv0@GTE.COM (Cameron Vaziri) (07/04/90)

In article <1990Jul2.130519.1@mel.cipl.uiowa>, wolf@mel.cipl.uiowa writes:
> In the press release for HC2.0, it stated that card sizes of up to 18 inches
> would be possible.  Does this mean scrollable cards or simply, you can make the
> card the size of your larger monitors?
>
> WOLF@MEL.CIPL.UIOWA.EDU

If your monitor is too small for the card size then HyperCard 2.0
will let you place the card into a scrolling window.  I believe
there is also a palette which lets you navigate to a certain
region (looks like a frame within a frame which shows you the
visible portion of the card with respect to the overall card
area).

The above is based on an all to quick demo of a beta version of
HyperCard 2.0.  Please forgive me if the above description is
either too cryptic or somewhat inaccurate.

Pete Vaziri
cpv0@gte.com

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (07/06/90)

In article <9398@bunny.GTE.COM> cpv0@GTE.COM (Cameron Vaziri) writes:
> In article <1990Jul2.130519.1@mel.cipl.uiowa>, wolf@mel.cipl.uiowa
writes:
> > In the press release for HC2.0, it stated that card sizes of up to 18
inches
> > would be possible.  Does this mean scrollable cards or simply, you can
make the
> > card the size of your larger monitors?
> >
> > WOLF@MEL.CIPL.UIOWA.EDU
>
> If your monitor is too small for the card size then HyperCard 2.0
> will let you place the card into a scrolling window.

Tried to mail to you, but it bounced - sorry to trouble the net.

Cameron is right about the scrolling window. HC 2.0 also allows you to set
the card size for the cards in a stack. You can set any custom size you
like (from about 1" sq. to about 18" sq.), or choose from a set of
standard sizes (9" screen, 12" screen, and so on). But note that *all* the
cards in a stack must be the same size.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 77-A |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

bdest@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Benoit Desjardins) (07/28/90)

Many of you obviously seem to have a copy of Hypercard 2.0. Would
someone be kind enough to E-Mail me a stuffed and binhexed copy of the
latest version (not to this list, but to my personnal E-Mail address?

					Benoit Desjardins
					benoit@speedy.cs.pitt.edu

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (08/17/90)

In article <26281@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, bdest@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Benoit Desjardins) writes:
> Many of you obviously seem to have a copy of Hypercard 2.0. Would
> someone be kind enough to E-Mail me a stuffed and binhexed copy of the
> latest version (not to this list, but to my personnal E-Mail address?
>
> 					Benoit Desjardins
> 					benoit@speedy.cs.pitt.edu

Is piracy to be condoned in this newgroup then?

Regards Alan

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (08/21/90)

How can you pirate system software if you already have a Mac (i.e. you
already have a license for the System software)?

The problem is that HC 2.0 hasn't left the factory yet :-(

And giving away HC 2.0 beta-something is probably against your non-disclosure
agreement :-(

Still waiting,
Kevin

Kevin Purcell             | kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk
Surface Science Centre    |
Liverpool University      | Omit needless words.

mennella@irst.UUCP (Giuseppe Mennella) (09/07/90)

Is HyperCard 2.0 available by ftp from apple.com or another
site? ........yes! What's the complete path where find it?

Thanks in advance

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::    Giuseppe Mennella      ::
::      I.R.S.T. Povo        ::
::     Trento -- Italy       ::
::                           ::
::    mennella@irst.uucp     ::
::     mennella%irst.it      ::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (09/08/90)

The decision has been made here not to make HyperCard 2.0 available via
ftp.  Neither will it be available for downloading on any of the commercial
online services.

I very much regret the inconvenience this will cause many of you and the
delay in getting 2.0 into your hands.

None of us who are regular readers of this newsgroup had anything to do
with the decision.  We're just the engineers...

Kevin Calhoun
Software engineer
Apple Computer

Scott D. Camp <Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu> (09/09/90)

In article <44630@apple.Apple.COM>, jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) says:

>The decision has been made here not to make HyperCard 2.0 available via
>ftp.  Neither will it be available for downloading on any of the commercial
>online services.
>
>delay in getting 2.0 into your hands.
>
>None of us who are regular readers of this newsgroup had anything to do
>with the decision.  We're just the engineers...
>
>Kevin Calhoun
>Software engineer
>Apple Computer

I certainly don't want to flame any of the Apple employees who spend their
own time answering questions and providing information on the net.

As Kevin notes, this decision was not made by any of that group of
individuals.  However, I must say that I am disappointed with this decision
on the part of Apple.  I won't die having to wait until a copy of 2.0 makes
its way to my university support group, and I have to wait a day or two
until they get around to copying it for me.

However, it would have been much nicer had I not had to pursue this route.
One of the reasons I was excited about Apple releasing HC 2.0 over the net,
and I know this sounds corny, was because it was a service they were
extending to at least some of their users.  And as many people have pointed
out in many forums, Apple is not noted for the service they provide to
users who are not Fortune 500 corporations.

Now, it may be that Apple decided it was too expensive for them to use some
of their resources to make HyperCard available to an admittedly small group
of net users.  I don't know.  However, I would like to know.

So, my request to Apple would be to give us an explanation for why this
scheme was abandoned.  In reality, this request is directed to those
employees at Apple who may know why this project was abandoned.  Maybe if
the official explanation could be posted, then we won't spend a lot of time
flaming Apple for not providing HC 2.0 via ftp.

I know that I for one will reserve my opinions on this action until I
obtain more information.

Thank you to anyone at Apple who is listening.  Again, none of this is
intended to be a flame of either Apple the corporation or any individuals
at Apple.

Scott D.  Camp Q8N@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
The Pennsylvania State University
305 Oswald Tower
University Park, PA 16802 814-863-0121

Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu (Scott D. Camp) (09/09/90)

In article <44630@apple.Apple.COM>, jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) says:

>The decision has been made here not to make HyperCard 2.0 available via
>ftp.  Neither will it be available for downloading on any of the commercial
>online services.
>
>delay in getting 2.0 into your hands.
>
>None of us who are regular readers of this newsgroup had anything to do
>with the decision.  We're just the engineers...
>
>Kevin Calhoun
>Software engineer
>Apple Computer

I certainly don't want to flame any of the Apple employees who spend their
own time answering questions and providing information on the net.

As Kevin notes, this decision was not made by any of that group of
individuals.  However, I must say that I am disappointed with this decision
on the part of Apple.  I won't die having to wait until a copy of 2.0 makes
its way to my university support group, and I have to wait a day or two
until they get around to copying it for me.

However, it would have been much nicer had I not had to pursue this route.
One of the reasons I was excited about Apple releasing HC 2.0 over the net,
and I know this sounds corny, was because it was a service they were
extending to at least some of their users.  And as many people have pointed
out in many forums, Apple is not noted for the service they provide to
users who are not Fortune 500 corporations. No flame intended here. I feel
that Apple does more on our campus to get information out to users than does
that other company. Just repeating an often heard criticism of Apple.

[...]

emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery) (09/10/90)

It would be useful to know where within Apple we should send our cards
and letters of protest.  We'll save our bullets for them...
				dave emery
				emery@aries.mitre.org

msmiller@gonzoville.Eng.Sun.COM (Mark Miller) (09/10/90)

In article <44630@apple.Apple.COM>, jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

|>The decision has been made here not to make HyperCard 2.0 available via
|>ftp.  Neither will it be available for downloading on any of the commercial
|>online services.
|>
|>I very much regret the inconvenience this will cause many of you and the
|>delay in getting 2.0 into your hands.
|>
|>None of us who are regular readers of this newsgroup had anything to do
|>with the decision.  We're just the engineers...
|>
|>Kevin Calhoun
|>Software engineer
|>Apple Computer

I just hope your higher-ups realize the damage they're doing. It will
take years before people ever again believe a ship date for Apple
software - that is, when a date is given - which ain't even happening
now. The only thing worse than being constantly given later and later
ship dates is being given no ship dates whatsoever.

Putting HC 2.0 on public download sites probably wouldn't have helped
Apple's reputation much, but keeping it off just aggrivates an already
impatient public.

	-MSM

Mark S. Miller               "Different         "In a nation ruled by swine,
UUCP: msmiller@Sun.COM         things           all pigs are upward mobile."
GEnie/AOL: MSMILLER             vary"                   - Hunter S. Thompson

heather@merlin.bcm.tmc.edu (Heather Mayor) (09/11/90)

I think Apple is making a big mistake in not making hypercard 2.0
available by anonymous ftp to the small but knowledgeable and
certainly supportive group of users involved.  I wonder if they
will continue to be so supportive in the future?
heather@merlin.bcm.tmc.edu

matt@MAPS.CS.CMU.EDU (Matthew Diamond) (09/11/90)

In article <2577@east.East.Sun.COM>, msmiller@gonzoville.Eng.Sun.COM
(Mark Miller) writes:

|> I just hope your higher-ups realize the damage they're doing. It will
|> take years before people ever again believe a ship date for Apple
|> software - that is, when a date is given - which ain't even happening
|> now. The only thing worse than being constantly given later and later
|> ship dates is being given no ship dates whatsoever.

I'm kinda peeved too-- BUT:
I remember the fuss on one of the games bboards over Ultima VI, which
was very buggy when released.  "Why oh why couldn't they wait 6 months,"
everyone said.  "As responsible consumers we must encourage quality
in software products, reward those companies who take the time to put
out working software, even if we have to wait longer, etc."

Here we are, doing the exact opposite.

Now, not many people here were posting over there, but I think many people
share the view that we should encourage companies not to release products
that they KNOW has bugs, just because they can patch it up later.
The people who pay are the users who lose time/data dealing with the
buggy programs, even if they get a fixed version later.

Here's what I'm trying to say.  YES, it would be nice if Apple told us what the
delay was about (bugs, marketing decision, what?).  YES, I think Apple
should put it on the net when it comes out.  YES, they should give us
an idea as to how long a delay we're looking at (weeks, couple months,
1/2 year?).  NO, Apple should not feel pressured to cite an exact date.
ABOVE ALL, **NO** we should not pressure Apple to release software which
obviously just isn't ready yet.  Because if they do, we'll be the first
complaining about the bugs.

In other words, be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Matthew Diamond
matt@maps.cs.cmu.edu

jon@gara.une.oz.au (Jonathan Burne CCEN) (09/11/90)

In article <44630@apple.Apple.COM>, jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

> The decision has been made here not to make HyperCard 2.0 available via
> ftp.  Neither will it be available for downloading on any of the commercial
> online services.

	I am disappointed at this decision but I can see some reasons for it.
Apple is now a very big company and HyperCard is an important product. There
must be enormous pressure within Apple to distribute HC 2 in the conventional
manner, ie: disks and manual at a price through the dealer network. I also
believe that the average HyperCard scriptor will need a new manual to cover
the changes in HC 2.

