[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Help: visual effect doesn't work

Rick_McCormack@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (02/28/91)

In an article, Isaac Wingfield <ISW@cup.portal.com> writes:

I.W. >  I just realized that none of the "visual effect" card
I.W. >  transitions work on my Mac any more (I know they did, once).
I.W. >  I.W. >  I launched HC from the distribution disk, with no change.
I.W. >  I.W. >  I'm not sure when the effects stopped working; could have
I.W. >  been some time ago. BTW, it's HC V 1.2.5, on a Mac IIcx,
I.W. >  finder 6.1.5, system 6.0.5.
I.W. >  I.W. >  What did I do?
I.W. >  I.W. >  Isaac isw@cup.portal.com

Isaac, they probably stopped when you started using more than 1 bit of color on
your screens.  Hypercard effects only work when you control panel settings for
your monitor are set for (good old) black and white.

ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) (03/01/91)

I just realized that none of the "visual effect" card transitions
work on my Mac any more (I know they did, once).

I launched HC from the distribution disk, with no change.

I'm not sure when the effects stopped working; could have been some
time ago. BTW, it's HC V 1.2.5, on a Mac IIcx, finder 6.1.5, system
6.0.5.

What did I do?

Isaac
isw@cup.portal.com

bskendig@beam.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (03/01/91)

In article <39650@cup.portal.com> ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) writes:
>I just realized that none of the "visual effect" card transitions
>work on my Mac any more (I know they did, once).
>
>I'm not sure when the effects stopped working; could have been some
>time ago. BTW, it's HC V 1.2.5, on a Mac IIcx, finder 6.1.5, system
>6.0.5.

HyperCard version 1.2.5 and earlier don't do visual effects on
monitors with more than two colors.  You probably have a color
monitor; use the Control Panel to switch it to monochrome before you
run HyperCard, and all will be peachy.

Or, better yet, upgrade to HyperCard 2.0!

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."

Mike_Dustan@ucs.sfu.ca (Mike Dustan) (03/01/91)

writes:
> I just realized that none of the "visual effect" card transitions
> work on my Mac any more (I know they did, once).
It's almost a sure bet that you've set your screen to 2 or more gray
levels or to colour. Visual effects only work if your screen is set to
black and white.

Hope this helps.

Mike

al@magimi.meta.com (Al Egan) (03/01/91)

In article <39650@cup.portal.com>, ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) writes:
> ... none of the "visual effect" card transitions work on my Mac any more...

switch to "black & white" in control panel : monitors, or switch to HC 2.0

__
	Alan Egan				Egan Systems
	Grosse Pointe Shores	Metalogic S.a r.l.
	Michigan, U.S.A.