[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Help: HyperCard has run out of memory.

Julian.Anderson@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Julian Anderson) (02/20/91)

	I wish to use the Technical Notes stack on a Mac SE with only
1 Mb ram, and the TechNotes stack I have is about 1.9 Mb, so hypercard
stops and tells me that it is out of memory. Is there any way for me
to 'cut up' the stack without having to load the whole thing? I have
access to a Mac II with 2 Mb, but I can only use it rarely. I can ftp,
binhex and stuffit, so shifting the stack is inconvienient but
possible (ie techNotes on SE --> stuffit --> binhex --> servervolume --> ftp
--> servervolume --> binhex --> stuffit  --> technotes on mac II). Any hints?

		Thanks,		Jules.

--
 sniveley@comp.vuw.ac.nz |If you can't blind them with science, baffle
 jules@rata.vuw.ac.nz    |them with bull. If _that_ doesn't work, try

maller@applelink.apple.com (Steve Maller) (02/22/91)

In article <SNIVELEY.91Feb19153918@downstage.comp.vuw.ac.nz>
Julian.Anderson@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Julian Anderson) writes:
 > I wish to use the Technical Notes stack on a Mac SE with only 1 Mb
 > ram, and the TechNotes stack I have is about 1.9 Mb, so hypercard
 > stops and tells me that it is out of memory. Is there any way for
 > me to 'cut up' the stack without having to load the whole thing?

Nope. The Technical Notes Stack is quite complex, so you will need a
bigger machine or more RAM for your SE.

By the way, it isn't the size in bytes on disk that makes HyperCard run
out of memory. You can open stacks larger than that on a 1-megabyte Mac.
Rather, it is the complexity of the scripts and XCMDs that determines the
memory requirements. (In 2.0, the physical size of the cards can affect
memory, too).

Steve Maller                    Disclaimer: I speak for neither my
Software Commando                           employer or for Claris
HyperCard Engineering                       Corporation.
Apple Computer