[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HC2 with HC1 stacks on CD-ROM?

steve@Advansoft.COM (Steve Savitzky) (02/05/91)

This may be a stupid question, but what does HC2 do when you try to
open an HC1 stack on a CD-ROM?  I know it normally tries to convert
your stack; obviously on a CD-ROM this would be impossible.  Does it
make do, or give up?

--
\ --Steve Savitzky--  \ ADVANsoft Research Corp \ REAL hackers use an AXE! \
 \ steve@advansoft.COM \ 4301 Great America Pkwy \ #include<disclaimer.h>   \

bskendig@light.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (02/05/91)

In article <STEVE.91Feb4171428@pluto.Advansoft.COM> steve@Advansoft.COM (Steve Savitzky) writes:
>This may be a stupid question, but what does HC2 do when you try to
>open an HC1 stack on a CD-ROM?  I know it normally tries to convert
>your stack; obviously on a CD-ROM this would be impossible.  Does it
>make do, or give up?

It makes do.  When you open a HC 1 stack under HC 2, the menu
selection "Compact Stack" changes to "Convert Stack" -- conversion
isn't done automatically.  I'd imagine that, for a stack on CD-ROM,
this menu selection would be dimmed.

All HC 1 stacks are read-only under HC 2 until you convert them, BTW.

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (02/05/91)

(Steve Savitzky) writes:
>This may be a stupid question, but what does HC2 do when you try to
>open an HC1 stack on a CD-ROM?  I know it normally tries to convert
>your stack; obviously on a CD-ROM this would be impossible.  Does it
>make do, or give up?

Actually, HyperCard 2.0 doesn't try to convert 1.x stacks willy-nilly
(unless of course you have a handler installed that does so). When you
open a 1.x stack with 2.0, it behaves as if the cantModify were set to
true: that is, you can't make (permanent) changes to the stack. In
other words, it acts just like HyperCard 1.2.5 opening a stack on a
locked volume like a CD-ROM.

When HyperCard 2.0 opens a 1.x stack, it changes the "Compact Stack"
menu item to "Convert Stack". Of course, 2.0 will not be able to convert
a stack on a locked volume, but as far as the behavior of the stack is
concerned, it really doesn't matter whether it's been converted or not.

The main exception to the above is that since it pre-compiles, 2.0 may
choke on script errors that went unnoticed under 1.x; for instance, an
error in a branch of an if/then statement that normally never executes
will be caught by 2.0 when it compiles the whole handler, and 2.0 will
complain at that point.
--
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a