[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypercard for PC

852028e@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Amari M. Elammari) (02/05/91)

Is there a hypercard version for the IBM PC?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

--
Amari Elammari
Acadia University P.O.BOX 1236 Wolfville, N.S. Canada BOP 1X0

lombardi@cshl.org (Diane Lombardi in Hershey) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb4.204001.23439@aucs.AcadiaU.ca> 852028e@aucs.UUCP (Amari  M.  Elammari) writes:

>Is there a hypercard version for the IBM PC?
>Any help will be appreciated.
>Thank you in advance.
>
>--
>Amari Elammari
>Acadia University P.O.BOX 1236 Wolfville, N.S. Canada BOP 1X0
>BITNET	852028e@Acadia		Internet 852028e@AcadiaU.CA
>UUCP	{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!cs.dal.ca!aucs!852028e

	I heard of something called Plus that is made
	by Spinnakers.  It allows you to run HyperCard
	Stacks on a PC.  You need to have MicroSoft
	Windows 3.0.

   Diane Lombardi
   Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory

bkuo@girtab.usc.edu (Benjamin Kuo) (02/06/91)

I don't read this group often, so I'm not sure of this thread (mail replies to
me directly if you have any questions...), but from my
experience with hypertext/hypercard-clones on the PC:

HyperPad 2.0
Brightbill-Roberts
120 E. Washington St. #421
Syracuse, NY 13202
315/974-3400
$99.95, Req. 384K, 2 floppies, DOS 2.0+

Guide
OWL International, Inc.
2800 156th Ave. SE
Bellevue, WA 98007
800/344-9737
206/747-3203
$495.00, Req. 640K (1MB recom.), EGA or VGA, DOS 3.1, Windows 2.03+ [8 colors]

Toolbox
Asymetrix Corporation
110-110th Ave. NE, Suite 717
Bellevue, WA 98004
800/624-8999, Ext. 299
$395.00, Req. '286, Windows 3.0+, DOS 3.1+, 640K+256K extended (1.5MB recom)
One 1.2MB (5.25") or 720K(3.5") disk drive and hard disk, VGA,EGA,8514,
Hercules video, mouse, etc.

Also: (No info beyond the names)

KnowledgePro from Knowledge Garden
Plus from Spinnaker (cross-compatible across PC/Mac environments)
TenCore from TenCore Corp.
Linkway from IMB

ToolBook runtime is bundled with Windows 3.0, they have a few example
"stacks"--it's basically a HyperCard clone, word for word, hypertalk
for hypertalk statement. HyperPAD is basically a text-based graphics
(ie monochrome, limited colors/graphics) clone of HyperCard, with
much of the same capability but based rather on text (the "paint" layer
is really just text graphics). Guide is the same hypertext, not HC
program it always was. The others are higher end multimedia (excluding
Plus).

For a rundown of most of these programs, try PC Magazine V9 N13, which
at least can give you an overview of their capabilities.

I hope this helps you (or anyone else) out.

Benjamin Kuo

(No, not a MS/DOS person, only impersonating one :-)

Rob_McMurtry@mindlink.UUCP (Rob McMurtry) (02/12/91)

I'm currently running Asymetrix ToolBook for Windows. It works pretty well,
although it's a little slow. There's a package available that aids in the
conversion of stacks to "books". It's called CovertIt! and you can get it from
Heizer Software.