	It would have been great to see HC 2 available to FTP :-(

						Jonathan Burne
						Mac Support
						Computer Centre
						University of New England
						Armidale 2351
						Australia

moore@cs.washington.edu (Charles Moore) (09/11/90)

In article <2577@east.East.Sun.COM>, msmiller@gonzoville.Eng.Sun.COM (Mark Miller) writes:

> It will
> take years before people ever again believe a ship date for Apple
> software - that is, when a date is given - which ain't even happening
> now. The only thing worse than being constantly given later and later
> ship dates is being given no ship dates whatsoever.

I respectfully disagree.  The standard in the industry has been to
always provide a ship date which almost invariably slips and usually
slips by a lot.  Software development being the art (not science) that
it is, it is not possible to set a reliable ship date until the
product is quite near completion.  Even then, the probability is high
that you will be wrong since "quite near completion" is itself a
matter of belief.

If, however, a company provides a ship date, outsiders will likely
believe that date (to a greater or lesser extent) and begin to make
plans around it.  Then, when that date slips, they will be hurt
because their plans will fail.  If, on the other hand, a company
announces no ship date, it effectively tells all outside parties that
they should make no plans that depend on the date of availability of
the product.  In this latter case, no damage to outsiders will result
from the vagaries of the software development process.

I applaud Apple for (at least initially) taking the latter approach
with System 7.0.  "Sometime in the 1990's" is the kind of ship date
that nobody should have been tempted to build potentially damaging
plans around.

Charles Moore

lnk10562@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/11/90)

Has everyone forgotten that HyperCard _is_ a commercial software product,
and not system software?  System code has been released through online
channels in the past, like Compu$erve, but this is something people pay money
for.  I don't see Claris publishing new versions of MacWrite and MacPaint
electronically, or any software pubisher for that matter.  Just because HC
is bundled with each new Mac doesn't mean everyone is retroactively entitled
to it.

What Apple _could_ do is release an upgrade kit that somehow transforms
HC 1.x into 2.0.  That way people who already own HC and are entitled to
the upgrade can get it.   BTW, will the 1.x->2.0 upgrade be free at Apple
dealers if we bring in our disks?  Something makes me feel the answer is
no...hmmmmm...

Louis Koziarz
koziarz@uiuc.edu

msmiller@gonzoville.Eng.Sun.COM (Mark Miller) (09/12/90)

In article <13000@june.cs.washington.edu>, moore@cs.washington.edu
(Charles Moore) writes:
|>In article <2577@east.East.Sun.COM>, msmiller@gonzoville.Eng.Sun.COM
(Mark Miller) writes:

|>> It will
|>> take years before people ever again believe a ship date for Apple
|>> software - that is, when a date is given - which ain't even happening
|>> now. The only thing worse than being constantly given later and later
|>> ship dates is being given no ship dates whatsoever.
|>
|>I respectfully disagree.  The standard in the industry has been to
|>always provide a ship date which almost invariably slips and usually
|>slips by a lot.
|> [...]
|>If, however, a company provides a ship date, outsiders will likely
|>believe that date (to a greater or lesser extent) and begin to make
|>plans around it.  Then, when that date slips, they will be hurt
|>because their plans will fail.

These two bits contradict themselves. If the "standard" is to have
useless ship dates, why would anyone believe them in the first place.
However, your phrasing pretty much proves my point: "... a ship date
which almost invariably slips ..." You don't believe they can ship
on time, the damage is done.

mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) (09/13/90)

In article <2577@east.East.Sun.COM> msmiller@Sun.COM (Mark Miller) writes:
>I just hope your higher-ups realize the damage they're doing. It will
>take years before people ever again believe a ship date for Apple
>software - that is, when a date is given - which ain't even happening
>now. The only thing worse than being constantly given later and later
>ship dates is being given no ship dates whatsoever.

   I don't think anyone has believed an Apple ship date for quite some time
now.  Apple has consistantly missed ship dates on most releases.  My attitude
with Apple is "when it's shipped, it's shipped!  Not until then!".
   In other words, don't loose sleep over the fact that Apple hasn't shipped
something yet!  Just kick back, relax, and wait... wait... wait... then be
happy when you have it!

mark				mrx@dhw68k.cts.com

jkc@apple.com (John Kevin Calhoun) (09/21/90)

Here's today's press release regarding HyperCard 2.0:

APPLE ANNOUNCES TRANSFER OF HYPERCARD TO CLARIS

CUPERTINO, California -- September 20, 1990 -- Apple Computer, Inc. today
announced that it has transferred  responsibility for development, marketing,
distribution and support of its HyperCard  software product to its wholly-owned
subsidiary Claris Corporation.  This move follows Apple's decision last June to
keep Claris as an independent subsidiary.
     Claris will label, distribute and support HyperCard  in the U.S. beginning
in November 1990. The first broad U.S. distribution of the new HyperCard 2.0 --
which contains more than 100 new features for greater flexibility and ease of
use -- will be as a Claris product.
     HyperCard and its current and future users will benefit from Claris
customer support and more aggressive development and marketing. International
markets will be evaluated and, where appropriate, implemented case-by-case.
     A version of HyperCard 2.0, which will run existing HyperCard stacks and
new HyperCard 2.0 stacks, will continue to be shipped with every Macintosh
computer.
     A complete HyperCard 2.0 authoring system, necessary for developing
stacks, will be sold by Claris.
     Claris will offer low-cost upgrades to the installed base of HyperCard
customers in November.  All current distribution agreements with user
groups and third-party developers will be honored.  Starting next year,
distribution agreements will be made with Claris. Beginning with the
transition, Claris will also offer customer support to all users who have
purchased  the Claris-labeled
HyperCard 2.0.
     "The transfer of HyperCard will be a positive move for all parties," said
Randy Battat, vice president of worldwide product marketing for  Apple
Computer.  "Customers will benefit from the new  support available to them
through Claris, and the active development of new HyperCard stacks;  developers
will appreciate the aggressive Claris marketing programs resulting in expanded
customer acceptance and ultimately
many exciting new HyperCard solutions."
     John Zeisler, Claris marketing vice president, said, "HyperCard is an
important first step in Claris's new focus on turning software into a strategic
advantage for Apple. We're excited about new ways to enrich Apple's software
development environment and promote the creation of innovative Macintosh
applications."
     HyperCard 2.0, announced in June, 1990, will provide users with easy
access to the power of Macintosh computer programming, and greater flexibility
to manage and create information, using virtually any type of media. Among the
easiest to use and learn programming tools for personal computers, HyperCard
2.0 is expected to appeal to beginners who can put it to work immediately, and
to corporate and commercial developers, for whom it is a more powerful
development environment than ever.  HyperCard 2.0 features an entirely new set
of ready-to-use and example stacks for storing personal and business
information, and creating graphics and charts.

Apple, Macintosh, and HyperCard are registered trademarks of Apple Computer,
Inc.
Claris is a registered trademark of Claris Corporation.

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (09/21/90)

In <44987@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@apple.com (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

 >Here's today's press release regarding HyperCard 2.0:
 (---)
 >     A version of HyperCard 2.0, which will run existing HyperCard stacks and
 >new HyperCard 2.0 stacks, will continue to be shipped with every Macintosh
 >computer.
 >     A complete HyperCard 2.0 authoring system, necessary for developing
 >stacks, will be sold by Claris.

Does this mean that we are going to have two versions of HC: HC-runtime and
HC-development, the former semi-PD and the latter strict commercial?

What configurations could be done in a stack with the "free" version of HC?

   /Olle

emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery) (09/21/90)

Well, the great experiment is over, and we lose.

From the Press Release:
>     A version of HyperCard 2.0, which will run existing HyperCard stacks and
>new HyperCard 2.0 stacks, will continue to be shipped with every Macintosh
>computer.
>     A complete HyperCard 2.0 authoring system, necessary for developing
>stacks, will be sold by Claris.

The original notion of HyperCard was "a tool for the rest of us", with
everything included with the Mac.  Now it's "a reader for the rest of
us", with "money to Claris to do any development", thus negating the
whole idea of an infinitely-modifiable authoring system for every Mac
user.

It was interesting while it lasted.  I think I'll wait for a GNU
version of Hyper-<whatever>, which will really live up to the promise
of HyperCard as a real authoring system "for the rest of us".

Shame on you, Apple!!

				dave emery
				emery@aries.mitre.org

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep20.191814.455@sics.se> ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:
>In <44987@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@apple.com (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:
>

> >Here's today's press release regarding HyperCard 2.0:
> (---)
> >     A version of HyperCard 2.0, which will run existing HyperCard stacks and
> >new HyperCard 2.0 stacks, will continue to be shipped with every Macintosh
> >computer.
> >     A complete HyperCard 2.0 authoring system, necessary for developing
> >stacks, will be sold by Claris.
>

>Does this mean that we are going to have two versions of HC: HC-runtime and
>HC-development, the former semi-PD and the latter strict commercial?
>
>What configurations could be done in a stack with the "free" version of HC?
>
>   /Olle

  On this matter:

  I was seeded with HyperCard 2.0 beta and have worked extensively with it.
Nothing ever indicated that the implied move would take place.

  Today, I called the Apple Developer Hotline and expressed my concerns
about what this would do to the HyperCard environment and its usefulness.
The person at the Hotline expressed that they had received no information
about this beyond the press release, even to the point of an internal HC 2.0
briefing last week not mentioning this move.

  After expressing my concerns, the Hotline person indicated that she would
talk to a couple of internal contacts she had and would Link me back with a
clarification of what is to happen.

  Further, she indicated that if they actually mean to take scripting
capability away from the causal user, she said that she would assist in
preparing a complaint and direct it to the office of the appropriate person.

  I will keep the Net up to date on what they tell me.  However, I recommend
that anyone who finds this disturbing phone up Apple themselves.

  The main Apple switchboard, for those who don't know, is 1-(408)-996-1010.
Ask for "customer service" which will probably get you a drone with a list
of Apple dealers.  Then, tell the person on the other end that you wish to
make a complaint.

  The point is that it may not be clear to the decision-makers how useless
this makes HyperCard.  If you help out by making it clear, there may be time
to make a change.

-- Mark Wilkins

P.S.  Please don't flame Apple until more info is available.  The DevHotline
person indicated that this may just mean that an advanced developer toolkit is
available, not that scripting is being taken away from the user.

P.P.S.  The above, however, is not how I read it.

chuq@Apple.COM (The Wandering Phew) (09/21/90)

emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery) writes:

>Well, the great experiment is over, and we lose.

Well, yet another Net.Expert goes off half-cocked based on incomplete
information and a can't-wait-to-bash-Apple attitude. Feh

>Shame on you, Apple!!

