[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Possible HC 2.0v2 bugs

tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (seth alan tisue) (02/13/91)

Today I discovered what seem to be two bugs in 2.0v2.  Apologies if this
topic has been discussed before.

Here's two quick ways to crash the system with error #04 (whatever that is).
In the message box, type:

   1)  3 div 0
   2)  the number of lines of cd fld "nonexistent" div 2

#1 crashes instantly.  #2 gives you an error message, saying there is no
such field, and then crashes when you click on "Cancel" in the error dialog
box.

Yes, this happens when I turn off all my INITs, and it happens in different
stacks, including starting up with completely empty home stack.  Haven't
tried it on any other copies of HC besides my own, so maybe I just have a bad
copy (although I got it straight off the Developer's CD!).  But before I
researched more extensively I thought I should find out if this happens to
other people.

--
-----
Seth Tisue  (tisu@midway.uchicago.edu                 P.O. Box 5975

bjornl@milton.u.washington.edu (Bjorn Levidow) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb13.041056.25560@midway.uchicago.edu> tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (seth alan tisue) writes:

 (Stuff Deleted)
>Here's two quick ways to crash the system with error #04 (whatever that is).
>In the message box, type:
>
>   1)  3 div 0
>   2)  the number of lines of cd fld "nonexistent" div 2
>
>#1 crashes instantly.  #2 gives you an error message, saying there is no
>such field, and then crashes when you click on "Cancel" in the error dialog
>box.

(Stuff deleted)
>Seth Tisue  (tisu@midway.uchicago.edu                 P.O. Box 5975
>University of Chicago                              Chicago IL 60680

I just wanted to say that I replicated these bugs reported by on my
Mac IIci, HC 2.0v2, System 6.0.5, with and a million inits.  Guess we
developers are going to have to script around these ones for sure :-(.

\  Bjorn Levidow                    |   Romance is unreal...it's the essence  /
\  Dept. of Psychology              |   of life, but not the reality of it.   /
\  University of Washington         |               ---Robyn Hitchcock        /
\  Seattle, WA  98195               |   It's mine!  All mine!                 /
\  bjornl@u.washington.edu          |   I'm independently thoughtful!         /
--*

ralph@world.std.com (Ralph Lombreglia) (02/13/91)

From article 3305 by seth alan tisue:
> Here's two quick ways to crash the system with error #04 (whatever
> that is).
> In the message box, type:

>   1)  3 div 0
>   2)  the number of lines of cd fld "nonexistent" div 2

> #1 crashes instantly.  #2 gives you an error message, saying there is
> no such field, and then crashes when you click on "Cancel" in the error
> dialog box.

Both lines cause HC 2.0v2 to "unexpectedly quit(4)" under MulitFinder on
my SE/30, Sys 6.05, 5 MB RAM.  I do not get the "No such field"
message with line #2.  I have an array of INITs, but since the
poster duplicated the problem with no INITs, I didn't bother.  But all
I lose is HyperCard, in these instances; everything else stays up and
running under MultiFinder (ZTerm 0.85, MS Word 4.0D, Finder).

Ralph Lombreglia
Internet: ralph@world.std.com   MCI Mail: rlombreglia   Bix: rlombreglia

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (02/13/91)

In <1991Feb13.041056.25560@midway.uchicago.edu> tisu@quads.uchicago.edu
(seth alan tisue) writes:

>Here's two quick ways to crash the system with error #04 (whatever that is).

  HC should intercept any divison by zero and return "INF" (see HC Script
Language Guide p. 102). I get the same result: SysError #4 (i.e. dsZeroDivErr:
zero divide error). I get the same result if I put the call into a script.

  But I'm not using the *final* 2.0v2 (i.e. no d's or b's), are you?

tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (seth alan tisue) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb13.143058.15439@sics.se> ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:
>  But I'm not using the *final* 2.0v2 (i.e. no d's or b's), are you?

I think I am... I'm not in front of my Mac right now, but I remember calling
up the complete version number and getting something which indicated version 2,
update 2, with nothing in the beta field.  It's whatever's on the Developer's
CD, which I can't imagine would be anything but the final 2.0v2.

This bug seems so simple I can't believe it was missed.

--
-----
Seth Tisue  (tisu@midway.uchicago.edu                 P.O. Box 5975
University of Chicago                              Chicago IL 60680

smelly@polari.UUCP (Tom Benedict) (02/14/91)

The DIV by zero bug in HC2.0v2 is known to Claris. I reported it to them
in early December and they confirmed it on their machines. It was knot known until I reported it.!
They did say NOT to expect a fix until the next major HC release (which is
comming with System 7 in the summer.)
:wq
:wq