[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Obtain File Directory

Ken.Knight@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Ken Knight) (02/06/91)

mwgst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Michael W Groff) asks:
>From within Hypercard 2.0 how do I present the user with a standard
>file
>selector dialoge box in order to allow the selection of a *folder*.
>Once the path to the folder is available I want to read in the names of
>all of the files inside the folder the user chose.

You have two choices:
1. You write an Xthingie to do this, Micheal. The way to write such an
file dialog is demonstrated in the DTS sample program StdFile (SC.018).
The way you could go about making it scan the folder and internal
folders is discussed in tech note 68.
2. I believe Frank Rinaldi's GetDir external may do what you want.
However, I won't swear to it (don't have the thing here so I can't get
for sure).

Internet: ken.knight@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org    America Online:
KenKnight
            "Goodness me; could this be; Industrial Disease?"

--

        Ken Knight, Ken.Knight@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org
      via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway

psych@watserv1.waterloo.edu (R. Crispin - Psychology) (02/06/91)

In article <3288.27AFE1D7@blkcat.fidonet.org> Ken.Knight@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Ken Knight) writes:
>mwgst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Michael W Groff) asks:
>>From within Hypercard 2.0 how do I present the user with a standard
>>file
>>selector dialoge box in order to allow the selection of a *folder*.
>>Once the path to the folder is available I want to read in the names of
>>all of the files inside the folder the user chose.
>
>You have two choices:
>1. You write an Xthingie to do this, Micheal. The way to write such an
   Stuff Deleted
>2. I believe Frank Rinaldi's GetDir external may do what you want.
   Stuff Deleted

>Internet: ken.knight@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org    America Online:
>KenKnight

I got a copy of a stack called "Support Tools eXternals". I don't
know where I got it. It was written at Apple in HC 1.x and
contains many xcmds and xfcns to do file manipulations including one
that allows selection of only folders and one to get the list of
folders/files within a folder. I have used these in an HC2.0 stack
and have had no problems.

Richard Crispin              Phone:    (519)888-4781
Dept. of Psychology          EMail:    psych@watdcs.uwaterloo.ca
University of Waterloo                 psych@watserv1.uwaterloo.ca
Waterloo, Ont.   Canada   N2L 3G1