Shame on you. What the facts are is that there is *one* hypercard. The
difference in the versions is that on some of the lower end products, the
ability to get out of browsing mode will be hidden. Not gone, hidden -- to
protect someone who hasn't figured things out yet won't get themselves in
deep trouble. Some of the authoring stacks -- the Ideas stuff -- won't be
included as well (but are generally available if you decide you want them).

Yet another mindless flame. I guess if people can't find legitimate reasons
to flame us, they'll go make them up from hearsay. Next thing you know,
National Enquirer will start their own Macintosh section.

I don't know why I bother. People are so happy to be judge and jury around
here. Sorry to throw a few facts on the fire.

--
Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

mumble..mumble...mumble...mumbleLemieuxSCORE!!!!!!!...mumble...mumble..mumble

In article <8537@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
>  I will keep the Net up to date on what they tell me.  However, I recommend
>that anyone who finds this disturbing phone up Apple themselves.
>
>  The main Apple switchboard, for those who don't know, is 1-(408)-996-1010.
>Ask for "customer service" which will probably get you a drone with a list
>of Apple dealers.  Then, tell the person on the other end that you wish to
>make a complaint.

  Before you all flame me, I want to make clear that Chuq is RIGHT!  Please
don't do this until you know the facts, and only then if you are still
dissatisfied!

  Remember that a single press-release in vague terms tells us very little
about what will actually happen.

  And by the way, sorry if I seemed to be advocating jumping the gun.  That
wasn't my intention.

-- Mark Wilkins

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/21/90)

-------
In article <44996@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple.COM (The Wandering Phew) writes...

>emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery) writes:
>
>>Well, the great experiment is over, and we lose.
>
>Well, yet another Net.Expert goes off half-cocked based on incomplete
>information and a can't-wait-to-bash-Apple attitude. Feh
>
>>Shame on you, Apple!!
>
>Shame on you. What the facts are is that there is *one* hypercard. The
>difference in the versions is that on some of the lower end products, the
>ability to get out of browsing mode will be hidden. Not gone, hidden -- to
>protect someone who hasn't figured things out yet won't get themselves in
>deep trouble. Some of the authoring stacks -- the Ideas stuff -- won't be
>included as well (but are generally available if you decide you want them).
>
>Yet another mindless flame. I guess if people can't find legitimate reasons
>to flame us, they'll go make them up from hearsay. Next thing you know,
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>National Enquirer will start their own Macintosh section.

No no no.  I think that _this_ time the "flamers" had a point.  I'm usually an
"anti-flamer", and I'm sick of people dumping on Apple.  But read the press
release:

"     A version of HyperCard 2.0, which will run existing HyperCard stacks and
new HyperCard 2.0 stacks, will continue to be shipped with every Macintosh
computer.
     A complete HyperCard 2.0 authoring system, necessary for developing
stacks, will be sold by Claris. "

C'mon, be fair.  What does it sound like?  A version of HC 2.0 "which will
run...stacks, will continue to be shipped with every Macintosh computer."  OK,
why the word "run"?  To emphasize that it will run 1.0 and 2.0 stacks?  OK, but
it could also be legitimately be read as a run-time version, particularly when
directly followed by "A complete HyperCard 2.0 authoring system, necessary for
developing stacks, will be sold by Claris."  Look at that last line again:
"...necessary for developing stacks..."  After reading your post, Chuq, I
understand what Apple's doing, but what do the words say to someone who doesn't
already know the plan?  That you will _need_ (necessary!) Claris' kit to do
stack development.

So I think any objective observer could have gotten the wrong impression.  I
think Apple's press release authors are at fault, and they should perhaps
practice a bit more next time.

That having been said, I think people need to give Apple the benefit of the
doubt more often.  But I also think Apple has to regain some of the good will
it's squandered by questionable actions in the past few years (remember them
_raising_ Mac prices a couple of years ago??).

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

dlong@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (09/21/90)

My first reaction to this press release was negative- I was afraid Apple had
fallen into the same trap that Microsoft/Asymmetrix have with Toolbook...
that is, restricting authorship of stacks to those willing to pay extra.
If, as Chuq says, the ability to author is merely *hidden* in the regular
release, this should not create many problems; people who are curious will
still be able to experiment without making an extra monetary commitment.
I think folks here on the net have realized, a system does not become a
lingua franca if only some of the participants can speak (author) in it!

What is unclear in my mind right now is just how the Claris "authoring"
version of HyperCard will be different.  Will it include extra stacks,
more manuals?  What will the standard version include? (i.e., will the
standard version include just the "User's Guide", and the authoring
version also include the "beginners guide to scripting"?)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
dave long		      dlong@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
research programmer           dlong@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
computing services office     AppleLink: A0377
university of illinois

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists
elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us"

	-Calvin
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (09/21/90)

In article <44996@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (The Wandering Phew) writes:
>Well, yet another Net.Expert goes off half-cocked based on incomplete
>information and a can't-wait-to-bash-Apple attitude. Feh
>
>Shame on you. What the facts are is that there is *one* hypercard. The
>difference in the versions is that on some of the lower end products, the
>ability to get out of browsing mode will be hidden. Not gone, hidden -- to
>protect someone who hasn't figured things out yet won't get themselves in
>deep trouble. Some of the authoring stacks -- the Ideas stuff -- won't be
>included as well (but are generally available if you decide you want them).
>
>Yet another mindless flame. I guess if people can't find legitimate reasons
>to flame us, they'll go make them up from hearsay. Next thing you know,
>National Enquirer will start their own Macintosh section.
>
>I don't know why I bother. People are so happy to be judge and jury around
>here. Sorry to throw a few facts on the fire.

Whoah, Chuq. I have no doubt that you know what you're talking about, but

>> A complete HyperCard 2.0 authoring system, necessary for
>> developing stacks, will be sold by Claris.

this excerpt from the press release indicates pretty clearly that purchase
of a package from Claris will be necessary for those wishing to do stack
development. Maybe the press release was worded clumsily. But it's
not at all unreasonable to draw from it the conclusion that Apple will
no longer be bundling an application capable of creating and modifying
HyperCard stacks.

Now, that may not turn out to be true when all the facts are in. But it's
not "hearsay", it's not mindless, and it doesn't deserve getting out the
oxy-acetylene torch for.
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

jonu@FtCollins.NCR.com (Jon Udell) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep20.191814.455@sics.se> ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:

> In <44987@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@apple.com (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

>  >Here's today's press release regarding HyperCard 2.0:
>  (---)
>  >   A version of HyperCard 2.0, which will run existing HyperCard stacks and
>  >new HyperCard 2.0 stacks, will continue to be shipped with every Macintosh
>  >computer.
>  >   A complete HyperCard 2.0 authoring system, necessary for developing
>  >stacks, will be sold by Claris.

> Does this mean that we are going to have two versions of HC: HC-runtime and
> HC-development, the former semi-PD and the latter strict commercial?

> What configurations could be done in a stack with the "free" version of HC?

I was wondering the same thing.  However if this is the case, the
statement

   >HyperCard 2.0 is expected to appeal to beginners who can put it to
   >work immediately, and to corporate and commercial developers, for whom
   >it is a more powerful development environment than ever.

is a bit of a contradiction.  Unless, of course, they expect that only
"corporate and commercial developers" are going to try to program with
Hypercard.

Jon Udell
NCR Microelectronics Products Division      Jon.Udell@FtCollins.NCR.COM
2057 Vermont                                uunet!ncrlnk!ncr-mpd!ncr-fc!jonu
Fort Collins, CO 80525                      (303) 223-5100 X431

jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) (09/21/90)

Why flame anybody? Since they will be charging extra for the developer's
version, now they can include a few things HC needs -
debugger
manual
compiler

Maybe the proud owners of the developer's version will even be entitled
to some sort of support, at least in the form of tech notes?

On the other hand, the only nice thing claris has ever done is
public folder, and that always crashes my machine.....

-JT

emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery) (09/21/90)

Normally I agree with Chuq.  This time I don't.  HyperCard's strength
came from two facts:
	1.  It came free with the machine.
	2.  Everything was included.
This encouraged non-programmers to experiment with developing stacks,
as well as using them.  The press release implies (damn well states)
that the second condition no longer holds.  I still think this is bad.

>Chuq:
>What the facts are is that there is *one* hypercard. The difference
>in the versions is that on some of the lower end products, the ability
>to get out of browsing mode will be hidden.

As long as there are multiple versions, there are multiple HyperCards.
Period.

>Not gone, hidden -- to protect someone who hasn't figured things out
>yet won't get themselves in deep trouble.

So now the "computer for the rest of us" has to protect us from
ourselves?  Ugh!  Besides, does "hidden" still mean "accessable"?  I
don't understand the difference here.  Either it's there or it's not.
If it's there, then what is Claris selling?

I've been a user of Personal Computers since the TRS-80 I bought back
in 1978, so I consider myself a very well informed consumer.  Over the
years I've had two problems with Apple.  One is the basic cost of
their hardware, and the other is their propensity for sueing on
look-and-feel.  On the other hand, my wife has a Mac at work and at
home, I use them them at work, and we might buy another Mac for home.
So I don't consider myself a "mindless Apple-basher", but I will stand
up and say something when I think Apple (or anyone else) does it wrong.

				dave emery
				emery@aries.mitre.org

heather@merlin.bcm.tmc.edu (Heather Mayor) (09/21/90)

I don't think we should read too much into the recent Apple
press release.  With Apple's interest in the academic market
and the great array of useful hypercard stacks produced by
academics and others using hypercard 1 I don't believe that
authoring will be a difficult and costly process once Hypercard 2
is actually available for distribution to the rest of us!

Heather D. Mayor ( heather@merlin.bcm.tmc.edu)

brindle (Jack Brindle) (09/22/90)

In article <44996@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (The Wandering Phew) writes:

>Yet another mindless flame. I guess if people can't find legitimate reasons
>to flame us, they'll go make them up from hearsay. Next thing you know,
>National Enquirer will start their own Macintosh section.

Gee. I thought they already did. Isn't it called MacWeek? :-).

- Jack B.

tv0c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Edward Van Lenten) (09/22/90)

I have to jump in on Apple's side in this case also.  I have two points;
1-Since when have you see a press release the read exactly as you
though.  The press release is just a little note and a tease, as with
all things we have to wait and see what the final release is when more
info comes.  The other is this, Apple did not ship everything that you
needed to be able to script with Hypercard, it you remember they gave
you the Hypercard into book, and then told you what else you had to buy
to be able to program.  Yea, you could jump in and just try things, and
you most likely will be able to do that again.  But of the information
to do really powerful scripts and to write externals, you will have to
buy something else.
Time will tell, just hold on and see what finally gets out.  Who knows,
as a result of the handing over of HyperCard we may see the program grow
just like MacWrite did.  (After all, MacWrite II is a huge step ahead of
MacWrite)

TVL
-or-Tom Van Lenten
tv0c@andrew.cmu.edu
bitnet%"tv0c@andrew"

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (09/24/90)

In article <EMERY.90Sep21105954@aries.linus.mitre.org>
emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery) writes:
> >Chuq:
> >Not gone, hidden -- to protect someone who hasn't figured things out
> >yet won't get themselves in deep trouble.
>
> So now the "computer for the rest of us" has to protect us from
> ourselves?  Ugh!  Besides, does "hidden" still mean "accessable"?  I
> don't understand the difference here.  Either it's there or it's not.

