[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard questions

twakao@nmsu.edu (Takahiro Wakao) (12/14/90)

Hi,
This is the first posting for me to this net.
If the following questions are asked in the net already, please bear
with them.

What I would like to know is that

1. The differnce between Hypercard and Supercard.

2. Do they have some compatibility problems (e.g. Hypercard stack for
   version 1.2 is usable for version 2.0?,...)

3. If Japanese fonts are available, can I use them in Hypercard or
   Supercard?

I am planning to use either Hypercard or Supercard to create a
nice-looking user interface for Japanese-English machine translation
system on a Mac.

I really appreciate your email reply to me (twakao@nmsu.edu).
Thank you very much.

Takahiro Wakao
The Computing Research Lab at the New Mexico State University

grs@valideast.COM (Gregory Smith) (12/28/90)

Help!

I have a simple question and no documentation so I turn to the Net.

I want to divide the numbers in two fields:

   on mouseUp
      add bg field "foo" to bg field "fa"
      divide bg field "fa" into bg field "fum"
   end mouseUp

What's the right syntax for the divide?  Is multiply the same?
I'm trying to determine the percentage of one field to another.
And, these fields are on the same background and used by
all cards in the stack.

I know this is easy--but not when there's no one to ask.
Thanks for your answers.

Greg

robertw@informix.com (Rob Weinberg) (12/29/90)

In article <556@valideast.COM> grs@valideast.UUCP (Gregory Smith) writes:
>I want to divide the numbers in two fields:
>
>   on mouseUp
>      add bg field "foo" to bg field "fa"
>      divide bg field "fa" into bg field "fum"
>   end mouseUp
>
>What's the right syntax for the divide?

{divide fld "fa" by fld "fum" } will end up with fa/fum in
field fa.

>Is multiply the same?

{multiply fld "fa" by fld "fum" } will end up with fa*fum in
field fa.

dlugose@uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) (12/29/90)

In article <556@valideast.COM> grs@valideast.UUCP (Gregory Smith) writes:
>   on mouseUp
>      add bg field "foo" to bg field "fa"
>      divide bg field "fa" into bg field "fum"
>   end mouseUp
>
>What's the right syntax for the divide?  Is multiply the same?

    divide field 2 by field 3
    -- puts the result into field 2
Same for multiply.  I tested the syntax by typing the syntax into field
1, and used a button whose script was simply "do field 1"
Nice trick for testing variations on scripts.  I think sometimes I've
programmed a field to "on mouseleave   do the selection"

Dan Dlugose
UNC Educational Computing Service
--
Dan Dlugose
Internet: dlugose@uncecs.edu

Gregory.Smith@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Gregory Smith) (12/29/90)

From: grs@valideast.COM

Help!

I have a simple question and no documentation so I turn to the Net.

I want to divide the numbers in two fields:

   on mouseUp
      add bg field "foo" to bg field "fa"
      divide bg field "fa" into bg field "fum"
   end mouseUp

What's the right syntax for the divide?  Is multiply the same?
I'm trying to determine the percentage of one field to another.
And, these fields are on the same background and used by
all cards in the stack.

I know this is easy--but not when there's no one to ask.
Thanks for your answers.

Greg

--
Gregory Smith - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Gregory.Smith

sanderso@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mark Sanderson) (02/11/91)

Hello, I am new to this group and so all the usual appolgies if I am raking up
questions that have been asked before.

Question 1

I am using a palette created from the power tools stack, I don't want it to go
away but I don't see how to prevent the user from clicking the go away box in
the palette. I also don't see any easy way of checking that the palette has
gone other than searching the window list. I noticed that the field palettes
used in the art stack and power tools send a message when the palette is closed
but not the power tools palette. The way I keep the palette on screen at the
moment is to have an idle script that constantly calls the palette up. But
since hypercard is supposed to be an event based system, this is a smelly and
unpleasent solution.

Question 2

As far as I can see, there is no way of a stack knowing that it is about to
be switched out by MultiFinder. The resumeStack and suspendStack messages don't
work for multifinder switches. Is there any way other than using the suspended
variable to know if you are being switched out ?

					Thanks,

						Mark S.