[net.micro] Computers are everywhere these days...

wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA (Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI) (04/30/85)

Thought you all might find this item interesting, from the April '85
(no, I don't think it's an April Fool's joke) issue of SPORTS
MERCHANDISER (a sporting goods trade paper), new products listing, page 69:

COMPUTER REEL

Miya Epoch has added the Electronic Computer controlled fishing reel to
its line. ME-1000 C-11 combines a two-speed motor-driven reel with an
electronic computer. The fisherman can punch in the desired fishing
depth, jigging cycle, jigging space, and jigging timer and the computer
memorizes the program and will repeat it until changed. The 12-volt DC
battery-operated motor winds at 280 or 330 rpm, automatically changing
speeds according to the load, and can be programmed to stop winding when
the fish is beside the boat. Suggested retail $1,895. [sic]
Miya Epoch, 1635 Crenshaw Blvd., Torrance, CA 90501

***End of item***

There is a picture of this sort of bulky-looking reel with no handles showing
(I think they're folded) with a panel on the back with chiclet-style keys
but no readily-visible readout (though there might be one -- not much detail
on a 5-cm-sq picture). It looks like a real thing...

I know fishing is supposed to be for relaxation, but this seems a bit much...

Will Martin

ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA     USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin

zemon@fritz.UUCP (Art Zemon) (05/09/85)

In article <> wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA (Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI) writes:

>Miya Epoch has added the Electronic Computer controlled fishing reel to
>its line. ME-1000 C-11 combines a two-speed motor-driven reel with an
>electronic computer. The fisherman can punch in the desired fishing
>depth, jigging cycle, jigging space, and jigging timer and the computer
>memorizes the program and will repeat it until changed. The 12-volt DC
>battery-operated motor winds at 280 or 330 rpm, automatically changing
>speeds according to the load, and can be programmed to stop winding when
>the fish is beside the boat. Suggested retail $1,895. [sic]
>Miya Epoch, 1635 Crenshaw Blvd., Torrance, CA 90501

Well, since Torrance is only a few miles away, I phoned Miya
Epoch.  Not only is this true, but they make a full line of
these things -- 13 different models in all!  The ME-1000 C-11 is
the largest, "Good for the professional fisherman."  The phone
number, should you be as incredulous as I and want liturature,
is (213) 320-1172.  The receptionist is either the worlds
greatest straight-man (-woman?) or really thinks this is a
viable product.
--
	-- Art Zemon
	   FileNet Corp.

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (05/16/85)

Exact reference unknow, but I recall reading about a year ago that
provided you counted digital watched, sewing machines, fishing reels
etc.,  there are more computers in the world now than there are
people!!!

Put that on your stack and smoke it.