Have people forgotten that scripting has always been hidden in HyperCard?
It has always been the case that one had to go into the Home stack and
click on "Scripting" to make this feature accessible.

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000

chuq@Apple.COM (The Wandering Phew) writes:

>What the facts are is that there is *one* hypercard.

Hmm. What I said is true -- as far as it goes. A little birdie has told me,
however, that Claris IS thinking of, long term, having separate runtime and
authoring systems. So what I said is true -- for now. Later?

Who knows? what I said was true for the short term. The long term issues
turn out to be unclear.

--

kenk@tellabs.com (Ken Konecki) (09/25/90)

In article <44987@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@apple.com (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:
>     A version of HyperCard 2.0, which will run existing HyperCard stacks and
>new HyperCard 2.0 stacks, will continue to be shipped with every Macintosh
>computer.
>     A complete HyperCard 2.0 authoring system, necessary for developing
>stacks, will be sold by Claris.

According to a Claris spokesperson quoted in MacWeek, there will be 2
versions of Hypercard. The version shipped with all Macs will not be able
to do scripting, but the version you (of course) shell out dollars for
will be fully functional.

So what's the truth here? Is Chuq telling us the truth, or is Claris
telling us the real story?

Cheers,
    -Ken K
--
Ken Konecki
"Eat well, stay fit, and die anyway"

chuq@Apple.COM (The Wandering Phew) (09/26/90)

kenk@tellabs.com (Ken Konecki) writes:

>In article <44987@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@apple.com (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

>So what's the truth here? Is Chuq telling us the truth, or is Claris
>telling us the real story?

I was telling the truth for 2.0. What Claris does later may well be
different, and as far as I can tell, they're telling the truth for that. 2.0
is 2.0 is 2.0 -- but 2.?? is still being looked at.

--
Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

mumble..mumble...mumble...mumbleLemieuxSCORE!!!!!!!...mumble...mumble..mumble

mrfung@nada.kth.se (Lars-Erik Fredriksson) (09/26/90)

C'mon Chuck,

We know you always like to break news to us but now you seem to be
throwing dust in our eyes!

you say:

> I was telling the truth for 2.0. What Claris does later may well be
> different, and as far as I can tell, they're telling the truth for that. 2.0
> is 2.0 is 2.0 -- but 2.?? is still being looked at.

what is it you really *know* 'cause if 2.0 is never shipped to anyone
it really does not matter if there is only *one* version of it! If you
*really* know something speak up and if you don't the info about 2.0
is very esotheric and I regard your argument as mere sophistic acrobatics
if it is really only discussing an interrim compiled version that will
never hit the users!

If you know something profound about this then please talk clearly
and don't just try to cover up for something you blurted out just
because you were hoping or whatever.

Too much fairypowder? When you wish upon a card! I like to express
my sympathy for the developers of Hypercard who must feel terrible
after having worked soo hard to finally get 2.0 ready and still will
have to wait for some time to hear the cheers of the amazed crowd of
people still waiting to put their hands on 2.0.

It is not fair to them and not to us because a lot of good work could
already have been done using the final version of 2.0 and it is really
a tremendous improvement over the 1.2.5 and earlier versions!

I really hope this gets solved *quickly* or lots of goodwill will be
lost for Apple.

The only real solution if Claris wants to make a buck on it is to ship
what is ready and then make an attractive developers package with loads
of XCMD's and samplescripts and code and *good* documentation that
people would want to buy anyhow even thou they get the uncrippled
version!

mrfung has spoken!

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (09/26/90)

In article <3920@tellab5.tellabs.com>, kenk@tellabs.com (Ken Konecki) writes:
> According to a Claris spokesperson quoted in MacWeek, there will be 2
> versions of Hypercard. The version shipped with all Macs will not be able
> to do scripting, but the version you (of course) shell out dollars for
> will be fully functional.

And so it goes.  Mark this one on your calanders boys and girls, this is
the day that Apple has finally shot themselves in their feet.  The power,
usefulness, whatever, of HC was that EVERYONE had it and could change stacks
to their own liking...

Now of course it looks like this is all in the past.  It is also interesting
to note that almost all of the "big" HC developers/publishers are no more.

Putting a runtime version out that is "free" is about as intelligent as
putting a runtime basic out, and about as useful.  Whatever happened to
"software" for the masses?  It's not for the masses if you have
to pay for a development system, and its not friendly if people consider
it to be a developer only package...
--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (09/26/90)

In <gayecmC00UzxI3o45p@andrew.cmu.edu> tv0c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Edward Van Lenten) writes:

>as a result of the handing over of HyperCard we may see the program grow
>just like MacWrite did.  (After all, MacWrite II is a huge step ahead of
>MacWrite)

On the other hand, MacWrite II is not every mans property as MacWrite was
when it was shipped with every Mac. Still the old MacWrite format is the
lowest common divisor for exchanging formatted text on the Mac.

Degrading the "free" HC to a runtime version could make the old HC-format to
the lowest common divisor for HC-stacks changeable by the user.

Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu (Scott D. Camp) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep26.004233.25633@nada.kth.se>, mrfung@nada.kth.se (Lars-Erik
Fredriksson) says:

>C'mon Chuck,
>
>We know you always like to break news to us but now you seem to be
>throwing dust in our eyes!
>
>you say:
>
>> I was telling the truth for 2.0. What Claris does later may well be
>> different, and as far as I can tell, they're telling the truth for that. 2.0
>> is 2.0 is 2.0 -- but 2.?? is still being looked at.
>
>what is it you really *know* 'cause if 2.0 is never shipped to anyone
>it really does not matter if there is only *one* version of it!

Actually, HC 2.0 has been given to my university for public distribution. It
is a free upgrade, takes 5 800K floppies (of course, the 'tour' takes one of
these five), and appears to be a really good product. I think the HC
development team deserves a lot of credit. Of course, you don't get the
manuals with this type of upgrade, but then there is a HyperTalk reference
stack that helps alleviate this need if you also have some of the popular
HyperCard 2.0 books.

Even though I have HC 2.0, I have no idea of which 'version' I possess.
However, I can assure you that it is completely scriptable (is that a word?).
So, I would assume that Chuq is correct in stating that HC 2.0 has only one
real version and the differences announced in the press release are not
substantial for 2.0. But as Chuq notes, who knows about release 2.x.

I too would like to see some clear word coming from Apple on what they mean
in their rather terse and confusing press release. If they are planning
(Apple, Claris, or whoever) to pursue a path of making users pay for the
full functionality of HC in future releases, then I definitely add my voice
of protest. If this is not the plan, then why was HC handed over to Claris?
I would assume that Claris cannot count the overhead for developing HC off
against the sales of Macs in another division of the company.

I guess what I'm saying is that the changes look ominous for the future of
HC remaining a 'free' part of the system software. Normally, I would not care
to speculate, but I feel forced to so my opinion can be heard before the
decision becomes written in granite (if it hasn't already).

dragon@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael E. Quattlebaum) (09/26/90)

In article <270006A8.3DB6@intercon.com>, kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:
> In article <3920@tellab5.tellabs.com>, kenk@tellabs.com (Ken Konecki) writes:
> > According to a Claris spokesperson quoted in MacWeek, there will be 2
> > versions of Hypercard. The version shipped with all Macs will not be able
> > to do scripting, but the version you (of course) shell out dollars for
> > will be fully functional.
>
> And so it goes.  Mark this one on your calanders boys and girls, this is
> the day that Apple has finally shot themselves in their feet.  The power,
> usefulness, whatever, of HC was that EVERYONE had it and could change stacks
> to their own liking...
>
> Now of course it looks like this is all in the past.  It is also interesting
> to note that almost all of the "big" HC developers/publishers are no more.
>
> Putting a runtime version out that is "free" is about as intelligent as
> putting a runtime basic out, and about as useful.

Bravo.  I agree with this completely.  The entire idea behind Hypercard
was to give power to the user (the entire philosophy of Macintosh and
Apple).  Suddenly we have Apple taking away that power that was given us.
Making Hypercard scripting available only through the purchase of a
special version is rediculous.  I would not mind paying for HC 2.0, but
please, folks, keep it intact!  What will be next?  Will they convert
the Mac OS to DOS format (an extreme example, I admit).  Keep with your
philosophy and continue giving power to the user.  That's what you're best
at.  Do you hear me, Apple?

By the way, my opinions are my own, especially on this issue.

Michael Quattlebaum
Apple Student Rep
Clemson University

Internet: dragon@hubcap.clemson.edu
Bitnet: DRAGON@CLEMSON.BITNET
AppleLink: ST0673

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep13.152439.15192@dhw68k.cts.com> mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) writes:
>In article <2577@east.East.Sun.COM> msmiller@Sun.COM (Mark Miller) writes:
>>I just hope your higher-ups realize the damage they're doing. It will
>>take years before people ever again believe a ship date for Apple
>>software
>
>   I don't think anyone has believed an Apple ship date for quite some time
>now.  Apple has consistantly missed ship dates on most releases.

I don't believe Apple ship dates, Microsoft ship dates, Ashton-Tate ship dates,
or for that matter anyone's ship dates.  If I get when they say, it's a
welcome surprise.  If not, it's par for the course.

chaz

       "I Am The Reincarnation of Abraham Lincoln", Insists Prince.
                 			 -spew
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) (09/27/90)

I just wanted to express my sympathy to the HyperCard engineers.  I can just
imagine them working feverishly on this project for a year or more, and then
when release time comes near and the bugs crop up they have to throw in that
last 10% (to make 110%) while listening to us wimper (because we want it
SOOOOO bad).  I can imagine the sweat, but also the commaraderie (sp?) of being
on a team which is producing something not only of special quality, but of
unique vision: development software for the user, for everyone who recognizes
the iportance of this development (some, alas, don't know what they have.)

And then, in their moment of triumph, in anticipation of the chorus of cheers
(I've seen what the books say 2.0 will do, but I don't cheer until I see it
on my own computer) the powers on high sweep their child off to join the
morass of other software lost in corporate development.  How it must hurt to
see those cheers choke in our throats

Where is the vision that was Apple?

