[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Color Picts in HC2.0

Peter.Cook@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Peter Cook) (03/09/91)

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to bring an object-oriented color
graphic, created in MacDraw II, into HyperCard 2.0? If necessary, I
could convert it to a bitmap, but I need to retain the color. Thanks
for any help you can offer.

--

        Peter Cook, Peter.Cook@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org
      via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway

robertw@informix.com (Robert Weinberg) (03/12/91)

In article <3877.27D8C0A9@blkcat.fidonet.org> Peter.Cook@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Peter Cook) writes:
>Can anyone tell me if there is a way to bring an object-oriented color
>graphic, created in MacDraw II, into HyperCard 2.0? If necessary, I
>could convert it to a bitmap, but I need to retain the color. Thanks
>for any help you can offer.

You should be able to do this with the Picture command. You can
store a color PICT on the clipboard or as a PICT resource in the
stack and use the Picture command to display it in many different
ways. See the "Power Tools" stack that comes with the 5-disk release
of HC2.0x for complete syntax.

I've done this with B&W PICTs but not color.

--
* Rob Weinberg, graphics & publishing ***** Does a falling tree make a sound *
*  {uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      *****   if  1: no one hears it         *

Peter.Cook@f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Peter Cook) (03/12/91)

>Can anyone tell me if there is a way to bring an object-oriented color
>graphic, created in MacDraw II, into HyperCard 2.0? If necessary, I

RW> You should be able to do this with the Picture command. You can
RW> store a color PICT on the clipboard or as a PICT resource in the
RW> stack and use the Picture command to display it in many different
RW> ways. See the "Power Tools" stack that comes with the 5-disk release
RW> of HC2.0x for complete syntax.

RW> I've done this with B&W PICTs but not color.

Thanks for your help. That's _almost_ what we want to do. Can the
Picture command display an existing PICT graphic that was created in
MacDraw II without having to copy it to the clipboard?

 * Origin: Twilight Clone: Macintosh - 301-946-8677 - 10 lines (1:109/421)

leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) (03/13/91)

In article <668797214.1@blkcat.Fidonet.Org> Peter.Cook@f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Peter Cook) writes:
>>Can anyone tell me if there is a way to bring an object-oriented color
>>graphic, created in MacDraw II, into HyperCard 2.0? If necessary, I
>
>Thanks for your help. That's _almost_ what we want to do. Can the
>Picture command display an existing PICT graphic that was created in
>MacDraw II without having to copy it to the clipboard?
>
> * Origin: Twilight Clone: Macintosh - 301-946-8677 - 10 lines (1:109/421)

I wrote a short stack to do exactly the thing you`re trying to do;
namely, display MacDraw II images saved in PICT II (color) format.
In my application, I was not trying to write a "browser" that could
open any old PICT file -- I only wanted to display one from a limited,
fixed collection of images. To build this small image library, I used
the Clipboard in MacDraw II to import the PICT's into ResEdit 2.1, in
which I converted the PICT's into standard PICT resource form, and then
used Steve Maller's ResCopier Stack to import them into my stack.  I
then used the Picture command with the 'resource' argument to fetch
the images directly from the resource fork of the stack and display them.

You can also use the Picture command with a filename argument, I believe.
See the "Hypertalk 2.0: The Book" or the Claris Hypertalk reference
manual for more details.  There are a lot of interesting options to use
with the Picture command.

-Bill Leue
leue@crd.ge.com

Peter.Cook@f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Peter Cook) (03/13/91)

BL> I wrote a short stack to do exactly the thing you`re trying to do;
BL> namely, display MacDraw II images saved in PICT II (color) format.
BL> In my application, I was not trying to write a "browser" that could
BL> open any old PICT file -- I only wanted to display one from a limited,
BL> fixed collection of images. To build this small image library, I used
BL> the Clipboard in MacDraw II to import the PICT's into ResEdit 2.1, in
BL> which I converted the PICT's into standard PICT resource form, and the
BL> used Steve Maller's ResCopier Stack to import them into my stack.  I
BL> then used the Picture command with the 'resource' argument to fetch
BL> the images directly from the resource fork of the stack and display th

Thanks for the informative message. The more I think about it, the more
I think I'm going to recommend using PICT resources rather than
fetching external PICT files. That will make the package self-contained
and more transportable.

 * Origin: Twilight Clone: Macintosh - 301-946-8677 - 10 lines (1:109/421)