[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Lose HyperCard keyboard function during background Z download.

ralph@world.std.com (Ralph Lombreglia) (02/02/91)

Here's an interesting and reproducible one.  When I'm doing a ZModem
download in the background (MultiFinder 6.05) with the well-known
shareware program ZTerm 0.85, I lose some critical keyboard
functionality in HyperCard 2.0v2.  Specifically, I cannot use the
Return or Enter keys in any editable field, nor will Return or Enter
send a message via the msg box.  The Machine (SE/30) simply beeps and
the insertion point remains flashing in the msg box or the field.
Also, the Escape key no longer sends the "go back" message; again, I
get only a sysbeep.  All menu items work (i.e., I can "go back" with
that item from the "Go" menu), and all other typing from the keyboard
works fine.  The only things, then, that I really cannot do are: 1).
manually enter a carriage return at the end of a scrolling field, and
2). send a message via the msg box.

The instant the download ends--*but I'm still online in the
background* --full keyboard function returns to HyperCard.  Any idea
what's going on?  I can easily be in touch with Dave Alverson who
wrote ZTerm, and if it's his problem it would be nice to give him a
clue.

Ralph Lombreglia
Internet: ralph@world.std.com   MCI Mail: rlombreglia   Bix: rlombreglia

n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb2.141422.15318@world.std.com>, ralph@world.std.com (Ralph Lombreglia) writes:
> Here's an interesting and reproducible one.  When I'm doing a ZModem
> download in the background (MultiFinder 6.05) with the well-known
> shareware program ZTerm 0.85, I lose some critical keyboard
> functionality in HyperCard 2.0v2.  Specifically, I cannot use the
> Return or Enter keys in any editable field, nor will Return or Enter
> send a message via the msg box.  The Machine (SE/30) simply beeps and
> the insertion point remains flashing in the msg box or the field.
> Also, the Escape key no longer sends the "go back" message; again, I
> get only a sysbeep.  All menu items work (i.e., I can "go back" with
> that item from the "Go" menu), and all other typing from the keyboard
> works fine.  The only things, then, that I really cannot do are: 1).
> manually enter a carriage return at the end of a scrolling field, and
> 2). send a message via the msg box.
>
> The instant the download ends--*but I'm still online in the
> background* --full keyboard function returns to HyperCard.  Any idea
> what's going on?  I can easily be in touch with Dave Alverson who
> wrote ZTerm, and if it's his problem it would be nice to give him a
> clue.
>
> Ralph Lombreglia
> Internet: ralph@world.std.com   MCI Mail: rlombreglia   Bix: rlombreglia

I have exactly the same problem in the same circumstances. Also keyboard
shortcuts such as command-option-S or B to edit the stack or background
script don't work - while command-option "click" to edit a button script
do.

Neale
Neale Hays
n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au    The University of Western Australia