*
(Couldn't they just have released 2.0 and then said further development will
be done by Claris?)

mrfung@nada.kth.se (Lars-Erik Fredriksson) (09/27/90)

Well this is getting *really* confusing

Is it true that it is OK to give HyperCard 2.0 away?
Is it only in Pennsylvania or does this apply to the whole world?

you say it comes on 5 discs If you are free to copy them are you
free to put them up for FTP. I have a distribution too but I was told
differently as nothing was final yet and I am real careful about it
as I don't want to upset anybody ( sorry Chuck maby I should not have
flamed you but who is "calm and placid when one is full of formic acid'
I mean everybody was upset so why not me ;-)

> Even though I have HC 2.0, I have no idea of which 'version' I possess.

What do you mean are you referring to some seeded site release of
beta- software or are you in fact talking about the 'Golden Master'
version 2.0 no betaversion I mean after b68 ( I think that was the
last beta ) No-one would seriously commit any *real* information to
be handled by a beta-version, right ;-)

So please put them up for FTP or send me a list of the stacks the creation-
dates and modification of the files of your 'virginal' 5 disks
and I can always say they came from Pennsylvania ;-)

What gives....

mr 'I can't stop scratching my head from bewilderment" fung

hankins@cs.swarthmore.edu (Luke Hankins) (09/27/90)

In <90269.104119Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu> Scott D. Camp <Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

>Actually, HC 2.0 has been given to my university for public distribution. It
>is a free upgrade, takes 5 800K floppies (of course, the 'tour' takes one of
>these five), and appears to be a really good product. I think the HC
>development team deserves a lot of credit. Of course, you don't get the
>manuals with this type of upgrade, but then there is a HyperTalk reference
>stack that helps alleviate this need if you also have some of the popular
>HyperCard 2.0 books.

I've gotten some hands-on time here, as well.  (not much, tho, aren't
classes a pain in the patooka?)  I was able to put the stuff I needed for
exploring onto a 1.4K and an 800K.  So far it looks really nice, kudos to
the development team!
		-luke

(And the HT reference stack is really well done, too...)
Luke Hankins hankins@cs.swarthmore.edu |"I don't care anymore" -P Collins
for(MyAge=0;!Dead;EnjoyLife);          |"I'm here and here I'll stay" -SOC
While not (EndOfLife) do Havefun(me);  |"...stay sane inside insanity..." -RHPS

dak@mips.com (Dave Kearney) (09/27/90)

Is everyone enjoying the ride?  Life in this industry sure is entertaining!

I'm not going to speculate on what Apple/Claris is or is not going to do
with HC 2.0. But I would like to make an observation.  If there is one
sure way to lose market share it is to create confusion and mixed
messages about your products.  What Apple is saying now and what it has
said in the past is irrelevant if the perception in the PC industry is
that Apple is inconsistant.   It will be interesting to see if the IBM
compatible industry uses this "change of direction" in an attack.

In any case, Apple has succesfully confused the people on this net.
Some would argue that this is not difficult.  If we're confused,
however, the general public will be lost.  Chalk one up for IBM for
winning a battle in which they didn't even fight.

David A. Kearney                           MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
mips.com    950 DeGuigne Dr.    Sunnyvale, CA  94086   +1 408 524-7025
= I'm not a fatalist... But even if I was, what could I do about it? =

Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu (Scott D. Camp) (09/27/90)

Let me provide a follow-up as my original posting seems to have created some
confusion.

First, I want to give a disclaimer up front. While I do work for Penn State,
I am certainly not speaking for Penn State in any capacity, nor am I
responsible for anything Penn State does.

Second, I do not work for any computer group at Penn State in any capacity.
I am a lecturer in sociology. In fact, I have never worked for the
university's computer support groups, although I used to work for a support
group in the College of Liberal Arts.

Enough disclaimers, I think you get the message that this is me speaking.

In article <1990Sep26.194219.6871@nada.kth.se>, mrfung@nada.kth.se (Lars-Erik
Fredriksson) says:

>Well this is getting *really* confusing
>
>Is it true that it is OK to give HyperCard 2.0 away?
>Is it only in Pennsylvania or does this apply to the whole world?

I have no idea as to who is or is not eligible to receive a copy of HC 2.0.
I'm even beginning to wonder if I'm supposed to have a copy. I think someone
from Apple will have to answer this.

>you say it comes on 5 discs If you are free to copy them are you
>free to put them up for FTP. [stuff deleted]

I can't speak for Apple, but I would certainly assume that you cannot make
HyperCard available FTP. After all, remember that Apple nixed the idea of
them doing this.

>> Even though I have HC 2.0, I have no idea of which 'version' I possess.
>
>What do you mean are you referring to some seeded site release of
>beta- software or are you in fact talking about the 'Golden Master'
>version 2.0 no betaversion I mean after b68 ( I think that was the
>last beta ) No-one would seriously commit any *real* information to
>be handled by a beta-version, right ;-)  [stuff deleted]

Right! This is not a beta version that I have received. The get info says
that it is HyperCard 2.0:

   Created: Fri Aug 31, 1990, 3:14 PM
   Version: 2.0 c Apple Computer, Inc

I was referring to I don't know which of the Claris (Apple?) versions I have.
Is this the one for development, or the one that hides things from the user
and may not come with all auxiliary stacks?

>What gives....

I honestly don't know.

>mr 'I can't stop scratching my head from bewilderment" fung

Scott D. Camp   Q8N@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
The Pennsylvania State University
305 Oswald Tower
University Park, PA  16802
814-863-0121

eclement@aragorn.inria.fr (Eric Clement) (09/27/90)

With this decision, Macintosh becomes more expensive : It's the only
system that doesn't comes with a developpement environement. MS-DOS
comes with BASICA, UNIX whith C and shell and Macintosh with
nothing....

Just my 2cts contribution.

SAS102@psuvm.psu.edu (Steven A. Schrader) (09/27/90)

In article <90269.104119Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu>, Scott D. Camp <Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu>
says:

>these five), and appears to be a really good product. I think the HC

I agree wholeheartedly. I saw the beta and they were good but buggy. Now, that
I have HC 2.0 in my hinds I love it. It has so many features that it makes it
really powerful. There are still suggestions I could make, but for now let's
congradulate the HC 2.0 team on a fantastic product!
>development team deserves a lot of credit. Of course, you don't get the
         Steven A.  Schrader (SAS102 @ Psuvm.Bitnet)
         Student Consultant Coordinater
         Student Support Initiative, The Center for Academic Computing
         The Pennsylvania State University

jon@gara.une.oz.au (Jonathan Burne CCEN) (09/27/90)

	I (occasionally) teach people about HyperCard and HyperTalk. I have
seen what happens when the ordinary Mac user realises what her/she can do.

	It empowers them! It puts them in control! It enables them to do
things the way they want to do them. Their Mac sings and dances to their tune.

	Isn't this what the Macintosh it is all about?

	I don't mind paying for a developer package that will give me some
extra goodies but two versions of HyperCard is a really *bad* idea.

	Apple/Claris *PLEASE* get yourselves sorted out and quickly!

						Jon Burne
						Mac Support
						Computer Centre
						University of New England
						Armidale NSW 2351
						AUSTRALIA

maller@applelink@apple.com (Steve Maller) (09/28/90)

Here is the latest word (paraphrased) from Mike Holm, Claris HyperCard
Product Manager, as expressed in an online conversation Wednesday evening
26-Sep on CompuServe:

CPU Boxes
----------------------
Beginning Real Soon Now, every new Macintosh CPU will contain one
HyperCard disk, including the *FULL* HyperCard 2.0 application, a very
simple Home stack with the buttons for Authoring, Painting and Scripting
disabled, and Address stack, an Appointments stack, maybe another stack or
two, and a 30-page (or so) welcome to HyperCard book/brochure. The reason
given by the people who made the decision for the disabling of the
userlevels above #2 is that they wanted to keep naive users from
accidentally destroying their stacks. An experienced HyperCard user will
notice that there is just an opaque button hiding the other userlevel
selections.

Upgrade Package
----------------------
Also beginning Real Soon Now, there will be a telephone number at Claris
to call to order an upgrade package. According to Mr. Holm, you need to be
able to spell your name, have a home address, say "HyperCard 2.0", and
have (access to) a major credit card. For the $49 that Claris will charge
you, you will receive four of the five 2.0 distribution disks (the
HyperCard Tour is not included), and an as-yet undetermined amount of
documentation. Mike says they want to ship the HyperCard Script Language
Guide with the upgrades, and maybe that will be it, the rationale being
that "upgraders" will already know the theory of operation, and will
mainly want to start enhancing their stacks' capabilities. Mike stressed
that the upgrade is only meant for 1.x users, but didn't say how this
would be enforced. There also may be a time limit on the upgrade, but that
also seems to be TBD.

Full Package
----------------------
At some point in the not-too-distant future, there will be a fully
shrink-wrapped Claris HyperCard package on dealers' shelves. Claris has
not determined the retail pricing of the package. This may or may not
coincide with the expiration of the upgrade deal, but that was not made
clear. Also, there will be a full set of documentation with this product,
and possibly additional items. Again, this is TBD.

User Groups
----------------------
Unknown to many of you, there was recently a mass mailing of the release
version of HyperCard 2.0 to all licensed User Groups. Any group with a
HyperCard license from Apple Software Licensing should already have their
disks. Many of you should be able to "upgrade" through this channel at far
less than the $49 offer, and sooner, too. Check with your local User Group
for more information.

As you can read from this news, there will NOT be a "crippled" version of
the HyperCard 2.0 application. All of your input and suggestions have been
read, and are appreciated by all of us. I don't want to speak for Kevin,
Martin, or any of the other members of the HyperCard team, but for my
part, it makes me feel like a million bucks to know that you all care
about the product enough to fight for what you feel is right. I think this
plan will allow us to move on, and most importantly, all of you will
finally get to start building some awesome stacks!

Thanks!

Steve Maller
HyperCard Engineering Team
Apple Computer
-------------
I speak solely for myself in these matters

anthony@cs.adelaide.edu.au (Anthony Dunstan) (09/28/90)

  In article <90270.081033SAS102@psuvm.psu.edu> SAS102@psuvm.psu.edu (Steven A.
  Schrader) writes:
  > ...let's congratulate the HC 2.0 team on a fantastic product!...

I'd like to second that motion, HC has gained much needed flexibility with
this well designed and well timed upgrade.

