[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] CD Rom stack

ta-sav2@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Sean A Varah) (02/12/91)

I wrote a CD annotationg stack this summer that I'd like to release as
freeware.  For those of you new to CD Rom stuff, CD annotation is
basically setting start and end parameters on commercial CDs so you
can play them back.  Basically, turning the Mac into a very fancy
remote control over the CD Rom player.

The stack uses the Apple CD Rom toolkit XCMDs, and I'm not sure what
the legal agreement is with Apple.  I definitely want to release it
freeware--no strings attatched, but I don't know if I need permission
to use the XCMDs.  What's nice about the stack is that its free, as
oppsed to the $99.00 Voyager stack, which I thought was counter-intuitive
(which is why I wrote my own).

If anyone can help me out, I will post it to the appropriate sites.

Thanks

Sean Varah

     Sean Varah, Columbia University, MA Program in Music Composition
     cello@woof.columbia.edu, sav1@cunixb.columbia.edu (212) 316-5938

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (02/12/91)

ta-sav2@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Sean A Varah) writes:
>The stack uses the Apple CD Rom toolkit XCMDs, and I'm not sure what
>the legal agreement is with Apple.

I wrote the XCMDs.  You need to get an agreement from Apple's Software
Licensing department.  You can call them at (408) 974-4667, or send
them a message at sw.license@applelink.apple.com.  You'll most likely
pay a very, very minimal yearly license fee for the privilege of
redistributing the XCMDs.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"