[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Claris HC vss Apple's freebe

wsinrobg@eutws1.win.tue.nl (Rob Gerth) (01/28/91)

Can anybody clarify the advantages of buying Claris HC over getting it
for free from Apple? Is it only a matter of documentation or what?
--
#						Rob Gerth		      #
#									      #

sm196103@seas.gwu.edu (Scott Cherkofsky) (01/29/91)

In article <385@rc6.urc.tue.nl> wsinrobg@eutws1.win.tue.nl (Rob Gerth) writes:
>Can anybody clarify the advantages of buying Claris HC over getting it
>for free from Apple? Is it only a matter of documentation or what?

I bought the copy that Claris is putting out.  For the $49 you get all the
program disks, and a comprehensive manual chock full of neet stuff.  It is
much better than the old Apple Hyperscripting Users Guide that previously
came out with the program.

The book is indeed 600 odd pages long including all the new functions,
commands and scripts that are availible.  The book is much much MUCH better
than its older counterpart.  The only thing lacking is an introduction into
the art of getting 'round in HC.  This is bad for first time users, but
not a problem for someone who has experience with 1.2.2.

The program, too, has change a bunch.

All in all, I would have bought the book alone, since I judge that it - by
itself - was worth the upgrade cost.

Scott
--
Scott Cherkofsky			"The experience of going through
sm196103@seas.GWU.edu			 life may be intended as a warning

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (01/30/91)

In article <385@rc6.urc.tue.nl> wsinrobg@eutws1.win.tue.nl (Rob Gerth) writes:
>Can anybody clarify the advantages of buying Claris HC over getting it
>for free from Apple? Is it only a matter of documentation or what?

The version of HyperCard 2.0 that's bundled with new CPUs includes the
HyperCard application itself, a crippled Home stack (limited to userlevel
1 and 2, unless you know the word of power*), and Address and Appointments
stacks. There is also a 35-page pamphlet introducing the use of HyperCard.

The user group version consists of five disks, including the application,
a fully enabled Home stack (three, actually), a disk of Help stacks, a
Power Tools stack including a resource mover and palette maker, and many
example stacks. Caveat: I am not sure whether user groups are still licensed
to distribute HyperCard; I think the licenses ran out at the end of the year,
and I don't know whether they were renewable.

The $49 Claris upgrade is available to owners of HyperCard 1.x and includes
the five-disk set with help stacks, examples, etc., the 35-page Intro booklet,
and the Addison-Wesley Script Language Guide.

The $199 developer package from Claris includes the five disks and (I
have heard) 5 manuals totalling 1400 pages.

I believe that the Claris packages are the only ones that include 2.0v2.
Some third-party products also include the 2.0v2 application under license.

* which is "magic", typed into the message box while on the last card
  of the Home stack.
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (01/31/91)

In article <48639@apple.Apple.COM>, jdevoto@Apple.COM
(Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) writes...

>The version of HyperCard 2.0 that's bundled with new CPUs includes the
>HyperCard application itself, a crippled Home stack (limited to userlevel
>1 and 2, unless you know the word of power*), and Address and Appointments
>stacks. There is also a 35-page pamphlet introducing the use of HyperCard.

>The $49 Claris upgrade is available to owners of HyperCard 1.x and includes
>the five-disk set with help stacks, examples, etc., the 35-page Intro booklet,
>and the Addison-Wesley Script Language Guide.

I just received my copy of the $49 Claris upgrade; I am very happy with the
package I received but it's not exactly as described above.  The Script
Language Guide contains no reference to Addison-Wesley.  It has Claris
markings and looks nothing like other HyperCard books I've seen -- it also
looks a lot BETTER than the other scripting books I've seen.

The pamphlet is also not the same as the one that ships with the new
Mac bundled version of HyperCard 2.0.  Instead of an "Intro", this pamphlet
highlights the changes in HyperTalk between HC 1.2.x and HC 2.0v2.