Just one quick question:
              Is it Beta 50 of HC 2.0 thats gone Gold?

|   Anthony Dunstan          University of Adelaide Apple Consortium   |
| A Macintosh CyberMan             anthony@cs.adelaide.edu.au          |

geb@dsl.pitt.edu (Gordon E. Banks) (09/29/90)

This just proves once more that while apple attracts very creative and
inventive programmers, those who make the marketing decisions are
pure dorks!  How many decisions have had to be hurriedly reversed
after sales slumped or a great outcry was raised?  I'm glad I've
sold my Apple stock.

maller@applelink@apple.com (Steve Maller) (10/02/90)

In article <1529> anthony@cs.adelaide.edu.au (Anthony Dunstan) writes:
> Just one quick question:
>               Is it Beta 50 of HC 2.0 thats gone Gold?

Nope. B68 was the golden calf.  Err, make that golden master...

dak@mips.com (Dave Kearney) (10/02/90)

In article <10477@goofy.Apple.COM>, maller@applelink@apple.com (Steve
Maller) writes:
> The reason
> given by the people who made the decision for the disabling of the
> userlevels above #2 is that they wanted to keep naive users from
> accidentally destroying their stacks.

Ahaaaa... isn't this a little like covering up the trash can so that
people can't
throw away files they might need...

This marketing hooha is cracking me up... Clearly Claris has already
chosen a future product direction and is masking its introduction as a
benefit...

yahoo...

jay@argosy.UUCP (Jay O'Conor) (10/02/90)

In article <41840@mips.mips.COM> dak@mips.com writes:
>This marketing hooha is cracking me up... Clearly Claris has already
>chosen a future product direction and is masking its introduction as a
>benefit...

I tend to agree.  It appears that Claris is targeting "authoring
systems" as a possible next big market, like "desktop publishing" et al.
It's sad really.  I was really encouraged to see Apple take the heat
from software publishers when HyperCard was released.  If I remember
correctly, HyperCard's release was relatively close to the time that
Claris was created.  Apple held on to HyperCard, claiming they needed to
do so with system software - which is what they claimed HyperCard
was/is.
HyperCard really held promise as system software.  Finally, here was
something that might be functionally comparable to AppleSoft Basic on
the Apple II or shell programming on a DOS machine.  E.g. programming
for the masses.  This was one of the biggest holes in the Mac UI - there
was no way to automate tasks.  Granted, there may now be terriffic macro
programs on the market for the Mac, but none of these come with the
machine, and each falls short for one reason or another.  Only with
HyperCard, in conjunction with the promise of Apple Events in System 7.0,
promised the possibility of an integrated means of programming the
Macintosh User Interface.
Now it appears that that dream is dead.  HyperCard is just another
Macintosh Application.  Has Apple abandoned programming for the masses?
It would appear so.

Jay O'Conor
jay@maspar.com

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (10/05/90)

In article <8583@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) writes:
>In article <EMERY.90Sep21105954@aries.linus.mitre.org>
>emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery) writes:
>> >Chuq:
>> >Not gone, hidden -- to protect someone who hasn't figured things out
>> >yet won't get themselves in deep trouble.
>>
>> So now the "computer for the rest of us" has to protect us from
>> ourselves?  Ugh!  Besides, does "hidden" still mean "accessable"?  I
>> don't understand the difference here.  Either it's there or it's not.
>
>Have people forgotten that scripting has always been hidden in HyperCard?
>It has always been the case that one had to go into the Home stack and
>click on "Scripting" to make this feature accessible.

Not really.  Somebody who doesn't mind using the message box can turn it on
from anywhere.  In particular, it's easy enough to have it turned on by
default in any (or every) stack.

| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| Department of Mathematics	|=============================================|
| University of Chicago		| A mathematician is a professional	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|   schizophrenic.--Me.		       	      |

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct4.173732.16943@midway.uchicago.edu> francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
>In article <8583@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) writes:
>>Have people forgotten that scripting has always been hidden in HyperCard?
>>It has always been the case that one had to go into the Home stack and
>>click on "Scripting" to make this feature accessible.
>
>Not really.  Somebody who doesn't mind using the message box can turn it on
>from anywhere.  In particular, it's easy enough to have it turned on by
>default in any (or every) stack.

And these same people will be able to turn it on via the message box in v 2.0.

Does anyone remember the original Hypercard documentation?  There are _very_
few mentions of scripting and HyperTalk [<10, if I recall correctly] and
virtually all of them say "Scripting is not covered in this manual.  Go to
your favorite bookseller and inquire about HyperTalk books."

So, since day one, Apple has effective required the aspiring scripter to go
spend some more money on books in order to write scripts.  Now, they will be
selling the official books themselves.  What's the big hullabaloo about?

pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) (10/06/90)

In article <2346@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson)
writes:
> Does anyone remember the original Hypercard documentation?  There are
_very_
> few mentions of scripting and HyperTalk [<10, if I recall correctly] and
> virtually all of them say "Scripting is not covered in this manual.  Go
> your favorite bookseller and inquire about HyperTalk books."

I don't remember the original HyperCard documentation.  All the
information on scripting I ever needed was available via pretzel-? which
I discovered about forty-five seconds after starting HyperCard the first
time.

Now THAT'S what I call easily accessible.

Eric Pepke                                    INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                      SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                    BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (10/10/90)

In article <1023@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) writes:
>In article <2346@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson)
>writes:
>> Does anyone remember the original Hypercard documentation?  There are
>_very_
>> few mentions of scripting and HyperTalk [<10, if I recall correctly] and
>> virtually all of them say "Scripting is not covered in this manual.  Go
>> your favorite bookseller and inquire about HyperTalk books."
>
>I don't remember the original HyperCard documentation.  All the
>information on scripting I ever needed was available via pretzel-? which
>I discovered about forty-five seconds after starting HyperCard the first
>time.
>
>Now THAT'S what I call easily accessible.

And that was my point.  Here on comp.sys.mac.hypercard there has been a
constant stream of strident posts regarding the hidden nature of scripting
in Hypercard 2.0, and about how Apple/Claris is committing a crime against
nature by selling the full documentation separately.

Well, full documentation has been extra $$ from day one.  What has changed
there?

Hypercard 2.0 will ship with a limited set of stacks.  I would presume that
one of the stacks that will ship with 2.0 will be the help stack.  Now, I
may be being really naive; maybe Apple will issue a "novice" home stack that
will have all mentions of scripting excised.  However, I really don't think
Apple will.  Even if Apple does do that, most every Mac user or new buyer
will find out from the Mac press or from current Mac users that Hypercard is
a great scripting tool, as the users did when Hyper 1.x was released.  If they
want to take advantage of this scripting capability, they will have to buy
a piece of supplementary documentation, just as they did when Hypercard 1.x
came out.  What has changed?  Only this: Apple is now in the business of
selling the supplementary documentation.

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (10/11/90)

In article <2375@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>Hypercard 2.0 will ship with a limited set of stacks.  I would presume that
>one of the stacks that will ship with 2.0 will be the help stack.  Now, I
>may be being really naive; maybe Apple will issue a "novice" home stack that
>will have all mentions of scripting excised.

  Note that the "release" version of HyperCard 2.0 sent to seed sites and
user groups, the five-disk set, had two different help stacks, a general
help and a scripting help.

  It would not surprise me if the scripting help stack were conspicuously
absent from the bundled version.

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (10/11/90)

In article <8999@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
>In article <2375@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>>Hypercard 2.0 will ship with a limited set of stacks.  I would presume that
>>one of the stacks that will ship with 2.0 will be the help stack.  Now, I
>>may be being really naive; maybe Apple will issue a "novice" home stack that
>>will have all mentions of scripting excised.
>
>  Note that the "release" version of HyperCard 2.0 sent to seed sites and
>user groups, the five-disk set, had two different help stacks, a general
>help and a scripting help.
>
>  It would not surprise me if the scripting help stack were conspicuously
>absent from the bundled version.

Ah, facts seem to have proven me naive.

I guess that the conspiracy theorists are correct.  Apple is attempting to
turn all Macintosh users into mindless, clicking drones.

chaz

Say, did anyone notice that the little kid on the 10/6 episode of Twin Peaks
looked just like a miniature David Lynch?

sdavey@hydra.unm.edu (Sean Davey) (10/11/90)

In article <2395@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>Say, did anyone notice that the little kid on the 10/6 episode of Twin Peaks
>looked just like a miniature David Lynch?

not that this belongs here, but the kid was played by someone with the
last name of Lynch.

	Sean

EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ed Nilges) (01/08/91)

It's pretty arrogant to convert a pre-2.0 stack to 2.0 format, such
that the stack CANNOT be used with an older version of Hypercard and
without any backup.  It assumes that the user wants to use Hypercard
2.0, which is slower and which (it appears) behaves differently with
stacks that work under older versions.  This may very well be the case.
However, by converting the stack without backup, you've taken control
out of the user's hands.  This isn't like the Apple Computer I know...
it's more like IBM.

Perhaps I am missing something.  Perhaps a backup is created a la
Kermit.  With respect to 2.0, I am a neophyte, and if any of you
honchos want to set me straight please feel free.  But right now
I'm pissed (angry pissed, not squiffled pissed.)

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (01/08/91)

In article <12208@pucc.Princeton.EDU> EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU
(Ed Nilges) writes:
>It's pretty arrogant to convert a pre-2.0 stack to 2.0 format, such
>that the stack CANNOT be used with an older version of Hypercard and
>without any backup.  It assumes that the user wants to use Hypercard
>2.0, which is slower and which (it appears) behaves differently with
>stacks that work under older versions.  This may very well be the case.
>However, by converting the stack without backup, you've taken control
>out of the user's hands.  This isn't like the Apple Computer I know...
>it's more like IBM.

Of course, the reason you can't open converted stacks with HyperCard 1.x
is that the file format has changed to include new information, such as
window location, styled text in fields, shared hilight states for
background buttons -- lots of things to support the new features of 2.0.

In HyperCard 2.0, when you choose "Convert Stack..." from the File menu,
you get a dialog that says "Convert stack to 2.0 format?".  This is
inadequate, for two reasons:

1) The possibility of problems in running 1.x stacks under 2.0, though
   small, is real.
2) Users didn't get the manuals that describe stack conversion and
   advise making backups, because HyperCard 2.0 is being distributed
   in a way very different from the way we thought it would be.

Therefore, in HyperCard 2.0v2, we changed the dialog.  It now says,
"Only HyperCard 2.0 and later versions can open converted stacks.  You
may want to save a copy before converting this stack."  I hope this is
sufficient warning for new users.  The "Save a Copy..." menu item is
in the same menu as "Convert Stack...", so there's no problem in making
a backup before conversion.

>                                                     ...right now
>I'm pissed (angry pissed, not squiffled pissed.)

Yes, I can tell, because you've made two generalizations from scant
evidence:  2.0 behaves differently with all stacks that work under
older versions, and 2.0 is slower than 1.0.  Neither of these is true.

The differences between 1.0 and 2.0 that may cause problems with older
stacks are really very minor.  I'd be happy to help you figure out what
the problem is with the stacks you've converted.

