[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypercard 2 problem with "on openstack"

rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) (01/31/91)

I have the following problem with HyperCard 2 which is either a bug or
a misunderstanding on my part.  I haven't kept up with this newsgroup
so forgive me if it has already come up.

First I open a resouce fork in a new Hypercard 2 stack called "Tmp"
using ResEdit.  I add a "vers" resouce, or no resource at all.  Then I
start HyperCard by double-clicking on the Tmp stack.  Its "on
openstack" handler is NOT invoked at all, and instead I get a "beep".
If, on the other hand, I start HyperCard by double-clicking on
HyperCArd or Home, and THEN open Tmp, then its openstack handler works
fine.  WHY IS THIS?  I don't get this problem if I never open a
resource fork for the Tmp stack.  (Of course I can get around the
problem by writing an "on startup" handler, but this seems like the
wrong solution...)

I also tried Apple's Resource Mover in the new Power Tools stack, but
it tends to bomb out on me - anyone else have this problem?

Thanks to anyone who responds,
Ralph
(rgonzal@chowder.rutgers.edu or rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu if it
bounces)

maller@applelink.apple.com (Steve Maller) (02/01/91)

In article <Jan.31.08.56.24.1991.11780@elbereth.rutgers.edu>
rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) writes:
> I have the following problem with HyperCard 2 which is either a bug or
> a misunderstanding on my part...
>
> First I open a resouce fork in a new Hypercard 2 stack called "Tmp"
> using ResEdit.  I add a "vers" resouce, or no resource at all.  Then I
> start HyperCard by double-clicking on the Tmp stack.  Its "on
> openstack" handler is NOT invoked at all, and instead I get a "beep".

The problem is that HyperCard encounters an "error" in trying to open the
stack's resource fork and internally aborts the process of sending the
"open" messages. This is because you probably left the file open inside of
ResEdit.

Did you expect this to work? The Mac's Resource Manager is *not*
multi-user, so if someone has a file open for read and write permissions
(as is normally the case), any other open requests will fail.

Steve Maller                    Disclaimer: I speak for neither my
Software Commando                           employer or for Claris
HyperCard Engineering                       Corporation.
Apple Computer

rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) (02/07/91)

In fact, it wasn't a buggy HyperCard or Home stack, but an init
conflict which was giving me problems.  Here's as near as I can pin it
down:

If you have the Gatekeeper Aid init installed AND you're using
HyperCard 2.0 AND you start HyperCard by double-clicking on a
(non-Home) stack which has it's own resource fork (due to a snd, ICN,
XCMD, etc.) then this stack's "on openstack" handler may not be
executed.  The problem seems to arise in the Home stack's "on startup"
handler which calls a handler which calls the FontExists XCMD.  You
will hear a "beep" if you have this problem.  It only happens with
some versions of the Home stack, depending on at what point the XCMD
is called.

This is the second conflict in one week I've had with Gatekeeper Aid,
so I'm removing it and going with Disinfectant init...

-Ralph

chrisj@ut-emx.uucp (Chris Johnson) (02/09/91)

In article <Feb.7.08.59.43.1991.7086@elbereth.rutgers.edu> rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) writes:
[Stuff Deleted]
>This is the second conflict in one week I've had with Gatekeeper Aid,
>so I'm removing it and going with Disinfectant init...
>
>-Ralph

At least one critical piece of information is missing from this problem
report:  a version number.  What version of Gatekeeper Aid were you using?
Posting problem reports like this without the version number isn't really
fair or useful.

Without the version number I can't even speculate in a useful fashion.

Please, if you encounter problems with the Gatekeeper products, send me a
problem report directly.  I am not able to keep up with the newsgroups, so
reporting problems here doesn't do much good.  I only heard about this
problem report because one of my testers happened to see it and forward
it to me.

I would be the last to claim that Gatekeeper products are bug free, but
the current versions are remarkably stable.  Happily, most of the problem
reports people send me are for problems in previous versions that have
already been fixed.  I'm always glad to explain problems and send folks
the latest version(s).  So, for all the Gatekeeper users out there, the
current versions are as follows:

	Gatekeeper		1.1.1
	Gatekeeper Aid 		1.1

If you have earlier versions, please upgrade.  If you can't find them at
your local archive site, let me know and I'll suggest another archive site
or email them to you.  If you're using both of these latest versions and
you're encountering problems of some sort, let me know and I'll try to
help resolve them.  (At the very least, I'll add them to my list of bugs to
hunt.)

I hope this helps someone.

----Chris (Johnson)
----Author of Gatekeeper