[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Claris $49 vs $199 what do you get?

vogt@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Vogt) (02/21/91)

Hi!

Ok, I know this has been bounced back and forth, but does anyone have
either of these or both?  I want to who the target audience is for both of
these and what each includes.  APDA is selling the $199 development version,
but does that mean its for developers?  I dont know?!

Thanks for your help!
-Mike

amyr@encore.com (A. Roberts) (03/05/91)

From article <1991Feb20.211118.3904@news.cs.indiana.edu>, by vogt@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Vogt):
> Hi!
>
> Ok, I know this has been bounced back and forth, but does anyone have
> either of these or both?  I want to who the target audience is for both of
> these and what each includes.  APDA is selling the $199 development version,
> but does that mean its for developers?  I dont know?!
>
> Thanks for your help!
> -Mike

The $49 Claris package is an upgrade to earlier versions of Hypercard.
You get about 5 diskettes full of the new version, stacks, clip art, etc.
You also get a thick book on the Hypercard Scripting Language.

The $199 package is an entire Hypercard 2.0 package.  This one include
everything listed above plus all the HyperCard User's guides, etc.

You will probably be able to just buy the $49 package.  I bought a IIsi at
Christmas and then sent off for the $49 package from Claris.  I'm not
that familiar with Hypercard, so I bought The Hypercard 2.0 Handbook that's
currently out on the market.  The book is very good, retails for around
$20-$25 (I can't remember which), and was written by Danny Goodman.  I've
been very satisfied with just the upgrade package and the book.  You may
not even need the book, depending on how familiar you are with HyperCard.

Amy Shelton

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (03/05/91)

In article <130821@csftl1.encore.com> amyr@encore.com (A. Roberts) writes:

>The $49 Claris package is an upgrade to earlier versions of Hypercard.
>You get about 5 diskettes full of the new version, stacks, clip art, etc.
>You also get a thick book on the Hypercard Scripting Language.
>
>The $199 package is an entire Hypercard 2.0 package.  This one include
>everything listed above plus all the HyperCard User's guides, etc.
>
>Amy Shelton

I was about to buy the $49 upgrade (I have Hypercard 2.0, but it only
has two fairly worthless stacks, unlike earlier versions).  I thought
the $49 upgrade *was* the development version.

Somehow, the more I read about the upgrades, the more confused I get.
I think it would clear up a great deal of confusion (mine and other
people's) if some kind soul with access to both would post a "packing
list" of what comes in each package.  What books, what stacks?

Personally, I'd also like to know what's in each manual; I understand
"a thick book on the Hypercard Scripting Language", but I have no idea
what is meant by "all the HyperCard User's guides"...is this just the
stuff telling you how to use the mouse and the menus?  If so, it
sounds like it's in the wrong package!

Most importantly, where is the online Help stack (like we had for
earlier versions)?  Where are XCMD tutorials and examples?

So...would someone please take the trouble to post a clear, detailed
list of the differences?  I'd surely appreciate such a posting
(particularly if I see it before I invest/waste $49), and I expect
many others would also appreciate it.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --
|   When I was young, my family bought a color TV.  Our neigbors, who   |
| were poorer, had only a black-and-white set.  They bought a piece of  |
| cellophane, red on top, yellow in the middle, and blue on the bottom, |
| and taped it over their screen, so they could claim that they had a   |
| color TV, too.                                                        |
|   Now there's Windows 3.0.                                            |