[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypertalk questions for gurus...

rhutchin@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU (01/30/91)

OK, I must confess that I consider myself somewhat of a guru, but I have a
few questions for REAL HyperCard gurus:

1) I'm building a big help stack for something (I'm not supposed to say what).
   So I have a table of contents set up with "Chapter" names in one field.
   When the user clicks on a line that has the name of the chapter, it
   sets the visible of the appropriate field that contains the names of
   "sections" in the chapter.  But I'd like to keep the chapter name hilighted
   in when I write into other fields, so the user can see how they got where
   they are. So here's what the problem boils down to:  How can I write text
   into a field while NOT altering the selected text in another field?

2) "Picture" is a real cool XCMD, except for 1 thing.  I am having problems
   getting a consistent "palette" (Color QuickDraw, not HyperCard meaning).
   For instance, I have a grey-scale PICT2 of a particular piece of hardware
   I am trying to put in a "rect" window, so I can throw some buttons below
   it and then the user thinks they are clicking different areas of the
   hardware.  But in moving the stack between my Mac II and a coworker's
   IIx and IIcx, I have found the palette chosen for displaying the picture
   sometimes is right, and sometimes is VERY wrong.  Mainly, it is wrong
   when the card is not on the screen with the menu bar, but I think it's
   been wrong other times too (although I may be wrong on this one).

3) Does anyone know of a utility to scan DIRECTLY onto a card?  We're dealing
   with a Microtek 300GS, although I may get a handheld for the HyperCard
   scans that must be done?

Thank you very much for any help you might be able to provide.

Richard B. Hutchings
Dept of Info and Comp Sci, UC Irvine

(This post dedicated to our troops fighting in the gulf.  God bless them.)

Rick_McCormack@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (01/31/91)

In article, Steve Maller, <11926@goofy.Apple.COM> writes:
>>In article <9101292006.aa01354@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU>
>>rhutchin@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:
 > Does anyone know of a utility to scan DIRECTLY onto a card?  We're
 > dealing with a Microtek 300GS, although I may get a handheld for
 > the HyperCard scans that must be done?

>HyperScan is a HyperCard stack that ships with the Apple
>Scanner. It scans directly into the card's paint layer using
>some really nifty halftoning algorithms written by Bill
>Atkinson. Unfortunately, I don't think it works with
>third-party scannersI

I have used this with an Abaton, it worked great.

| Rick McCormack |  IMAGISTICS BUSINESS THEATRE TECHNOLOGY    |
| Vancouver,  BC |  Information transfer - with a purpose.    |
|     CANADA     |  ________________________________________  |
|  AOL:  Rique   |  INTERACTIVE  COMPREHENSIVE  ENLIGHTENING  |
|________________|____________________________________________|

maller@applelink.apple.com (Steve Maller) (02/01/91)

In article <9101292006.aa01354@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU>
rhutchin@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:
 > Does anyone know of a utility to scan DIRECTLY onto a card?  We're
 > dealing with a Microtek 300GS, although I may get a handheld for
 > the HyperCard scans that must be done?

HyperScan is a HyperCard stack that ships with the Apple Scanner. It scans
directly into the card's paint layer using some really nifty halftoning
algorithms written by Bill Atkinson. Unfortunately, I don't think it works
with third-party scannersI

Steve Maller                    Disclaimer: I speak for neither my
Software Commando                           employer or for Claris
HyperCard Engineering                       Corporation.
Apple Computer

ahouse@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU (02/02/91)

