[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] OK/Cancel

gt7491a@prism.gatech.EDU (gt7491a SCHWARTZ,MORRIS JACOBO) (02/28/91)

Is there a way to tell the difference between the "OK" button being
clicked with no text, and the "Cancel" button being clicked, on
the ask command?
As far as I can tell the Cancel button makes 'it' empty, but this is
also the case if the user doesn't type anything, and just clicks OK.
Thanks,
Morris

psych@watserv1.waterloo.edu (R. Crispin - Psychology) (02/28/91)

In article <22964@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt7491a@prism.gatech.EDU (gt7491a SCHWARTZ,MORRIS JACOBO) writes:
>Is there a way to tell the difference between the "OK" button being
>clicked with no text, and the "Cancel" button being clicked, on
>the ask command?
>As far as I can tell the Cancel button makes 'it' empty, but this is
>also the case if the user doesn't type anything, and just clicks OK.
>Thanks,
>Morris

In Hypercard 2.0 (I don't know about 1.x) if you check "the result" after
the response you can find out if cancel was selected. If it is blank and OK was
used then both it and the result will be empty. If cancel is used then it is empty
put the result contains cancel.

Richard Crispin              Phone:    (519)888-4781
Dept. of Psychology          EMail:    psych@watdcs.uwaterloo.ca
University of Waterloo                 psych@watserv1.uwaterloo.ca
Waterloo, Ont.   Canada   N2L 3G1

Jim.Russell@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Russell) (03/03/91)

gS> From: gt7491a@prism.gatech.EDU (gt7491a SCHWARTZ,MORRIS JACOBO)
gS> Date: 27 Feb 91 17:50:52 GMT
gS> Organization: Georgia Institute of Technology
gS> Message-ID: <22964@hydra.gatech.EDU>
gS> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hypercard

While I don't see it in the documentation, I seem to recall that the
result contains something (cancel?) that will let you know which button
was hit to dismiss the dialog.
(I just tried it, it does return "cancel" in the result.)

--

        Jim Russell, Jim.Russell@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org
      via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway