[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HC 2.0 speed

mike@pyrite.SOM.CWRU.Edu (Michael Kerner) (02/22/91)

Is it just me or is HC 2.0 incredibly slow?  I've been playing with it just a
little bit on my SE at home and on my IIcx at work and it just seems to
crawl compared to 1.2.X.  Any benchmarks out there?  (Sorry if they've been
published recently, I got sick of reading all the 2.0 bug reports and haven't
been reading for about a month or so).

Mikey.
Body by Nautilus...Brain by Macintosh

kenk@tellabs.com (Ken Konecki) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb22.145702.11953@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> mike@pyrite.SOM.CWRU.Edu (Michael Kerner) writes:
>Is it just me or is HC 2.0 incredibly slow?

Nope, 2.0 is a dog. Try this experiment at home (I used an SE):
     With version 1.2.#:
	 Create a new stack with an empty background.
	 Put on 32 bg fields.
	 Click in a few fields.

    With version 2.0
	 Convert the new stack to 2.0
	 Click in a few fields.

Notice the time lag (in SECONDS!) between the time you click and the time
the cursor appears in the fields for 2.0.

Frankly, I'm not sure if the benefits of 2.0 are worth the cost.

Cheers,
    -Ken K
--
Ken Konecki
"Eat well, stay fit, and die anyway"

tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) (03/07/91)

In article <5432@tellab5.tellabs.com>, kenk@tellabs.com (Ken Konecki) writes:
> In article <1991Feb22.145702.11953@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> mike@pyrite.SOM.CWRU.Edu (Michael Kerner) writes:
> >Is it just me or is HC 2.0 incredibly slow?
>
> Nope, 2.0 is a dog. Try this experiment at home (I used an SE):
>      With version 1.2.#:
> 	 Create a new stack with an empty background.
> 	 Put on 32 bg fields.
> 	 Click in a few fields.

<ditto for 2.0>

Better still, write a button that sequentially "clicks at the loc of
card field i" for all fields, and times it using "the seconds".

Results - running on an SE under MonoFinder (HC2 is slower with
competition from other Apps/DA's) for 36 card fields:

	HC 1.2.5		25 seconds
	HC 2.0			77 seconds	3.08 times longer.

If I lock the screen it takes 79. If I background it under
MultiFinder, it takes 10 ??????

Yes, ummm...
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au ** ADD ".au" MANUALLY (don't trust "reply") **
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179