As for HyperCard 2.0 being slower than 1.x, it's true that for some
operations, especially those that require support from TextEdit, 2.0
is slower.  But, overall, 2.0 is easily faster than 1.0.

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Team
Apple Computer, Inc.

mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) (01/08/91)

writes:
>It's pretty arrogant to convert a pre-2.0 stack to 2.0 format, such
>that the stack CANNOT be used with an older version of Hypercard and
>without any backup.  It assumes that the user wants to use Hypercard
>2.0, which is slower and which (it appears) behaves differently with
>stacks that work under older versions.  This may very well be the case.
>However, by converting the stack without backup, you've taken control
>out of the user's hands.  This isn't like the Apple Computer I know...
>it's more like IBM.
>
>Perhaps I am missing something.  Perhaps a backup is created a la
>Kermit.  With respect to 2.0, I am a neophyte, and if any of you
>honchos want to set me straight please feel free.  But right now
>I'm pissed (angry pissed, not squiffled pissed.)

HyperCard 2.0 slower? Not with my stack (400K of scripts and XCMDs and growing
daily).
With regard to the lack of backup, I would prefer an option to save a copy
prior to conversion, but I have learned to live with it. If it bothers you, you
can always install a handler in your home stack to catch doMenu, and if the
message is "Convert Stack" first send doMenu "Save a copy..." to HyperCard.
That's the nice thing about HyperCard; you can patch aspects of its behavior
that offend you.
So to sum up, yes, you are missing something.

Jeff E Mandel MD MS
Asst. Professor of Anesthesiology
Tulane University School of Medicine
New Orleans, LA

Disclaimer: "Anyone who would let an anesthesiologist teach them HyperCard
programming should be equally willing to let a Hypercard programmer give them
an anesthetic"

P.S. My editor murdered the source listing in my last posting. Sorry.

In article <47827@apple.Apple.COM>, jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

>In article <12208@pucc.Princeton.EDU> EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU
>(Ed Nilges) writes:
>>It's pretty arrogant to convert a pre-2.0 stack to 2.0 format, such
>>that the stack CANNOT be used with an older version of Hypercard and
>>without any backup...
>
>Of course, the reason you can't open converted stacks with HyperCard 1.x
>is that the file format has changed to include new information, such as
>window location, styled text in fields, shared hilight states for
>background buttons -- lots of things to support the new features of 2.0.

You could have done this such that the format was upward compatible:
such that stacks would work with 2.0 and older releases, as long as
they did not explicitly require the new features.  You chose not to,
and I feel that marketing considerations played a role in your decision.
Either the pre-2.0 stack format did not accomodate expansion, which
was a bad decision at that time, or else the 2.0 stack format did not
take advantage of expansion capability...which is a bad decision NOW.

I am speculating since I am not privy to either stack format.  I'd
welcome insight into that, but I understand that Hypercard is not
open-architected at the level of the stack.

>In HyperCard 2.0, when you choose "Convert Stack..." from the File menu,
>you get a dialog that says "Convert stack to 2.0 format?".  This is
>inadequate, for two reasons:
>
>1) The possibility of problems in running 1.x stacks under 2.0, though
>   small, is real.
>2) Users didn't get the manuals that describe stack conversion and
>   advise making backups, because HyperCard 2.0 is being distributed
>   in a way very different from the way we thought it would be.

Thanks for your honesty.  I am sitting here with a DayTimer stack of
my own devising (I am responsible, by the way, for using that copyrighted
name to describe this noncommercial stack) that has effectively been
trashed by Hypercard 2.0.  It is in 2.0 format, I cannot convert it
back to 1.x format (please advise if there's a utility), it runs a
LOT slower because it does a lot of text editing, and I use a shared
copy of Hypercard 2.0 on a file server that is not always available.  I
should have made a copy of the stack before the convert, especially
since I am aware of Hypercard's overall philosophy, which is to treat
disk and RAM as a one-level store, altering disk without telling the
user: but it still burns my ass that I have to use 2.0 now all the
time.

I suppose I have a way of getting my own copy of Hypercard upgraded
to 2.0, but it's still slower for MY applications and I prefer, being
a control freak, to upgrade when I am good and ready.

>Therefore, in HyperCard 2.0v2, we changed the dialog.  It now says,
>"Only HyperCard 2.0 and later versions can open converted stacks.  You
>may want to save a copy before converting this stack."  I hope this is
>sufficient warning for new users.  The "Save a Copy..." menu item is
>in the same menu as "Convert Stack...", so there's no problem in making
>a backup before conversion.

Better, but I have been using Hypercard ever since it was announced
and I did the ConvertStack using 2.0v0, so it is not only "new users"
who need this warning.  I feel it would be best to provide an undoConvert,
an automatic backup, or a utility to convert back to 1.x format, and
it still seems that market considerations drive the decision not to
provide these tools.

>>                                                     ...right now
>>I'm pissed (angry pissed, not squiffled pissed.)
>
>Yes, I can tell, because you've made two generalizations from scant
>evidence:  2.0 behaves differently with all stacks that work under
>older versions, and 2.0 is slower than 1.0.  Neither of these is true.

I just reviewed the initial post.  I did say that 2.0 is slower.  That
has been my consistent experience on a 68020 platform.  Have you tried
Hypercard on such a slightly older platform?

I actually qualified my claim that Hypercard runs different, not just
more slowly.  I said that it appears to be the case.  I found that
"go to it", for example, works differently when "it" contains "card
id nnnnn".  If you want more detail I will create a test stack and
send it to you.

>The differences between 1.0 and 2.0 that may cause problems with older
>stacks are really very minor.  I'd be happy to help you figure out what
>the problem is with the stacks you've converted.
>
>As for HyperCard 2.0 being slower than 1.x, it's true that for some
>operations, especially those that require support from TextEdit, 2.0
>is slower.  But, overall, 2.0 is easily faster than 1.0.

AAaaaargh, that's precisely what I do a lot of...text editing.  My
stacks consist of a lot of functions running on top of Hypercard
string manipulation...things like "getPhrase" to get word n thru m
from a string, and so on.  Does anybody have an XCMD/XFCN of C-like
text facilities?

Where's my Hypercard compiler?

>Kevin Calhoun
>HyperCard Team
>Apple Computer, Inc.

Thanks for your reply, Kevin!  Hate to be such a pain in the butt,
but I actually like Hypercard.

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (01/08/91)

In article <12209@pucc.Princeton.EDU> EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU
(Ed Nilges) writes:
>>        ...the reason you can't open converted stacks with HyperCard 1.x
>>is that the file format has changed to include new information

>You could have done this such that the format was upward compatible:
>such that stacks would work with 2.0 and older releases, as long as
>they did not explicitly require the new features.  You chose not to,
>and I feel that marketing considerations played a role in your decision.
>Either the pre-2.0 stack format did not accomodate expansion, which
>was a bad decision at that time, or else the 2.0 stack format did not
>take advantage of expansion capability...which is a bad decision NOW.

Marketing played no role in this decision.  The 1.x stack format did
not accommodate expansion.

But let's not be too hard on its designer.  He got a lot of other things
right.

>                                   I did say that 2.0 is slower.  That
>has been my consistent experience on a 68020 platform.  Have you tried
>Hypercard on such a slightly older platform?

Yes, I use HyperCard 2.0 regularly on 68000, 68020, and 68030 Macintoshes.
It's part of my job.

>                         I am sitting here with a DayTimer stack of
>my own devising [...] that has effectively been trashed by Hypercard
>2.0.  It is in 2.0 format, I cannot convert it back to 1.x format [...],
>it runs a LOT slower because it does a lot of text editing, and I use a
>shared copy of Hypercard 2.0 on a file server that is not always
>available.

>My stacks consist of a lot of functions running on top of Hypercard
>string manipulation...things like "getPhrase" to get word n thru m
>from a string, and so on.

There's a bug in 2.0, fixed in 2.0v2, which makes evaluating "word x to
y of <expr>" and "char x to y of <expr>" much slower than it should be.
You would benefit quite a lot from getting your own copy of HyperCard
2.0v2 -- evaluating such expressions in 2.0v2 is faster than it was in
1.x.  And if you had 2.0v2, you wouldn't have to put up with the inherent
sluggishness of running the application off of the server.

BTW, having this bug in 2.0 wasn't a marketing decision, either.  :-)
It was an engineering omission. :-(

>                                                      I found that
>"go to it", for example, works differently when "it" contains "card
>id nnnnn".

>Where's my Hypercard compiler?

It's in HyperCard, and it's responsible for the slowdown in commands
such as "go to it".  You can imagine the horror of trying to compile
a command of this type.  Not very specific at compile time, is it?

The 2.0 HyperTalk compiler, overall, speeds up the execution of 1.0
scripts.  Naturally, there are tradeoffs, and "go to it" is one of them.

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Team
Apple Computer, Inc.

crocker@motcid.UUCP (Ronald T. Crocker) (01/08/91)

Ok, disclaimer first: I've never used HyperCard as a programming
interface, and I just bought my first Mac (a IIsi).

I'm slightly confused about a few things.  First, by the discussion
that I've been reading here, HC2.0 has a programming interface.  This
interface is not at all documented in the documentation that I got
with my IIsi.   Kevin from Apple claims (indirectly) that HC2.0 is not
necessarily upward compatible with HC1.x. So, Apple has given me HC2.0
(thanks:->) but it is apparently useless to me as a programming
environment since I don't know how to use it (thanks:-<).

Given the useless information above, I have three questions:
1) Kevin mentions a maintenance release (2.0v2).  How can one get
   this?
2) Is there any Apple documentation on the programming interface for
   HC2.0? If not, what is the best source of information for
   programming HC?

3) Previously, in this newsgroup, someone mentioned a problem with
   HC2.0 and System 7.0b1.  Are apple users in general supposed to get
   System 7 for free or what?  I was also under the impression that I
   was supposed to get System 7 for my system, but it didn't come
   with? Should I expect it in the mail from Apple, or will I have to
   call them to get it? (I bought my Mac on 12/12/90)

Thanks!--
Ron Crocker
Motorola Radio-Telephone Systems Group, Cellular Infrastructure Group
(708) 632-4752 [FAX: (708) 632-4430]
...!uunet!motcid!crocker

cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill) (01/08/91)

Alright, let's suppose that Apple should have been more explicit  about
the effects of converting a 1.x stack to 2.0 format;  in fact, Kevin
Calhoun has admitted as much.

Now let's suppose that I unwittingly convert a stack, and discover that
it does not work the way I want, and would prefer to continue using the
stack in it's 1.x form.  But I can't convert the stack back now, because
HyperCard 2.0 won't let me do that.

I would just get out my backup disk and copy the 1.x version back onto
my hard disk.  No muss, no fuss, no messy cleanup.