The five disks contain the same stacks as the user's group version,
with later creation dates and apparently only minor changes.  (Example:
the Train Set stack doesn't have to be repaired to make it work ... ).
I am sure that there are other more significant changes, but there
aren't MAJOR differences.

>The $199 developer package from Claris includes the five disks and (I
>have heard) 5 manuals totalling 1400 pages.

If this is true I would definitely consider the term "developer package"
to be a misnomer.  My impression is that the extra manuals introduce
HyperCard basics, along the lines of User's Guide and HyperTalk Beginner's
Guide that shipped as the HyperTalk 1.2.x package with new Macs back
in the "good old days".  At any rate, I doubt that the extra manuals
could be MORE technical than the excellent scripting guide that came
with my $49 upgrade package.

If the $199 package is indeed being marketed as a "developer package"
I would also expect that it would include more than just the same five
disks.  What about the Apple/APDA/DTS externals stacks?  Of course,
many of these are available from "free" sources such as bbs's and
anonymous ftp sites.  At $199, such a package would be a useful
time-saver for some HyperCard developers, but probably not too many
comp.sys.mac.hypercard readers.  Corporate users certainly might
prefer to have their people programming instead of poking around
ftp sites and bulletin boards to scrounge for software.

For most comp.sys.mac.hypercard readers, I think that the the $49
package is more than adequate as a "developer package".

How about a periodic "frequently asked questions" posting detailing
the anonymous ftp locations of the most popular and useful scripting
tools?  Any volunteers?

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

wsinrobg@eutws1.win.tue.nl (Rob Gerth) (02/01/91)

In article <48639@apple.Apple.COM> jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) writes:
>The version of HyperCard 2.0 that's bundled with new CPUs includes the
>HyperCard application itself, a crippled Home stack (limited to userlevel
>1 and 2, unless you know the word of power*), and Address and Appointments
>stacks. There is also a 35-page pamphlet introducing the use of HyperCard.
>
>The user group version consists of five disks, including the application,
>a fully enabled Home stack (three, actually), a disk of Help stacks, a
>Power Tools stack including a resource mover and palette maker, and many
>example stacks. Caveat: I am not sure whether user groups are still licensed
>to distribute HyperCard; I think the licenses ran out at the end of the year,
>and I don't know whether they were renewable.

Well, right from the horse's mouth but....
I got the Apple HC2.0 package via a standing order when buying my SE in a pre
Oct 15 sale. It includes a Home stack---not crippled; but only one---help
stacks, power and example stacks. Also 4 manuals: the 35p pamphlet, a user
guide, a ref manual to HC2.0 browsing and authoring and an intro to scripting;
no Adisson-Wesley stuff though. This seems like a cross between the new bundled
version and the Claris one, Claris being the dominant.

In other words what exactly did I get?
On a separate track: does all this entitle me to the free Claris upgrade to
2.0v2?

--
#						Rob Gerth		      #
#									      #
# uucp:	robg@win.tue.nl			| Eindhoven University of Technology  #
# 					| 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands  #

usenet (02/02/91)

writes:
>>The version of HyperCard 2.0 that's bundled with new CPUs includes the
[stuff delted]

>Well, right from the horse's mouth but....
>I got the Apple HC2.0 package via a standing order when buying my SE in a pre
>Oct 15 sale. It includes a Home stack---not crippled; but only one---help
>stacks, power and example stacks. Also 4 manuals: the 35p pamphlet, a user
>guide, a ref manual to HC2.0 browsing and authoring and an intro to scripting;
>no Adisson-Wesley stuff though. This seems like a cross between the new
bundled
>version and the Claris one, Claris being the dominant.

Looks like you got yours before the announcement that Claris would be
distributing HC and take over support and development.  Or, perhaps, Claris
does not have it in Europe?

>In other words what exactly did I get?
>On a separate track: does all this entitle me to the free Claris upgrade to
>2.0v2?

It surely sounds like you have as much entitlement to a free upgrade as anyone.