In article <9101292006.aa01354@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU>, rhutchin@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:
>OK, I must confess that I consider myself somewhat of a guru, but I have a
>few questions for REAL HyperCard gurus:
>
>1) I'm building a big help stack for something (I'm not supposed to say what).
>   So I have a table of contents set up with "Chapter" names in one field.
>   When the user clicks on a line that has the name of the chapter, it
>   sets the visible of the appropriate field that contains the names of
>   "sections" in the chapter.  But I'd like to keep the chapter name hilighted
>   in when I write into other fields, so the user can see how they got where
>   they are. So here's what the problem boils down to:  How can I write text
>   into a field while NOT altering the selected text in another field?
>
>2) "Picture" is a real cool XCMD, except for 1 thing.  I am having problems
>   getting a consistent "palette" (Color QuickDraw, not HyperCard meaning).
>   For instance, I have a grey-scale PICT2 of a particular piece of hardware
>   I am trying to put in a "rect" window, so I can throw some buttons below
>   it and then the user thinks they are clicking different areas of the
>   hardware.  But in moving the stack between my Mac II and a coworker's
>   IIx and IIcx, I have found the palette chosen for displaying the picture
>   sometimes is right, and sometimes is VERY wrong.  Mainly, it is wrong
>   when the card is not on the screen with the menu bar, but I think it's
>   been wrong other times too (although I may be wrong on this one).
>
>3) Does anyone know of a utility to scan DIRECTLY onto a card?  We're dealing
Sorry for all of the extra

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (02/03/91)

In article <9101292006.aa01354@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU>
rhutchin@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:
>   So I have a table of contents set up with "Chapter" names in one field.
>   When the user clicks on a line that has the name of the chapter, it
>   sets the visible of the appropriate field that contains the names of
>   "sections" in the chapter.  But I'd like to keep the chapter name hilighted
>   in when I write into other fields, so the user can see how they got where
>   they are. So here's what the problem boils down to:  How can I write text
>   into a field while NOT altering the selected text in another field?

Basically, you can't -- you can only have one selection at a time.
You have a couple of alternatives:

- After each write to a field, re-select the chapter name. This will work
better if these writes are under script control, since you can lock the
screen before doing your field updates (reducing flickering as the chapter
name is selected and deselected). If you're letting users type text into
a field, however, the only way to keep the chapter name selected is to
use a keyDown handler which places the typed key in the field and then
reselects the chapter name. With this solution, the performance is likely
to be terrible.

- A better solution is to use a transparent button with its hilite set to
true. This button can be placed in the proper location under script control,
so that it covers and reverse-hilites the appropriate line of the chapter
headings field. This is obviously somewhat simpler if the headings field
is not a scrolling field (in this case, you can even create a button for
each line in the field, and simply turn on the hilite property on mouseDown
to hilite the chapter name).
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (02/05/91)

In article <48786@apple.Apple.COM>, jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) writes:
|> In article <9101292006.aa01354@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU>
|> rhutchin@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:
|> >   So I have a table of contents set up with "Chapter" names in one field.
|> >   When the user clicks on a line that has the name of the chapter, it
|> >   sets the visible of the appropriate field that contains the names of
|> >   "sections" in the chapter.  But I'd like to keep the chapter name hilighted
|> >   in when I write into other fields, so the user can see how they got where
|> >   they are. So here's what the problem boils down to:  How can I write text
|> >   into a field while NOT altering the selected text in another field?
|>
|> Basically, you can't -- you can only have one selection at a time.
|> You have a couple of alternatives:
|>
|> [two proposed solutions]

Another solution that I have used in the past is to ignore Hypercard's
highlighting ability and mark the selection by a different mechanism.
Specifically, what I did was to start each line with a space and use the
bullet character (option-8) in character 1 to indicate the selection.
So a selection looks something like

   set char 1 to 1 of line selLine to " "
   set char 1 to 1 of line newLine to "<bullet-character>"
   set selLine to newLine

The advantages of this are that
  (1) it is quick,
  (2) it works even in a scrolling field, and
  (3) the field maintains a permanent record of what is selected.

	--Mark

bayes@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (02/06/91)

> Another solution that I have used in the past is to ignore Hypercard's
> highlighting ability and mark the selection by a different mechanism.
> Specifically, what I did was to start each line with a space and use the
> bullet character (option-8) in character 1 to indicate the selection.
> So a selection looks something like
>
>    set char 1 to 1 of line selLine to " "
>    set char 1 to 1 of line newLine to "<bullet-character>"
>    set selLine to newLine
>
> The advantages of this are that
>   (1) it is quick,
>   (2) it works even in a scrolling field, and
>   (3) the field maintains a permanent record of what is selected.
>
>         --Mark

Another variation that might help would be to Bold the selected
text (only in 2.x).

Scott Bayes