[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] multiple fields to one

david@bourbon.ee.tulane.edu (David Kaufmann) (02/16/91)

I've got an address stack that has each item (title, firstname,
lastname, street, city, state, zip) in a separate field. When I print
labels (finally got that to work, thanks to Michale Freedburg),
there's a lot of empty space between fields. I'd like to get a more
polished, letter-like look. Since the purpose of the separate fields
was for sorting and selecting, and I can now do that with mark, I'd
like to either a) combine all the field data into one field (with 3
lines in the field for when labels are printed) or print labels as
they are with spaces between eliminated during printing.

Anyone with a stack/script to do either, or some suggestion, I'd
appreciate receiving by e-mail. Thanks again in advance.

David Kaufmann
INTERNET:	david@bourbon.ee.tulane.edu

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov (Yossie Silverman) (02/20/91)

In article <6167@rex.cs.tulane.edu> david@bourbon.ee.tulane.edu (David
Kaufmann) writes:
> I've got an address stack that has each item (title, firstname,
> lastname, street, city, state, zip) in a separate field. When I print
> labels (finally got that to work, thanks to Michale Freedburg),
> there's a lot of empty space between fields. I'd like to get a more
> polished, letter-like look. Since the purpose of the separate fields
> was for sorting and selecting, and I can now do that with mark, I'd
> like to either a) combine all the field data into one field (with 3
> lines in the field for when labels are printed) or print labels as
> they are with spaces between eliminated during printing.

as far as I can tell, you can include any hypercard statement that
generates a string of text into the item description in the 'print report'
item definition dialog.

What you need in your case is a single full label width item which is
defined as:

field "first name" && field "last name"

and then more multi-line fields which define the rest.  It's not hard, and
works as far as I can tell.

Cheers - Yossie

---

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov; yossie@fnccf.bitnet