[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] *Smooth* inverted text in HyperCard?

lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu (Peter &) (02/20/91)

Howdy,
     I'm trying to get inverted text (i.e. white text on a black background)
to print at higher than 72 dpi using HC 2.0v2.  The only method I can think of
is to overlay a field with a transparent button whose 'hilite' property is set
to true.  Unfortunately, it appears that if you print a card that has a
hilighted button anywhere on the card (whether it overlays a field or not),
the entire card is printed as a bitmap.
     Is there some other approach I can use?  Or am I asking too much of
HyperCard?

--
|-                       Peter E. Lee, Staff Assistant                       -|
|   Software Development Lab at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst    |

gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) (02/23/91)

In article <LEE.91Feb20100354@quincy.cs.umass.edu> lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu
(Peter &) writes:
> to print at higher than 72 dpi using HC 2.0v2.  The only method I can
think of
> is to overlay a field with a transparent button whose 'hilite' property
is set
> to true.  Unfortunately, it appears that if you print a card that has a
> hilighted button anywhere on the card (whether it overlays a field or
not),
> the entire card is printed as a bitmap.
>      Is there some other approach I can use?  Or am I asking too much of
> HyperCard?

Because of the limitation of PostScript that it can't "invert" anything,
inversion has to be handled in a different way. Special code was written
to handle inverted buttons and the text on them, but transparent buttons
pose a problem since every object underneath it needs to be inverted.
Writing special code to try to emulate inversion of bitmaps, text and
other QuickDraw objects is not entirely impossible, just impractical and
veeery sloooow.

So, to solve your problem, put a hilited "rectangle" button with text on
it, and the text will appear white-on-black at the full resolution of the
printer.

Martin Gannholm
Apple Computer

Exclaimer!!!   I never said it...Nobody heard me say it...You can't prove
anything!