If you don't make backups, don't try to blame somebody else for your
problems.....

--

EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ed Nilges) (01/09/91)

In article <47854@apple.Apple.COM>, jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

>But let's not be too hard on its designer.  He got a lot of other things
>right.

You're right on that one.

>>                                                      I found that
QUYO to it", for example, works differently when "it" contains "card
>>id nnnnn".
>
>>Where's my Hypercard compiler?
>
>It's in HyperCard, and it's responsible for the slowdown in commands
>such as "go to it".  You can imagine the horror of trying to compile
>a command of this type.  Not very specific at compile time, is it?

Yeah, it's difficult in an interpreted language with DO statements
to in general compile.  IBM recently announced a compiler for the
REXX language which refuses to compile ANY program with INTERPRET
statements (INTERPRET is REXX's analogue to HyperTalk's DO.)  I
claim, however, that this is too restrictive.  If you do flow analy-
sis you can in very many cases predict what the DOne string will
contain.  A trivial example would be

     get "ANSWER" && QUOTE & "NUTS" & QUOTE
     DO it

The flow analysis is identical to what an optimizing compiler needs
to do.  In the original example, GO TO IT, compilation is even
easier as long as you have an execution-time routine for HyperTalk's
GO TO.

>The 2.0 HyperTalk compiler, overall, speeds up the execution of 1.0
>scripts.  Naturally, there are tradeoffs, and "go to it" is one of them.

WHAT compiler?  Remember, no manuals.  I have just checked and have
found "comment" and "uncomment" but no "compiler".  I presume that
you do some internal compilation.

Thanks for you assistance.

In article <951@vtserf.cc.vt.edu>, cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill) writes:

>I would just get out my backup disk and copy the 1.x version back onto
>my hard disk.  No muss, no fuss, no messy cleanup.
>
>If you don't make backups, don't try to blame somebody else for your
>problems.....

No, I don't buy it.  First of all, I am willing to live with this
enforced conversion to 2.0.  It's got a lot more features that I
need.  Secondly, even if I did have a backup, that does not change
the main point.  This is that a professional programmer will follow
the rule of the older professions, "above all, not knowingly to do
harm."  I know that in actual recent practice, doctors and lawyers
don't observe this rule, but we still expect the surgeon not to
open up our chest and say, "I'm not operating on this turkey, he's
a smoker!": we expect the lawyer to inform us of our rights.

When the decision was made to go ahead and convert you are for-
cing naive users into 2.0 in all sorts of situations you cannot
predict...willingly causing harm.  Since I'm not a naive user,
I have plenty of options including manually reconstructing the
stack with version 1.0, perhaps assisted by special-purpose
scripts.  Other users won't be so lucky.

Ken.Knight@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Ken Knight) (01/09/91)

I've found HC 2.0 to be faster than 1.2.x for many things. There has
been discussion of this before here and the informal quicky tests I've
run show HC 2.0 to be quite a bit quicker. The environment you run HC
2.0 in does have a fiar affect on the speed of the stack. If you are
running under MultiFinder with lots of background tasks running HC 2.0
will slow down a good deal. But, that is acceptable cause now HC at
least lets those processess run. Here is a quicky summary of some crude
tests I did a while back the times are in ticks (1/60 sec = 1 tick)
these were done running MultiFinder on a Mac II all the tests were done
with the screen locked:

                                       1.2.x   2.0x*     2.0
Flip 100 lines in a field                870   1118      260
Flip 100 lines in a container            266    111      114
Add 100 lines in a field (partial sums) 1002    1433     218
Add 100 lines in a field (just total)    311    326       94
Add 100 lines in container (partial sum) 194    159      152
File to Field (tab-delimited 3-column)   1778   1124    1362

* HC 2.0 running unconverted stacks.
HC 2.0 is consistently faster than 1.2.5 running converted stack. It is
almost always signifigantly faster running unconverted stack,too. While
there is no downward compatability that is nothing really new. You
could write stacks for HC 1.2 that WOULD NOT run on older version of
HyperCard and many people did write such stacks. 2.0 provides so much
more than 1.2.x that it is well worth the switch.

--

        Ken Knight, Ken.Knight@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org
      via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (01/09/91)

In article <6045@orange.UUCP> crocker@motcid.UUCP (Ronald T. Crocker) writes:
|I'm slightly confused about a few things.  First, by the discussion
|that I've been reading here, HC2.0 has a programming interface.  This
|interface is not at all documented in the documentation that I got
|with my IIsi.   Kevin from Apple claims (indirectly) that HC2.0 is not
|necessarily upward compatible with HC1.x.

To a certain extent.  THe file format is not compatible at all, but the
scripting language _is_ for the most part.  Most anything that worked in
HyperTalk 1.x should work in HyperTalk 2.0.

|1) Kevin mentions a maintenance release (2.0v2).  How can one get
|   this?

By upgrading your copy of HyperCard through Claris, who now owns HyperCard.

|2) Is there any Apple documentation on the programming interface for
|   HC2.0? If not, what is the best source of information for
|   programming HC?

You will get basic programming documentation with your $49 upgrade from Claris.
There are other, more expensive, ways to upgrade through CLaris that get you
more programming documentation.

Personally, I'd recommend trekking down to your local computer bookstore and
picking up one of the myriad HyperCard 2.0 books which are presently available.

|3) Previously, in this newsgroup, someone mentioned a problem with
|   HC2.0 and System 7.0b1.  Are apple users in general supposed to get
|   System 7 for free or what?

If the upgrade to 7.0 works like past System Software releases, you'll be able
to go to your dealer and copy the software for free.  If you want manuals,
you'll have to buy them.  This may not be the case with System 7.0.

|   I was also under the impression that I
|   was supposed to get System 7 for my system, but it didn't come
|   with?

Someone gave you a bum steer.  System 7.0 has not been released yet, and likely
won't be for a few more months.

|   Should I expect it in the mail from Apple, or will I have to
|   call them to get it? (I bought my Mac on 12/12/90)

They won't send it to you, no matter how many times you call.  When it is
released, you will have to go down to the dealer to get it.

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (01/10/91)

writes:
>  First, by the discussion
>that I've been reading here, HC2.0 has a programming interface.

Yes.  Its programming language is called HyperTalk.

>   Kevin from Apple claims (indirectly) that HC2.0 is not
>necessarily upward compatible with HC1.x.

Well, if we want to talk about degrees of upward compatibility, I
can put it this way:  the percentage of 1.0 stacks that don't work
under 2.0 is much much lower than the percentage of Macintosh
applications that run on the Mac IIcx but break on the Mac IIci.

I have yet to encounter a problem running my 1.0 stacks under 2.0.
For example, the Dartmouth XCMDs stack, which is well over 750K and
contains more than 20 XCMDs, works fine under 2.0.

>1) Kevin mentions a maintenance release (2.0v2).  How can one get
>   this?

Call Claris at 1-800-628-2100, extension 90.  They'll charge you $49
for the upgrade.

>2) Is there any Apple documentation on the programming interface for
>   HC2.0? If not, what is the best source of information for
>   programming HC?

A complete HyperTalk Scripting Guide is included in the package you'll
receive from Claris.

>3) Previously, in this newsgroup, someone mentioned a problem with
>   HC2.0 and System 7.0b1.  Are apple users in general supposed to get
>   System 7 for free or what?

System 7 has not been released to the general public.  Apple
customarily sends pre-release versions of its software to developers.

As for pricing of System 7 and its availability to the general public,
I've just been handed this bulletin.  It's a product update announcement
that describes the Software Update Program, one of several ways you can
get System Software updates from Apple.  This program appears to have
been designed especially for customers who have many Macintoshes.  I'm
including it here because it includes some general information that
readers of this newsgroup may find interesting.

-----

PRODUCT UPDATE

Apple System Software
Update Program

Dateline:
CUPERTINO, California-January 7, 1991

Program Description:
The Software Update Program is a timely, cost-effective method for customers to
upgrade system software on many Macintosh personal computers for one price.
The System Software and HyperCard subscription entitles customers to all
software upgrades of these products for one year.

Significance:
Apple's newest version of its Macintosh system software, System 7.0, is
expected to be released sometime in the first half of calendar 1991.  Customers
who purchase the Software Update Program now, will be assured by Apple that
they will receive product shipment within days of the introduction, offering
customers an easy and convenient way to receive new releases.  The full
12-month subscription gives customers an easy, accurate way to budget for Apple
software updates.  Complete documentation is included with each major upgrade
describing all enhancements, ensuring users get each upgrade's full benefits.

HyperCard 2.0 v.2  is also bundled with the System Software subscription.  This
is the same version of HyperCard that Apple ships with each Macintosh, so
customers can be assured they have the most current version of the software.

Licensing:
The System Software Update Program comes with a "Right-to-Copy" license,
permitting multiple copies of the system software and HyperCard application at
an entire site for no additional payments.

Availability:
The System Software and HyperCard subscription is available worldwide through
Apple Authorized Dealers for $160.

-----

I haven't heard anything about how much it will cost to buy a single copy of
the 7.0 package with documentation.  Apple now sells such packages for System
6.0.x for -- yes you guessed it -- $49.  Also, there have always been ways to
get just the software, either online or from an Apple dealer, without having
to pay Apple anything.

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Team
Apple Computer, Inc.

Disclaimer: I'm not an Apple spokesperson.  But I play one on TV.

bose@milton.u.washington.edu (Rob Olsen) (01/28/91)

I'm interested in getting HC 2.0, but I'm not sure if I want to buy the
Developmental Kit.  It's $150 or so and that too much for me.  I am intertested
in creating 2.0 stacks though.  How good is the developmental kit and do you
really need to use it to make stacks?  Or does anyone know about a place
where I can get one for less then $100???

Thanks

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mmug.edgar.mn.org (Jim Spencer) (01/30/91)

Rob Olsen writes in a message to All

RO> I'm interested in getting HC 2.0, but I'm not sure if I want
RO> to buy the Developmental Kit. It's $150 or so and that too much
RO> for me. I am intertested in creating 2.0 stacks though. How good
RO> is the developmental kit and do you really need to use it to
RO> make stacks? Or does anyone know about a place where I can get
RO> one for less then $100???

The Developer's Kit is misnamed: it is really an expensive beginners kit.  The version that comes with the Mac or which so far is available from user groups for free has all the software that you need.  If these sources fail, the $49 "upgrade" from Claris also contains all that software.  What these two packages do not contain is the manuals but the cheap way out is third party books.  In particular, The Book is a good reference manual and there are several tutorial type books around for a whole lot less t

han Claris is ripping people off for.

--
Jim Spencer - via The Minnesota Macintosh Users Group UUCP-Fido Gateway
UUCP: ...uunet!tcnet!kksys!edgar!mmug!22.510!Jim.Spencer