[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] <None>

** Sender Unknown ** (01/10/90)

Subject:Graphic XCMD generates error 123453
Date: Tuesday, 9 Jan 1990 22:19:23 EST
From: <GFX@PSUVM.BITNET>

I am trying to put together a series of XCMDs to generate graphs from
within Hypercard.  Not very successful.  The pascal code works, but the
interface doesn't -- the following fragment draws a gary circle on top
of a card, but completes with an error 123453.  What does it mean?
Thanks.  Stephane

Program Circle;

{$R-} {$D PasXCMD}{U-}

USES MemTypes, QuickDraw, HyperXCmd;

{------------------------------------------------------------------------}
{                        Draws a Gray Circle (it should!)                }
{------------------------------------------------------------------------}
Procedure PasXCMD(paramPtr: XCmdPtr);

var
    myPort                                          :GrafPort;
    myRgn                                           :RgnHandle;
    r1                                              :rect;
    str                                             :Str255;

    {$I Documents:Hyper Card:XFCNs-XCMDs:XCmdGlue.inc }

begin
    InitGraf(@thePort);
    openPort(@myPort);

    r1.top := 100; r1.bottom := 200; r1.left := 100; r1.right := 200;
    FrameOval(r1); fillOval(r1,gray);

    closePort(@myPort);
end;

begin
end.

inm501@csc.anu.edu.au (12/22/90)

	I am posting this on behalf of a friend.  When you print from
Hypercard, you are printing one page at a time.  She is involved in the
development of a language software.  She wished the student can print
off the content (text) from various cards on the same piece of paper,
preferably from HC itself.  Is there a way?  The higher the level of
automation the better, because the users are kids.

	Or can she use some other program or DA to help?

	Thanks in advance!

Ida

sav1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Sean A Varah) (01/26/91)

I'm looking for a math function, Y to the X (I can't do superscript).
exp, exp1, and exp2 don't do it.  Is there any Math XFCNs out there?

Thanks

Sean Varah

                 "It's just full of blatant tonality"
     Sean Varah, Columbia University, MA Program in Music Composition
     cello@woof.columbia.edu, sav1@cunixb.columbia.edu (212) 316-5938

saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan25.163233.27552@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> sav1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Sean A Varah) writes:

> I'm looking for a math function, Y to the X (I can't do superscript).
> exp, exp1, and exp2 don't do it.  Is there any Math XFCNs out there?

How 'bout:

function power x,y  -- returns "x to the y power"
  return exp(y * ln(x))
end power

Len
| Len Saaf, The Institute of Optics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY |
| Internet: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu        Bitnet: SAAF@UOROPT |

fwb@pollux.tmc.edu (Fred Brehm) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan25.163233.27552@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> sav1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Sean A Varah) writes:
>I'm looking for a math function, Y to the X (I can't do superscript).
>exp, exp1, and exp2 don't do it.  Is there any Math XFCNs out there?

Let me dust off some algebra and see if I can help.

		y^x = exp (ln (y^x)
		    = exp (x * ln (y))

Fred
--
Frederic W. Brehm	Siemens Corporate Research	Princeton, NJ
fwb@demon.siemens.com	-or-	...!princeton!siemens!demon!fwb

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan25.163233.27552@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
sav1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Sean A Varah) writes:
>I'm looking for a math function, Y to the X (I can't do superscript).
>exp, exp1, and exp2 don't do it.  Is there any Math XFCNs out there?

No need for an XFCN. The HyperTalk operator for exponentiation is the
caret "^" (shift-6) and works like any other binary operator, e.g.

  get 2^3  -- puts "8" into it
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

grx0644@uoft02.utoledo.edu (02/13/91)

I am in need of a database to a specific function. A friend of mine suggested
that hypercard can be configured to do what I need.

I am interested creating a database with the following fields:

Brand Name : consisting of characters, max of 80
Generic Name:  also made of characters, max of 80
Discussion:  consisting of characters, about a paragraph long (4500 characters)

I would like to search through each field independantly, including the last
field.

Each record would need have 4680 bytes plus what ever the system needs. If it
is possible, I am looking to get a 40meg or greater hard drive.

My questions:

1) is such a system possible on the Mac using Hypercard
2) What type of mac would be suggested.
3) any other constructive suggestions welcome.

I would also ask that any replies are send directly to me, to ensure I read
them before our system skims the post! (our system has been rather flaky!)

Thanks in advance,

Tony

|Anthony Paul Schliesser 			GRX0644@UOFT02.UTOLEDO.EDU|
|The University of Toledo			GRX0644@UOFT02.BITNET     |